Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I noticed that the 2018-2020 Mazda 6 Sport, Touring and Grand Touring have different tail-lights than the Grand Touring Reserve and Signature. Specifically, the trunk-lid part of the tail lights do not light up with the parking lights activated.

Is there anyway I can add an LED bulb so that it does light up like it lights up on Grand Touring Reserve/Signature trim levels?

·
Super Moderator
17,219 Posts
If you're willing to do some splicing and running a few wires, I don't see why not.

Before I write this - do this at your own discretion and be sure to check that everything is just wired directly. There are things, like the trunk light, which have tiny microchips on them and, if you screw with it, you can permanently blow the board and need a new one. I don't know if any of the tails have this same thing or not, but it's worth checking.

Other thing to note, the wire you splice into below assumes it's NOT the wire used to control the brake lights, but a static On/Off 12v source from somewhere Where that is, I don't know.

Disconnect the battery.
Splice a new wire into the one that turns on with parking light.
Run that wire into the plastic tubing that connects to the trunk lights.
Remove and cap off the wires going to the trunk lights that don't work the way you want.
Add the new wire to the place you just removed the others from.

Now both sets of lights turn on together.

For Example: I spliced into my 1st gen's front side marker lights to add some halos to my headlights and they would turn on with parking lights on.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Is there a spot in that housing to put in a bulb? On the higher trims it's an integrated LED light. Not serviceable with a bulb / no spot to put one.

You might have better luck swapping the trunk light assembly from a salvaged car (if you can find them).

Question is, is the wiring to the trunk lid the same in lower trims as in higher trims?

If you really want to get into it first thing I'd do is try to find a schematic to see how OEM is wired up. Then I'd pull the trunk lid liner and take a look at the wiring you've got. Maybe get out a multi-meter for testing. That's all assuming you have a spot to put a bulb or are willing to swap the housings.

The RBCM (rear body control module) is the electronic controller for much of the rear of the car. That's the one you want to be careful with. Inadvertently damaging that will not be a cheap fix. This is the electronic controller @Byakuya was referring to in his post.

As a side note I think there's an accent strip in the tail light housing itself on the higher trims that's also not present in the lower trims. Might look a little goofy to have it on the trunk and not in the tail light as well. Unless I'm wrong. Or if that's the look you're going for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts