Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a hard time seeing what was in the storage bins at night so I installed a cold cathode in each bin and one switch that controls both. They are wired to a constant 12v so that they can turn on whether the car is on or off.

Wiring:

If you use gloves and hold the end of the cathode under the broiler for a few seconds, the glue will melt and the ugly square end caps will pull off very easily. Makes the lights less bulky.

Upper Armrest Storage Bin:
There are 2 screws that hold the armrest to the hinge and then one more screw at the top near the lever. Then, the inner plastic can be popped off from its fabric cover.

To make the 4 holes for the zip ties, I used a small flat head screwdriver and heated it up on the stove and pressed it into the plastic like a hot knife through butter. You can barely see the black wires on the right side near the hinge:

Lower Storage Bin:
Remove the cupholder. Remove the shift boot or shift plate. Remove the 6 screws holding the long lower center console. There are 2 under the radio/HVAC, 2 in the center near the shifter & 2 in the storage bin. The 4 outside screws (under the plastic caps) do not have to be removed.

4 holes for the zip ties like I did above and drilled a hole for the wires.

Switch:

-Nik

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Awesome, very clean too. Nice work.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I would to hear more about how you wired it as well and maybe a few night shots?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The cathodes I got from http://www.oznium.com/cathode-kit

The white ones are hella bright, so I'll prolly end up replacing it with a red one and put the white one in the bin below it.

[attachmentid=17839][attachmentid=17840]

-Nik

Attachments

·
Registered
536 Posts
awesome link!!! Just ordered 4 12" tubes and a switch for my footwells. Thanks! Clean work by the way and thanks for the diagrams

1 - 11 of 11 Posts