Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 6i doens't come with ABS- and in order to get ABS you have to get a premium package as well. Is it worth all that extra money just for ABS? Really- how important in ABS brakes in an area with little rain and no snow? (I live in LA, Ca.)

·
Registered
878 Posts
Replying to Topic 'ABS?'

Well look at it this way.....what if the car in front of you panic stops and he has abs. Would you be able to stop before hitting him ? I would think I'd have a better chance with abs too. I'm sure there are better reasons to have abs, just can't think right now though. Not enough coffee yet :D

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Reading Topic: ABS?

I think ABS is great, bailed me out more than once in rain/ice/snow and even gravel. I guess I'd be less likely to pay for it it I lived in LA but I dont even consider a vehicle w/o it here in MI. and the antilocks in the 6 work extremely well

·
Registered
231 Posts
Replying to Topic 'ABS?'

Originally posted by Gruss

I think ABS is great, bailed me out more than once in rain/ice/snow and even gravel.  I guess I'd be less likely to pay for it it I lived in LA but I dont even consider a vehicle w/o it here in MI.  and the antilocks in the 6 work extremely well[/b]
they certainly do. i've never had abs before - i assume that they WILL lock up if pushed hard enough? mine have on 2 occasions (when i've had to practically stand on the pedal) . i'm hoping/assuming this is normal... :)

·
Registered
26 Posts

Well, since your in LA where it doesn't snow and rains seldomly, I'd skip on the ABS. Since your in such nice weather most of the time, ABS will just increase ur braking distance during panic stops. I live in Canada and even in the winter, I rarely brake hard enough to activate ABS.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Replying to Topic 'ABS?'

Originally posted by MoçasJubbie

Well, since your in LA where it doesn't snow and rains seldomly, I'd skip on the ABS. Since your in such nice weather most of the time, ABS will just increase ur braking distance during panic stops.  I live in Canada and even in the winter, I rarely brake hard enough to activate ABS.[/b]

i think you misunderstood my post (if you were replying to me, that is): i already have a.b.s. on my 6s. the brakes have locked-up on me twice (during panic stops). my question was if this was a normal occurence even with a.b.s.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Replying to Topic 'ABS?'

Originally posted by soulbelly

Originally posted by MoçasJubbie

Well, since your in LA where it doesn't snow and rains seldomly, I'd skip on the ABS. Since your in such nice weather most of the time, ABS will just increase ur braking distance during panic stops.  I live in Canada and even in the winter, I rarely brake hard enough to activate ABS.[/b]

i think you misunderstood my post (if you were replying to me, that is): i already have a.b.s. on my 6s. the brakes have locked-up on me twice (during panic stops). my question was if this was a normal occurence even with a.b.s.[/b][/quote]

Well they might chirp if you stand on them but they shouldn't lock up. You might need a visit to the dealer if they did fully lock-up.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Sorry soulbelly my comment was for Hackcomic.com. But yes I agree with meat6, somethings wrong with ur ABS system. I've never had that sort of a problem with both my ABS equipped cars.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

I think it just outragesly stupid of Mazda America not to include ABS as STANDARD!!! In europe, ABS was a add-on for like... 5-6 years ago. Now I belive most of the cars have ABS.

ABS should not lock... If you have the emergency brake help system we have (BAS? I think it's called Brake Assistance System but im not usre). When you slam the brakes relly hard (panic) the brakes themself will apply full force. At high speeds they might lock upp in the start... maybe... ;)

·
Registered
837 Posts

Yes we have BAS too but it is known here as EBD = Electronic Brake Distribution. It basically detects the current need of braking and apply it accordingly. I.E. If you slam on the brakes, it then senses emergency and applies full brake force on all wheels.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Replying to Topic 'ABS?'

i was in the dealership and i saw a button to the left of the steering wheel. i asked the salesman what it was and he said it was the ABS off switch. if you want to make turns like in the commersials you hit that switch. :D

·
Registered
837 Posts

It is not ABS off switch but TCS switch. TCS = Traction Control System. A bit different in what its purpose but ultimately the physical operation is similar which utilizes the brakes to control slippage.

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
Replying to Topic 'ABS?'

Originally posted by hieppo

Yes we have BAS too but it is known here as EBD = Electronic Brake Distribution.  It basically detects the current need of braking and apply it accordingly.  I.E. If you slam on the brakes, it then senses emergency and applies full brake force on all wheels.[/b]
EBD = ABS.. Its the same thing really, but it's just not the same as saying the ECU recognizes EMERGENCY, it will basically prevent the wheels from locking up and making you slide. It basically pumps the brakes (something you had to do in old cars) very very fast to avoid lockup.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Replying to Topic 'ABS?'

Originally posted by hieppo

It is not ABS off switch but TCS switch.  TCS = Traction Control System.  A bit different in what its purpose but ultimately the physical operation is similar which utilizes the brakes to control slippage.[/b]

The 6 only uses the ABS wheel sensors to detect slippage for the TCS. The TCS cuts engine power to stop wheel spin.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Replying to Topic 'ABS?'

I'm not an auto expert (in the sense that I don't make my living in the world of automotive technology); but I am an auto enthusiast with some familiarity with the various braking technologies being discussed here. I'd like to clear up some of the confusion.

ABS, EBD, and BAS are all different technologies. It's very likely that a car which features all of these systems has them integrated by one braking computer, but they still are distinctly separate.

As all of you know, ABS stops the brakes from locking up. This is accomplished by pulsing the brake fluid pressure. Some ABS systems do not engage below 5 MPH; for other systems it may be 10 MPH. (This number has been coming down over the years.) If the chap who reported his brakes locking up was going this slowly, then that would provide an explanation of the occurrence. But if the lockup occurred at higher speeds, and there was sustained locking (for more than 1 second); then there may be an ABS issue on your car that should be investigated.

EBD is Electronic Brake Force Distribution. This system balances the braking pressure between the front and rear of the car. Such pressure biasing seeks to achieve the best brake balance under all conditions. A car's optimum brake balance varies constantly because of changing passenger or cargo loads, where those loads are located in the car, the inclination (or declination) of the road surface, and the amount of brake force being applied at that particular moment (which affects the car's center of gravity).

Some cars have a mechanical brake force distribution system. It's even more common on pickup trucks, which see a wide range of cargo loads. Nowadays, EBD is widely replacing the mechanical systems.

BAS is a Brake Assist System that's intended to compensate for human responses. Studies have found that drivers don't brake strong enough, soon enough in panic situations. By the time the driver realizes that more brake pressure is needed, the situation has already become unavoidable, and an accident results. BAS sensors watch how quickly the driver attacks the brake pedal, and with how much pressure. If the brake pedal is applied very abrupt, then the system knows that a panic situation is likely in progress, and applies increased braking pressure (beyond what the driver is applying) to whatever degree it's programmed to do so.

The Mazda 6i offers ABS as an option, and the 6s has it standard -- both incorporate EBD. Mazda doesn't offer BAS on the 6 (and I don't think they offer it on any of their vehicles currently).

Some other, related technologies:

ESR, TCS, ASR, ASC -- All are acronyms for various car manufacturers' traction control systems. Some of these systems have the ability to selectively apply braking (through use of the ABS system) to help control wheelspin. All use methods of reducing engine power output (typically electronic override of the engine throttle, and retardation of ignition timing). Mazda offers traction control on the 6s, and they call it TCS. I don't know if it uses the ABS system or not.

ESC, ESP, DSC -- Cornering stability systems that utilize selective braking (again, through the ABS system) to improve vehicle stability during aggressive driving, or emergency situations. Such systems have sensors above and beyond those normally found in the systems above, to monitor the steering wheel's position, its direction and rate of rotation, as well as ones used for determining the movement of the car's body (such as a yaw sensor). Mazda doesn't offer this on the 6 (or any of their cars, I believe).

HDC, DAC -- Descent control systems intended for off-road conditions, that are usually only on expensive SUVs (like the BMW X5). Such systems use ABS to selectively apply braking pressure to slow the vehicle on downward slopes,

Now if I could only afford a vehicle that has all these goodies! :cool:

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Replying to Topic 'ABS?'

Just to offer an opinion on the original question: "Should I get ABS if I live in CA?"

Personally, I consider ABS essential.

You may not think that it offers any benefit in the dry. It is true that ABS will not decrease stopping in dry conditions. But what's important is that it allows you to continue to have control of steering under extreme braking situations. When you lock up your brakes, you lose the ability to steer the car. ABS makes sure that you can both brake as hard as possible and steer to avoid the accident.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'ABS?'

Thanks for everyones help. It poured last night in LA- and it made me really glad that I did in fact pay extra for the ABS brakes even though I had to get the premium package. My car comes in today!

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

All Mazda6 cars sold in Sweden exept those with 1.8l engine have:
ABS with EBD
TCS
BAS
DSC

So BAS is very much available on Mazda cars.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'ABS?'

ABS will lockup. However, only if you are really standing on the brake pedal.
It will however release and react normally once the system senses the over done pedal pressure.
ABS works to maintain the greatest braking force which is just before lockup would occur. So, basically the brakes are "locking" just unlocking very fast as well, thus you feel (less in modern systems) the "pulse" of the ABS pumping. A malfunctioning sensor or over active sensor can cause one or more wheels to actually lockup and skid while the others are fine.

If your tires locked up for split second and then the system recovered and worked fine, then you must have applied too much pressure. If so, lighten up on the pedal next time.
Also, if you feel the pulsing of ABS do NOT, do NOT do NOT let go of the brake pedal and reapply the brakes. This is one of the worst things you can do with ABS. Stopping distance will be much longer as the system has to reset and resense what you are asking for.
Newer cars are going away from the pulsing sensation. Early systems did this all the time and strongly and some manufacturers said it was to let the driver know that ABS is activated.
During the transition to ABS that may have helped but most drivers still don't know what ABS does or how it's supposed to feel until they experience it at which point it may be too late

It's simply mind boggling how governmental "safety" laws can be so idiotic. Air bags are mandatory, meaning, we want to avoid injury during an accident. Yet, ABS is not mandatory which would help in avoiding that accident in the first place. Gotta love those insurance lobbies. :)

Tome

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Replying to Topic 'ABS?'

Originally posted by Blackbird

All Mazda6 cars sold in Sweden exept those with 1.8l engine have:
ABS with EBD
TCS
BAS  
DSC

So BAS is very much available on Mazda cars.[/b]

Forgive me for not being specific. I forgot that there may be worldwide participants in this forum. What I should have said is that BAS and DSC are not available on any Mazda cars in the USA.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts