Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've thought about having tint added to my car but haven't so far because I didn't want to lose the auto-dim function of my rearview mirror. In reality, I don't think I will.

Does this make sense:

By tinting the rear window, obviously less light will be allowed in. My initial thought was that this would defeat the auto-dim mirror. But does it? The auto-dim seems to works progressively the brighter things are behind you. Wouldn't the tint in the rear window just cause the mirror to dim only when lights from behind begin to overcome the window tint itself? The mirror doesn't have to dim as much or as soon since the now darkened window carrys some of the load and blocks light.

Hopefully you understand what I'm saying. Thoughts?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Reading Topic: Adding tint w/ Auto-dim mirror

My husband's Silverado has a tinted rear window and we have an auto-dimming mirror that we had put in after we bought the truck. It still works - Just compensates for the tint and maybe doesn't tint as quickly as it would if the window were not tinted. :)

·
Registered
837 Posts

Yep, my Mazda6 auto-dimming mirror still works eventhough I have tint on my car. I have the maximum legal tint in Ontario which is I think 15%. It is quite light but does work in a bright sunny days. At night, I can tell the dimming mirror works, it gets greener. Mind you that the dimming action will not start to work until I guess the light penetrate the tint.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

I had 15% on my Supra when I initially bought it before I had to strip it off to pass inspection. I re-tinted the windows, but only at 25%. I'd have to say that I never flipped my mirror at night with 15%. It was dark enough to take away the harshness of headlights in the rear view, even brights! At 25%, I had to flip my mirror at night. The auto-dimming mirror may work with 15%, but I'd have to ask: "is it necessary with 15%?"

·
Registered
837 Posts

At 15%, it is not necessary but there is a decrease in glare nevertheless. You just get a soft greenish light dot on the mirror. It is kind of cool but not as useful as if you did not have 15% tint.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts