Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read many, many, many posts regarding tire and wheel selection. My brain hurts. I'd be interested in some opinions on a situation. I have opted to replace my stock, 16 steel wheels with an undetermined 17 inch wheel. Though I haven't picked a rim, I have selected my tires. Selection was based upon reviews of the Kumho Ecsta SPT (and many other great tires), and the specifications provided by Michelin for the Pilot MXM4.

Stock 17" Michelin (U.S.) 215/50 R17 XL 93V, 25.5" dia., 8.7 xs on a 7.0", 6 - 7.5" rim fitment, 24.8 lbs.

Kumho 225/45 R17 XL 94Y, 7.0-8.5, 25" dia., 8.9 xs on a 7.5", 7 - 8.5" rim fitment, 23.7 lbs.

Thanks to the posts, I know what all that means and IMO the Kumhos are a fairly conservative replacement for the stock rubber found on OE 17's. The Kumhos will be no more than .2 inches wider, result in less than 3% odometer discrepancy at 70 mph, and will save me about 1 pound in rotational mass.

I would like to buy the ALT AT-296 Blades from a reputable sponsor. However, the offset value for the 17 x 7.0 rims is 40 - 42. We can't seem to locate an exact value. This means my tires will move almost a full inch away from the suspension. I'm worried about handling with that much of a move. Please give me some feedback on the offset. Should I select a different rim? Thanks.

P.S. ToyoGuy, your input would really be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
40-42 offset is too low, you'll need to roll your fenders.

FYI, I have 225/45R17 on 17X7 with +50 offset and no rubbing, even with full passenger on the back. However, the back tire is really close to the edge.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
40-42 offset is too low, you'll need to roll your fenders.

FYI, I have 225/45R17 on 17X7 with +50 offset and no rubbing, even with full passenger on the back. However, the back tire is really close to the edge.
[/b]

Umm, thanks. If anyone could actually tell me about handling, I would appreciate it. I'd like to stay away from the "rub / no rub" topic. I'm more interested in cornering, tire wear, and handling problems associated with offset reduction.

Incidentally, this thread would seem to contradict the fender rolling statement.
http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?s=&s...ndpost&p=270937

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Umm, thanks. If anyone could actually tell me about handling, I would appreciate it. I'd like to stay away from the "rub / no rub" topic. I'm more interested in cornering, tire wear, and handling problems associated with offset reduction.
[/b]
As with any change you make to your vehicle, there are trade offs. Increasing your track width generally results in better handling (ie sharper turn in, better transitional response, all things equal of course). The down side is the potential for increased wheel bearing wear. As you reduce the offset, you are changing the point of weight distribution on the wheel bearings and going to an offset that is too low puts additional stress on the wheel bearings, thus increasing wear. The big question is "how low is too low?"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
Tire Guy
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing