Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out and about running errands in my 2005 2.3L with manual climate controls here in North DFW, and was running the AC with the vent closed with no problems. Stopped at Target and came back out 20 or so minutes later, and when we started to drive, I noticed a smell that I know well - the outside ventilation was open. I didn't remember opening it, but thought nothing of it, so I pushed the button to close it and nothing happened. No beep, the LED stayed on the open vent/green side and there's no display on the dash (only displays when recirc is on). I pushed the AC button, and it beeped, the LED turned off and the dash indicator went away, but the air was still ice cold. At a red light, I turned the AC "on" and "off" to see if the RPMs moved, and they didn't. I tried turning the direction dial all the way to defog/defrost and back to see if it somehow thought it was in defog, but to no avail. :irate:

So, the ventilation is stuck open with an unresponsive button, and the AC won't turn off even though the button beeps, turns off the LED and the dash indicated turns off. I checked the AC fuse in the driver's kick panel, and it was fine, not sure what else to check. Anyone have any ideas? The only other problem I've ever had with the car was a fuel pressure sensor a few months after I got it in 2005. It has 33704 miles on it.

I did a search, but I ended up with mostly threads about people venting or vent pods.

Thanks!

Greg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one has any insight into my problem? Would disconnecting the battery to reset the computer work? Two days later and the situation is the same. At least my AC still works, I guess.

·
Registered
75 Posts
As far as I know even if you leave the setting at the lowest for the AC it will always disperse SOME AC out. The only way not to have this is move it over to defrost (that's what I do anyway). Also for the other problem, by default when you turn the car off and back on again the ventilation is defaulted to pull in outside air even if you changed it to recirculate the cabin air before turning the car off.

It is kind of strange there appears to be no real OFF for the AC.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as I know even if you leave the setting at the lowest for the AC it will always disperse SOME AC out. The only way not to have this is move it over to defrost (that's what I do anyway). Also for the other problem, by default when you turn the car off and back on again the ventilation is defaulted to pull in outside air even if you changed it to recirculate the cabin air before turning the car off.

It is kind of strange there appears to be no real OFF for the AC.[/b]
I was able to turn the AC off before Saturday afternoon. When accelerating or when I didn't need the extra cooling, I'd press the AC button to turn it off, and it would turn off immediately.
The auto-outside air when you turn off and turn on the car is a Auto Climate Control thing (happens in my wife's '04 6s with climate control), my 6i has manual AC controls. Previous to Saturday afternoon, the ventilation stayed on whatever it was set to when I shut off the car.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You mean when you press the AC button the green light doesn't go off? That only changes it from AC to heat anyway (but it will still be "cool" air if you still have the temp knob all the way in the blue) - there is always some form of air moving out of the vents even with that button off. I must be confused by what you are saying.

I do not have auto climate controls, I have MANUAL climate controls and it still does the auto-outside air. I guess I'm confused by what you're saying (and probably others as well) because this is all normal behavior.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You mean when you press the AC button the green light doesn't go off? That only changes it from AC to heat anyway (but it will still be "cool" air if you still have the temp knob all the way in the blue) - there is always some form of air moving out of the vents even with that button off. I must be confused by what you are saying.

I do not have auto climate controls, I have MANUAL climate controls and it still does the auto-outside air. I guess I'm confused by what you're saying (and probably others as well) because this is all normal behavior.[/b]
I'll try and explain it as best I can, and I'll break up the problem to the two parts. I hope this helps to make it easier to understand! :D

AC problem:
For the past 3 years before Saturday, whenever I pushed the AC button in my car, I could feel the AC turn off, and confirm it turned off on the tachometer. The response to the AC button being pressed while in the 1-4 fan settings was immediate: I pushed the AC button to turn off the AC, the compressor turned off. I pushed the AC button to turn the AC back on, the compressor turned on. I understand that the air continues to blow cold for a while, this is why I was turning my AC on and off in the first place, but now the AC blows constantly and the compressor is always engaged regardless of what my AC button LED and center console display indicates. The AC button LED turns on and off, it beeps, and the center console "A/C" label turns on and off, but the compressor is always engaged. That is the problem: the compressor stays turned on if the fans are on. I've left the AC "turned off" (LED light off, center console label not displayed) for an extended period, and the compressor does not turn off.

Ventilation problem:
My car only automatically switches to outside ventilation when I turn my dial to the floor/defrost and defrost mode (per normal operation). The ventilation is always on the last selection that was in use: if it was on recirculation when I turned the car off, it is still on recirculation when I turn the car on and vice versa. It does not automatically switch to outside ventilation when I start the car (unlike my wife's '04 6s with climate control, which behaves as you described).
The problem is that my ventilation is now stuck in the open ventilation position. I am unable to change it to recirculation. The ventilation button doesn't work - no beep noise, and the green LED on the open ventilation side stays lit. There is no sound of the vents moving/closing in the dash. It is like the vent direction is set to floor/defrost or defrost in that I cannot close the circulation to be recirc, but the air comes out of the vents selected on the dial (dash, floor, defrost and all of the mixed settings in between).

If anyone needs more clarification or information, please ask. The two Mazda dealerships closest to me aren't very close at all and don't provide rentals, and my wife is in grad school summer classes for the next two weeks so we can't share a car. I was hoping it was a fuse or something I could check and not have to take it into a dealership.

Thanks for asking for clarification, TEQ!

Greg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Checked the workshop manual, electrical schematics, etc... no simple fix here. Gotta go to the dealer.[/b]
Thanks for checking the manuals for me. I guess the wife and I will have to work out a carpool for a couple days next week.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for checking the manuals for me. I guess the wife and I will have to work out a carpool for a couple days next week.[/b]
Update for those interested: Took it in this morning to Classic Mazda in Denton at 8am, 9:30 they're finished and tell me the AC control unit is dead and they need to order the part tomorrow since today is a holiday. At least they were open! Hopefully I'll have my AC back to normal this weekend. Knowing that the AC control unit went bad, I'm glad the compressor got stuck in the on position!
The AC control unit is apparently all of the electronics behind the buttons, as well as the buttons themselves? So glad it's under warranty! :D
Also mentioned my brake pedal making noise when depressed and they're going to replace the brake master cylinder to eliminate the noise. Seems a bit extreme, but that's what they said needed to be done.
Ideally, it would have been great to get it fixed in one trip (~20mi each way to Classic), but I can't expect them to have electronic components like that in stock, and they're open on Saturdays, so at least I don't have to take time off of work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was having the issue of the AC staying on all the time, the compressor always on, I and a friend of mine started checking it out, we started at the wiring from the compressor, the connector, the rely. the fuse, the fuse box, the fuse box connectors, the PCM, and everything checks out good, except the AC control unit.
This is a manual control, it turns out that the whole face of the radio, AC control, is an electronic card that controls everything, somebody removed it before and if you don't know about the 10 mm screw in the back you would try to force the face out and therefore bending the face of the unit unknowingly bending the electronics, causing damage. The radio has 4 screws that hold it against the face, one of those screws is exactly behind the on/off ac, and as you screw it back in place it causes the button to stay in the on position, as you release the screw back and check that the button actually works then you put everything together.
This all happened because somebody put some aftermarket audio system and need it to hack into the radio speakers. It took me 6 hours and a lot of disassembly and testing to finally figure out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts