Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So 2-3 days ago I noticed that when I shut my engine off and take the key out of the ignition, the heat/ac blower motor still blows out through the vents. It doesnt cut out like it used to. It will continue blowing until I open the door, which it then stops. Then this morning I went out to my car and the battery was completely dead, so long story long, I HAVE A PROBLEM!

It seems as if some sort of signal isnt being sent to the blower motor and potentially something(s) else when the key is taken out. The radio shuts off like normal, but not the fan if the knob is left on fan speeds 1-4.

So far I tried replacing the Blower relay in the kick panel and also the entire head unit (thinking there could be a problem with the pcb not signaling it to be off, like the opposite of an AC problem I had a year ago) but to no avail, neither solved it.

Has anyone has this issue? Ive searched and seen issues with the outside/engine bay fans not turning off and having to replace a fan control module, but this is different because its the cabin blower fan. I called my dealer and he said there was no sort of TSB on it, and I called another dealer and he said my car with he 4cyl doesnt even have that fan control module so I know its a different problem. I need your guys help, Im not quite sure where to go now. I dont know where the signal comes from to shut off the blower motor when the key is taken out. Its really weird that opening the door trips it, its like theres some sort of electrical/ground short and/or feedback messing with it.

Any suggestions are appreciated guys!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump for this problem still happening..

went away for a few days and just came back this afternoon...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any update on your problem with the blower motor staying on after you turn off the ignition?

I just started seeing the same sort of problem on my 2008 Mazda 6. When I turn off the ignition, the blower fan keeps running, and the recirculate/fresh air light stays on.

However, mine seems to turn itself off after 25 seconds.

After it turns itself off, I can get it to happen again by either closing the door, or hitting the car with my fist (something about the quick jolt?). This all WITHOUT even having the keys in the ignition.

I tried removing the blower motor relay, and while the blower motor doesn't come on, closing the door or hitting the car still causes the recirculate/fresh air light to come on (so the problem doesn't seem to be related to the blower motor relay)

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow, yours seems a lil more complex than mine was, although i didnt try all that. Pretty sure mine lasted more than 25secs, i think i tried sitting in the car for few min and it never shut off.

I really never got a solid fix, and Ive since sold the car and got a WRX..sorry 6club :'(

I DID change the blower motor resistor tho... I honestly didnt think that was the problem since usually there are other side effects of a bad resistor but I was hoping maybe if it was bad and back-feeding to the blower motor even when it shouldnt have been, that could have been the problem...but was just a guess. The problem had stopped before I changed the resistor, and then I sold the car to a friend that lives less 4 blocks away from me so im sure ill hear it if the problem comes back lol.

The resistor was like $25 and pretty easy to change, its right behind the glovebox. Maybe you can give it a try. Idk if my theory of it back-feeding is even legit or not but it hasnt come back in 2 months so it either fixed it or its coincidence.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just re-read your problem with the air recirc button staying on.. Hmm, thats odd. Seems like something is continuing to get power when it shouldnt be, which means something failed.. Ive heard of relays semi-failing, meaning they dont fail as to stop completely but they fail to turn off and could potentially cause an electrical circuit issue...

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, but the link I gave you had steps to take to evaluate which component may be bad in the blower motor system. Did you check that out?
Is there an interior fan control module? cause between scouring the internet and also calling a dealer I was told there is no fan control module on my car.
There is a FCM on v6 models but thats for the engine bay radiator fans, not the inside.

The closest to my problem I found was a cx9 that had a similar problem and it was the rear fan relay, but relay didnt help me.

idk, i would care more if i still had the car lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think you are on the right track, romajr86. It's more than just the blower motor. I have a little subwoofer in the trunk, and noticed that it's getting power for the same time the blower motor is.

Another thing that's different now.. my subwoofer is powered when they key is in the ACC position. Never used to. I used to have to turn it all the way to ON before the sub would fire up. Not sure if it's related or not.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
3 Participants
rhp71
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing