Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in a department store parking lot yesterday on a warm sunny Sunday afternoon. I was trying to exit the lot, but the traffic pattern was poorly designed in this lot and there was lots of traffic built up at exit to the street no one wanted to let me out of the aisle I was in (jerks!)

So I saw a slight opening and accelerated rapidly, while also making a 45 degree turn. The front wheels just began peeling out as I took off. It sounded pretty loud. I didn't even notice if the Traction Control light even turned on, but I got outta there quickly because I felt pretty obnoxious.

I thought ATC was supposed to prevent peeling out?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Reading Topic: Accidentally Burned Some Rubber Yesterday

It may have been due to the fact that your wheels were angled. Your screeching may have come from the resistance of lateral motion, not foward. Traction control won't help you there.

Just a hypothesis, for whatever it may be worth.

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts

I'm gonna agree with AJ on this. AS far as I know TCS will help you when moving forward and you cannot stop (such as on ice and well-packed snow). But if you are moving laterally (side-to-side) then TCS cannot help you. Just from what I have understood.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

TCS has working pretty well for me in rainy conditions. I've turned it off, and they tires just spin while the front end shifts to the side of the road.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Confusion Reigns:

From Mazda6 Ouick Tips book.

Traction Control System*
Automatically applies and releases
brakes to prevent excessive wheel
spin at all speeds, especially when
accelerating on slippery surfaces

From Mazda6 Owners Manual

The Traction Control System (TCS)
enhances traction and safety by regulating
engine torque. When the TCS detects
driving wheel slippage, it lowers engine
torque to prevent loss of traction.
------------------------------------------------

TCS and Unsafe Driving:
The traction control system (TCS)
cannot compensate for unsafe and
reckless driving, excessive speed,
tailgating (following another vehicle
too closely); and hydroplaning
(reduced tire friction and road
contact because of water on the road
surface). You can still have an
accident. So don’t rely on the traction
control system as a substitute for safe
driving.

The front wheels just began peeling out as I took off.[/b]
You Unsafe Driver, you :p

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

It does use the brakes? I was under the impression that it regulated throttle like the Contours. However, now that you mention it, I never noticed the throttle lessen when the TCS system engaged.

Well, that's much better!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Accidentally Burned Some Rubber Yesterday'

Originally posted by GreenNuggs

It does use the brakes?  I was under the impression that it regulated throttle like the Contours.[/b]
That was my point. Two sources, two different (my reading) explainations. Which is it? Or is it Both?

·
Registered
142 Posts

I never noticed the brakes being applied when my tcs came on, usually the TCS just lowers the throttle to regain traction.

and my TCS comes on all the time when i accelerate fast and turn at the same time, especially when I pull out of my development

·
Registered
36 Posts

Don’t mix up TCS ( traction control ) and DSC Dynamic stability control ).
Both systems are available in Europe’s M6.

While TCS only can affect the front wheels, DSC also is able to affect the back wheels
TCS normally reduces the Engine force only and DSC can do both – reduce engine force and ( or ) put brakes on . PS - DSC includes TCS

To still have some fun during your ride, Mazda allows more freedom to this safety-features than other companies. A harsh driving will make the wheels spin for a while until the TCS (DSC) takes control – thank good. Under bad circumstances like snow or rain and comfort rides the system will work more efficient.

See DSC video here. http://www.mazda6.de/de/upclose/gallery/vi...title=DSC+Video

For sure there is a English page somewhere.

Hope that helps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts