Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone notice one particular member acting like a jerk where people are asking for helpful info?

Not calling anyone out, but it never fails that someone is asking for help and this member responds with a bullying or downgrading comment.

It’s almost a guarantee that I review the weekly update email and this person is on there posting to try and make someone look stupid.

Sometimes they will provide some helpful info, but usually they will also look to belittle someone who doesn’t know as much as them.

Everyone has a bad day from time to time and takes it out on the internet, but the negativity and shame brought forth by this user does not make the site a welcoming place.

There are plenty of kind and helpful people on this site, so to all the new members on here, don’t let this one jerk deter you from the site.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's always going to be someone that has to be a Ass they just can't help it, but if you respond to them with a comment that they don't like it's all hell & fire for them.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
You know, All ought to be just a bit less up-tight re the perceived "tone" of comments. Absent actual physical/visual contact with any individual you're talking to a bunch of the conversation is "missing". Folks would be truly surprised at how much we communicate non-verbally with one another.

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
Anyone notice one particular member acting like a jerk where people are asking for helpful info?
Your point? Im guessing you posted this with a seething, loathsome attitude, but id probably be wrong, cause, i cant see your face. Who cares how someone acts to someone else? Did i ever say anything directly to you? I know youre referring to me, cause, i expect people to act like adults, if they are over 18 and if that offends you, good luck dealing with people in person.

If you have an issue, there are things you can do:
1. Report the post if you think it breaks the rules.
2. Go to another forum if you need info and think its too "mean" around here.
3. Mind your own business.

·
Administrator
2021 Mazda6 Carbon Edition
8,696 Posts
As with every forum/chat I've seen, there's a few members that may be a little "rough around the edges", so to speak.

It doesn't just happen online either. Have you ever ran into a situation where someone at a help desk basically goes berserk when the same question or comment is made to him/her about 80 times a day?

It happens. It may happen to others more than not, but all the same.

Rest assured, we've had both current and former members be warned and/or suspended for some nasty behavior on here, and our current crop of Mods/Admin are well aware of the histories of not only current members, but also former members of this and other forums that thought they were "too good" or "more important" than others. Some of these people single-handedly killed off an otherwise useful/friendly forum due to their "holier than thou" attitudes.

Forums come and go, but name another forum that's been running for 20 years strong based on a midsize family sedan that's now all but been abandoned by it's maker.

I've been around long enough to see all this, and I feel it's taught me more than a few things over the years, so here's our philosophy/thoughts:

1. Some snide comments and/or opinions are tolerated, since everyone is entitled to their opinion and should have the opportunity to express it, however, when it turns into a ugly battle with name-calling and insults against one's religion, beliefs, sexual orientation, etc, and become personal in nature, then actions are taken, whether by a warning, or a timed suspension from the forum.

2. Given the hatred and evil that exists in today's world, and the human race becoming more intolerant of differing opinions and beliefs, none of that will be allowed to bleed into or infiltrate this forum. We're here to ask questions and talk about Mazda in general and the Mazda6 in particular.

3. If you feel that another member is frequently and personally hitting "below the belt" directly at you, you still have the option to report the post, and the Mods/Admin will address it.

4. Before inquiring about something that's probably been visited and revisited ad-nauseum, run a few keyword searches and peruse through the related topics to find a solution or an answer.

5. For the most part, we're all adults on here, and we all should be acting like one, whether it's asking or answering a question or offering an opinion. If you want a helpful answer, then be thorough and descriptive when asking the question, and be as polite and mature as you'd wish for them to be with you.

·
Administrator
18,692 Posts
My $0.02 as well.

GG and I discussed this one a bit before replying. I have been on, and still am, a LOT of forums/message boards. There are extremely few (if any) that have remained as friendly and upbeat as this one has for such a long period of time.

To me, it's all a matter of perspective and context. Overall, the member I'm sure we all know who you're talking about, is one of the most helpful, most responsive, and most knowledgeable members still on this forum. I work in IT and I'm a very patient person, but even I get flustered when I've been asked the same question 30 times, particularly one that I've already answered in writing, for all to see, if they just looked a little harder.

Like GG said - we vehemently support freedom of speech so long as you don't degrade the conversation to name-calling. If someone strongly disagrees with you and/or points out your flaws, that's part of life, and you can either accept it and change, stand your ground because you believe in it, walk away and not get involved, or try to silence them because you don't like what they said, regardless if it's true.

I recently got a report in because someone didn't like what was said, but I rejected it because what was said was 100% accurate, and it was only reported because someone didn't like the way it was phrased. If someone is legitimately being awful, then report it and we'll look at it. If there are enough reports, we'll take proper actions to keep this place happy as a whole.

·
Registered
2014 Mazda 6 GT & 2006 Mazda 6 GT-MT HB
983 Posts
If you have an issue, there are things you can do:
1. Report the post if you think it breaks the rules.
2. Go to another forum if you need info and think its too "mean" around here.
2. Mind your own business.
Shouldn't the last one be 3?

·
Registered
983 Posts
To me, the last one was the jerkiest one... :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: TalonTsi90

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
To me, the last one was the jerkiest one... :ROFLMAO:
Sometimes truth hurts (shrug). I dont recall ever being sharp with the OP, so my take on stuff is "why be offended for someone else who isnt?". Or, if i dont offend YOU personally, why do you care?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Wait !!!!.... was it you?

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
You got clearance?

If I had to guess, you're either in Sec/Compliance or App Dev
Yes and no, plain ole help desk for now. Supporting too many idiots making more money than me, that cant even use Outlook properly, a good chunk of them are devs lol.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yes and no, plain ole help desk for now. Supporting too many idiots making more money than me, that cant even use Outlook properly, a good chunk of them are devs lol.
That sounds about right. It's insane the amount of tech people who need help with the basic stuff. I did the same for quite awhile. Thankfully moved out of that at the beginning of the year and do consulting and cloud infrastructure administration. Still have to deal with those help desk related needs once a week or so lol I don't think it's possible to escape it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts