Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it looks like my paint has nasty waterspots that won't come out. I used professional 3m cutting compound with an orbital buffer and no dice. I've used everything i can think of so as a last resort, i decided to wet sand a section. While taking out the water marks, i don't think i want to put the effort into going over the entire car. It would literally take days for an inexperienced paint guy like me. I got that armor coat from the dealer when i purchased it about 2 years ago, so hopefully i can get them to cover it under warranty. anybody have this happen to them and got it taken care of?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
No, and unforunately in this area of Virginia, acid rain type damage is expressly NOT warranted. This area is the 2nd worst in the US for acid rain. Wet sanding and a repray of clear coat to build it back up is the best fix. Good luck at the dealer, but read the warranty packet that should have come with the (big rip-off) armor coat stuff.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So after all of this time arguing with the warranty company (Guardian), they are going to cover a wet sand and buff of the entire vehicle to the tune of $300. The car goes in next week so we'll see what happens... I guess sometimes it pays to keep bitchin:D

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
pics? Wouldnt a build op coat of wax ward off such damage? You guys and your acid rain. Drugs are bad.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pics to come on tuesday, they're on my work pc. Windshield also has spotting so they're going to try steel wool or something along those lines... Hopefully that does the trick.

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,550 Posts
Sorry to hear about the paint, but you did well getting it covered by the warranty company.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I just got the environmental warranty package offered by my local dealer to protect against this very thing. 5 years paint protection from rust, spotting, or fading due to acid rain, bird poop, clear coat flaking, and "under the paint" rusting. they did a full detail of the exterior prior to adding their sealer to the car, turned out great for $399 IMO. might want to check if your dealer offers something like this if you live in a high acid rain area.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pics...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
The cutting compound might not have enough cut, there are different levels... but assume you likely know that if you're using a pro compound with an orbital. You might be able to mask some of the spottiness with a good glaze and then wax.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like they got everything out of the sides, but the entire top of the car needs to be repainted. Lets see exactly how much money will come out of the warranty company...

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Wow, that sucks man. I guess you need to put that 3M protective film all over your car now to protect it from the acid rain. I hope they do a great job with color matching/blending.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well after telling them flat out that i did not trust the blending looking right, they agreed that it would be best to write out the estimate for sanding and spraying the entire car. It also helped that in their attempt to wet sand on my hood, they went straight through the clear and muffed the bare paint. Quote is for $2800.00 The warranty co. sounded like they'd cover it if they had a complete official quote so i should know for sure in the next couple days. I'll let you guys know. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
a month later and they've sent an adjuster out to inspect the car. I hopefully should hear something in the next couple days. This is seriously like pulling teeth, but i guess thats to be expected out of a paint warranty company. I also noticed 2 tiny rust bubbles on my roof today so i guess i have a backup plan if they decide not to cover this...

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
This is how warranty and insurance companies work. They intentionally make everything a pain-in-the-ass in hopes that most people will just give up and live with the damage. They wouldn't do it if they didn't know it worked.

HAMMER THEM. Be the squeakiest wheel they've ever seen. That's how you have to act to get things done anymore. It's ashame, but it's true.

Sorry about your paint. That's some nasty rain. I guess my only suggestion would be to apply a fresh coat of synthetic wax on your car every time you get a chance, if for nothing but to save yourself from having this nightmare again.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, while i can't say i'm suprized, they denied my claim. I'm nowhere nere through with this. The idiot adjuster took pictures of my car in the rain, where you really couldn't see the damage. I even asked him to come back on a clear day when i could clean the car to see the damage and he said he couldn't. He assured me he got good pictures of the acid rain damage and would report it as such. Then i get this... It doesn't even make sense!

We are in receipt of the inspection report from Property Damage Appraisers regarding the paint damage on your vehicle.

Upon reviewing this information we have determined that the paint damage is not due to any warranty covered damage. Based on the terms of your warranty, the coverage’s include fading, chalking, loss of gloss, acid rain, tree sap and bird droppings.

Unfortunately, any underlying problem with the paint itself that may have contributed to the problem cannot be prevented or corrected by the application of our product, so therefore we must deny your claim.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation in this matter.

Like i would have bought the vehicle with that kind of paint damage? Or the dealer would have warrantied a car that had that damage? Ugh, well i'm calling back on Monday and will drive the 45 minutes to this woman's office if needed.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Do this:
File with the (1-3 are free and fairly effective)..
Step 1 BBB.. that's actually pretty effective.
Step 2 file with the states attorney general
Step 3 file with the FTC.
Step 4 is small claims.. which is even more effective, because bullshitting doesnt work well (I know [in my favor lol]) and it costs them too much (losses look bad and can wreck reputation. The cost of going to court will probably will turn out to be close to just covering the warranty..
this is assuming of course they dont have a clause that says something like "all lawsuit filed must be in some city of Kansas")

"Unfortunately, any underlying problem with the paint itself that may have contributed to the problem cannot be prevented or corrected by the application of our product, so therefore we must deny your claim."
Turn it around on them, they cant deny the claim for the same reason and if that's the standard of their warranty then there is no warranty period because they can deny all claims (fraud).

You could check to see if they have to have training (armorcoat requires it).. in which case I would just argue that they certified it as acceptable when they applied the coat.

Alternatively you can get the money back from the dealer for selling you a faulty product.

Good luck!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the advice, I'm definately going to follow your steps. I'm definately not going to be the one forking over the $2800 for the new paint job!

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,550 Posts
Yeah, that's bullshit.

How can they tell the type of damage to the paint when the paint is wet? :huh: :slap:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts