Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car just went out of warranty. had 13 miles left on it when the transfer case blew. luckily they fixed it but when it rains it pours. less than 2 weeks later I hear rattling from the car. I opened the hood and found this. If you see the bottom pulley you can see the plate just dangling. I can move it back and forth. It doesn't turn when the engine is on and I think this is the AC compressor. I turned on AC and it still didn't turn. So do I need a new AC compressor? Has anyone had this happen to their car?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
That indeed appears to be the case. Yes that is your A/C compressor and the clutch plate appears to be a disaster waiting to happen. It's hard to tell from just the picture but if that gets loose and gets pulled inbetween a belt and pulley, there are going to be lots of problems. As far as I know, you can replace strictly the clutch if the compressor is fine otherwise. I haven't tried it before though.

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
I've seen that picture before-
Well, OK, no, not that exact pic, but the same ac clutch coming loose, and a virtually identical pic.

I'll poke around & see if I can find it again, hopefully that person will see your post & chime in...

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts