Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
generally speaking there are not preouts, you will need a line output converter to convert to rca's, or find an amp with low level inputs.

·
Registered
705 Posts
What he said only you want high level inputs. Speaker level is high level. RCA's are low level.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is there a way to add a sub/amp to the 2003 factory 6i stereo? Are there pre-amp outs?
[/b]
It's not that hard of an hard install. just pull the doors and take from the speakers. run it along the door sills and wire it up in the trunk. One thing of note tho, when you wire it up to your ignition (assuming that's how you're going to wire it) the steering column cover will never fit the same ;)

if you want more info on doing it, pm me, i did a full install this summer on my 6i.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I suggest splicing the wires behind the head-unit.. that way you don't have to take the ignition apart. Running down the sills from behind the HU or from the doors is pretty much the same difference. Don't splice the signal from the rear speakers.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I was about to create a new topic before I found this one.. Good thing I searched.

Is there a full how-to on installing the LOC's, and amp wiring kits? All I know is that you're supposed to take the power cable, hook it up to the positive terminal, drill thru the firewall, run it underneath the door sills (both front and back?), and into the trunk, and I'm assuming for the signal cables, you'd have to run them from behind the HU (assuming you put the LOC behind the HU), and run it on the opposite side, underneath the door sills, and into the trunk?

I'm probably missing a few wires here... lol.

And, for the LOC's, well.. I have NO IDEA how to hook them up to the HU.. Do you just splice wires?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I was about to create a new topic before I found this one.. Good thing I searched.

Is there a full how-to on installing the LOC's, and amp wiring kits? All I know is that you're supposed to take the power cable, hook it up to the positive terminal, drill thru the firewall, run it underneath the door sills (both front and back?), and into the trunk, and I'm assuming for the signal cables, you'd have to run them from behind the HU (assuming you put the LOC behind the HU), and run it on the opposite side, underneath the door sills, and into the trunk?

I'm probably missing a few wires here... lol.

And, for the LOC's, well.. I have NO IDEA how to hook them up to the HU.. Do you just splice wires?
[/b]
amp wiring kit, you'll need to run that from the battery all the way to the trunk, so under the front and back door sills, preferably on the driver side (shorter run). you would run it to the trunk if you were putting your amps in the trunk,

as for the loc, you would need to splice into the speaker wires, it would probably be easier behind the dash, best idea would to take the signals from the front speakers (least amount of eq'ing done to them) and then you run more wires to the trunk

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
amp wiring kit, you'll need to run that from the battery all the way to the trunk, so under the front and back door sills, preferably on the driver side (shorter run). you would run it to the trunk if you were putting your amps in the trunk,

as for the loc, you would need to splice into the speaker wires, it would probably be easier behind the dash, best idea would to take the signals from the front speakers (least amount of eq'ing done to them) and then you run more wires to the trunk [/b]
So, splice the LOC into the wiring harness of the HU... Which wires, and which harness?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
LF+ LF- RF+ RF-

outputs will be RCA's

I don't have harnesses or colors on me at work, I'm sure wire colors and which harness it is (I believe only one comes out the back of it) is posted on this board

·
Registered
141 Posts
drill thru the firewall, run it underneath the door sills (both front and back?), and into the trunk, and I'm assuming for the signal cables, you'd have to run them from behind the HU (assuming you put the LOC behind the HU), and run it on the opposite side, underneath the door sills, and into the trunk?

--do not drill through the firewall...---i repeat.--do not drill through the firewall....the power cable should run through the rubber piece that all the other wires run through, from the engine bay to the inner compartment.....its very diffucult to push the power cord through but YOU CAN DO IT :thumbup: ...and then yes..run it to the trunk.. under the door sills...yadayada...its not difficult just time consuming.....make sure ur power cord is nothing less than 4guage....(more power....less chance of starting a fire...)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
drill thru the firewall, run it underneath the door sills (both front and back?), and into the trunk, and I'm assuming for the signal cables, you'd have to run them from behind the HU (assuming you put the LOC behind the HU), and run it on the opposite side, underneath the door sills, and into the trunk?

--do not drill through the firewall...---i repeat.--do not drill through the firewall....the power cable should run through the rubber piece that all the other wires run through, from the engine bay to the inner compartment.....its very diffucult to push the power cord through but YOU CAN DO IT :thumbup: ...and then yes..run it to the trunk.. under the door sills...yadayada...its not difficult just time consuming.....make sure ur power cord is nothing less than 4guage....(more power....less chance of starting a fire...) [/b]
Where would the rubber grommet be? Last time I was looking at the firewall, I couldn't see any.. Would I have to remove anything in order to access it?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Where would the rubber grommet be? Last time I was looking at the firewall, I couldn't see any.. Would I have to remove anything in order to access it?
[/b]
It's behind the battery. I taped the power wire to a straightened out coat hanger and fed it through the grommet that way.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Perfect. I'll try it tomorrow.... Should I be removing the battery to do this, or can I squeeze through?
[/b]
Remove batt. Much easier. Im not even suer it would be possible with the batt in.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Ok.. soooo, I tried running the power cable through the grommet today, no luck..

Does the power cable run through the grommet like the rest of the million wires, or do I have to poke a whole through the lip of the grommet and feed it through that?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
keep poking throught the lip and you'll have to make a tiny hole. If it ends up being to big once you're all said and done, put some silicone there.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
keep poking throught the lip and you'll have to make a tiny hole. If it ends up being to big once you're all said and done, put some silicone there. [/b]
Yeah, that's what I thought. The wires inside the grommet itself won't allow a power cable to go through, so I tried through the lip before, and it was hard as balls.....

What'd you use? I tried the coat hanger trick, and the lip just bent the cable, while the hanger poked through.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts