Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I looking for some help- I am a mechanical rookie with little experience getting greasy.

My AC has gone from ice cold to blowing hot air which is not ideal in an Australian summer... bloody infuriating as it used to second as my beer chiller.

I checked the belts and fuse, relay and ensured the system was pressured up without leaks. Thereafter, I dropped it off to the mechanics fearing the compressor or something else complex. The mechanic said the compressor clutch has gone and advised an entirely new compressor is needed (cost approx. $1300 for part and fit).

My Questions are:

1. Has anyone reconditioned a A/C compressor before? If so, is it worth doing?
2. is it worth buying a second hand compressor or do these compressors commonly fail and therefore I am better off biting the bullet and putting in a new one?

Oiley Seabass.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
If I may suggest, how about replacing only the clutch? The way I understand it, the broken part is the clutch only. Unless because of this, you now have a damaged shaft compressor.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I've posted come information and diagrams about this for the Gen I but it also applies to your 6.
Most likely the magnet that pulls the clutch is what went bad. You can buy these and even replace it without fully removing the compressor so you do not have to recharge the system.

Reactions: DrFeelGood

·
Rally Racer
2,724 Posts
My Questions are:

1. Has anyone reconditioned a A/C compressor before? If so, is it worth doing?
2. is it worth buying a second hand compressor or do these compressors commonly fail and therefore I am better off biting the bullet and putting in a new one?

Oiley Seabass.
I have replaced several clutches (and bearings) over the years successfully. Generally I try to only replace the part that is defective and for most things I go for original equipment.

Replace the clutch and don't buy a spare.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts