Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm suprised Mazda didn't put something as simple as an under hood light in the 6, so I thought I'd put my own in. BTW, this was done on a stock V6, if you have the 4 cylinder or other aftermarket engine parts, you'll want to check for clearance issues and make sure the lights & transformer don't hit anything when you close the hood.

I got the 12" white cold cathodes from Oznium.com, $7 for 2 lights and a transformer is pretty inexpensive IMO. The lights come with square acrylic caps that are glued onto the tubes and can make the light kind of bulky. If you hold one end under the broiler and heat it up for a minute you can pull the square caps right off. Be careful not to bend or twist the outside tube because the glass tube on the inside is fragile and will break. Once they're off, I used RCA cap protectors on the ends to seal the tubes and keep dirt out. The pics below show those steps:

Your local audio install shop will usually give you the RCA caps for free, but if not, a hardware store has screw cap protectors ($0.40 ea) that are the same size, but green (a black sharpie can change the color). Also, OSH Hardware has white door stop tips (6 for $1) which are also the same size. If it's hard to fit on the tube, just heat it up on the stove for a few seconds and it'll slip right on.

I used zip ties to hold the lights & transformer to the hood liner. A screw driver was used to punch the holes for the zip ties. Be careful not to puncture the rubber hoses for the windshield sprayers that are behind the hood liner. They recommend wrapping the transformer in electrical tape and using silicon on the ends of the lights and any connections to keep moisture out, which is what I did.

This next pic shows how I ran the wires from the transformer down the driver's side to the switch. Black wire goes to pretty much any metal screw you can find in the engine bay. Red wire goes to the switch and then to a constant 12v. I tapped into the main fuse in the fuse panel.

The switch I used was from Radio Shack and was just glued into the hole that was already there. Make sure you look at the back of the package and get the one that says it's normally closed, that way the lights will turn on when the hood is opened and go off when it's closed, not the other way around.

Enjoy !

-Nik

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Nice. Gotta read up on the light stuff cuz I'm a lil' B.... when it comes to these types of mods.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I'm suprised Mazda didn't put something as simple as an under hood light in the 6, so I thought I'd put my own in.

Anyone know which wires to tap off of to get Constant 12v and Ignition On 12v from the interior ?? I need to finish up my fog light install and some other projects.

-Nik
[/b]
Whats up nik... Merry Christmas,

1st off i cant see the pics, and second do u wear glasses bcuz slowly but surely you seem to be puttin lights everywhere... :yesnod: lol

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whats up nik... Merry Christmas,

1st off i cant see the pics, and second do u wear glasses bcuz slowly but surely you seem to be puttin lights everywhere... :yesnod: lol
[/b]
Well, I am getting older and I prolly do need glasses. lol I think I've turned into a "show" guy, 'cuz that's just about all I've done to this car unlike my Dodge which was primarily go fast engine parts. Maybe one day I'll turbo this car.

Hmmm, pics should show now.

Later man,

-Nik

Very nice placement of the lights. Cathodes right? I like the effect. And the "refridgerator" switch is a nice touch!
[/b]
Thanks, it turned out just the way I wanted it. And yeah, they're cold cathodes from Oznium.com The white ones are a VERY bright, pure white. I love 'em. The switch is from Radio Shack:
[attachmentid=18089]

-Nik

Attachments

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
The mods should sticky this.Great write-up.This is a mod I might look at doing now.
[/b]
I think written instructions for the electrical impaired (ME!!!) would be nice.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Shane:
I am getting the pics up, no "x" mark on my end. And I viewed this last night on my home laptop running IE7 and now at work running IE6. Both views fine for me. *shrug*
[/b]
I looked before on my laptop @ home and now im on the job same thing.. home ie6, job ie7, ill try it from my sidekick

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
hey dude nice write up and nice mod first off :)

Im not sure off hand what 12v constant is, but i believe fuse #15 (radio or cig lighter) is gonna be your switched power, look in the owners manual for the interior fuses diagram and the #'s are there.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Added some directions to the install in case people weren't that familiar with electrical work. Also, any lights can be used in place of the cold cathodes, (i.e. LED strips, Neon tubes, even just a bulb & socket, etc.).

-Nik

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.