Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

For the past few months I have had the problem where, doesn't matter if my air is on or not, when I turn the knob to change airflow directions, i.e. head->head/feet->feet etc,it won't change which vents the air comes out of. Could this be a bad fan control module or something behind the dash?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
25 Posts
a bit of advice on using forums in general....don't post the same question in multiple places on the same forum....it makes mods mad.

·
Registered
25 Posts
generally the best thing to do is comment on the thread asking a mod to move it. it lets them know a few things: 1. you noticed you put it in the wrong spot and want to fix it. 2. you respect them enough to not spam post. 3. you respect them enough to ask them instead of demand them...at least that's how it was in the previous forums I was on.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
The most common symptom for your problem is the blender. The blender is a baffle that redirects air flow based on your zone settings.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Here's a test to manually check and make sure the blender is working properly:

1) Turn FAN SWITCH to OFF
2) Turn AIRFEED dial to VENT
3) Switch ignition to ON (do not start)
4) Move FAN SWITCH to 4th position
5) Turn AIRFEED dial to DEFROST
6) Blender should move from vents to defroster. If it does not, there may be blockage

If the blender is working, then there is a Airflow Mode Actuator that needs to be replaced. To replace:

1) Remove glove box
2) Towards the center console you will see an electrical connection for the Airflow Mode Actuator. Disconnect the terminal from the actuator then dismount the actuator.
3) Check for any corrosion or burn marks on the terminal connection and the actuator connection. If you see any, further electrical diagnostics should be performed.
4) If terminals are relatively clean, replace the actuator. It may be a dealer part, as a quick search online yielded no part results. I also tried a couple of auto part stores but no results there either.

Also managed to find this thread. You can review it as well for voltage checks on the terminals.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So i did the first set you told me to do and it didn't work... right away. I tried it at work in the parking lot 3 times and the flow direction never changed but when I got back into my car later that evening the flow had changed because I left it on defrost.

I'm still going to check the actuator.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

6) Blender should move from vents to defroster. If it does not, there may be blockage

If the blender is working, then there is a Airflow Mode Actuator that needs to be replaced. To replace:

1) Remove glove box
2) Towards the center console you will see an electrical connection for the Airflow Mode Actuator. Disconnect the terminal from the actuator then dismount the actuator.
3) Check for any corrosion or burn marks on the terminal connection and the actuator connection. If you see any, further electrical diagnostics should be performed.
4) If terminals are relatively clean, replace the actuator. It may be a dealer part, as a quick search online yielded no part results. I also tried a couple of auto part stores but no results there either.

Also managed to find this thread. You can review it as well for voltage checks on the terminals.
So it worked for the couple days after your post but no longer does. Where would the blockage be that you mentioned?

·
Registered
2,883 Posts

If the blender is working, then there is a Airflow Mode Actuator that needs to be replaced. To replace: ........
No disrespect intended Michael, but I see it differently.

I bought FSM's when I bought my car in 2004. The above procedure is for testing the Airflow Mode Actuator , not the blender baffle. And it's for cars with Auto AC, not for Manual AC. If the actuator tests OK, you don't need to replace it.

So to OP, do you have manual or auto AC?

I have auto AC, and I did have to remove it to get to another part that failed. I noticed that with the glovebox off, you can see the crank arm between this actuator and the main center housing where the blender is. It's possible the slotted crank arm was dislogged from the pin for some reason ( I noticed it was difficult to get it aligned as it went back together). To test the connection, just turn the ign on, turn up the blower speed, and cycle through the modes while watching the visible part of the arm. If it's moving, but no change in flow path, then there is a mechanical disconnect at the arm.

Can't say more until you say if it's auto or manual.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone still following this post?
Anyone find a place to purchase the airflow mode actuator, besides the dealer?
TIA

1 - 14 of 14 Posts