Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
@RacingTiger03

Are you using 87 octane fuel? I notice a big drop with 93. I use Chevron fuel system cleaner every couple k to keep things clean...it does seem to help maintain restore mpgs with this engine.

Id check to make sure your brakes are not dragging.

·
Registered
190 Posts
This vehicle seems extremely sensitive to ambient temperature in regards to achieving good mpg's. I can never approach my summer full tank averages of mid to high 30s mpg after the temps drop below forty degrees.

I'll be lucky to get a tank average over 33mpg during the winter months with my 2014 Mazda6, and I never allow my cars to warm up. Start and go immediately, regardless of the temps.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Try two sequential bottles of Chevron fuel system cleaner. Only will cost you a couple bucks, won't hurt anything, and you might get some of your mpg's back.

·
Registered
190 Posts
pumping the same stuff I put in the "other" cars... BP/pilot/loves. The only difference is regular vs premium. Even then, shouldn't the fuel filter take care of anything that would potentially clog an injector this early in life?

Honestly performance is significantly better than it's been for quite some time. That same on-ramp I always have brought up isn't giving me any trouble at all (I can hit 85 by the end of it with a bit of ease now vs before.)

From my own experience, direct injected engines are much more sensitive to (bad) quality fuels vs. fuel injection. I notice my fuel economy drops in my Mazda more dramatically vs my other (fuel injected) vehicles.

If you had experience a big jump in performance/mpg from one bottle of chevron, you probably would still benefit from a 2nd bottle.

Remember Chevron techron additive is a concentrated detergent, the same detergent that's used in Chevron pump fuel (which is a top tier gas). Non top tier fuels also have detergents, but to a much lower government minimum standard.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The vehicle had 22,000 of the hardest miles you could ever put a vehicle through. Here in Canada, frost heaving destroys roads, cold snaps muddy the engines, sand and salt corrode and cause cancer. I had driven through snow deep enough for the front lip to form a snowplow... on a regular basis it seems. They dump enough sand and salt on the roads to make it a gravel texture. And everyone still crashes (for some reason).

The paint on the front of the vehicle looked like a shuttle going through re-entry. The paint on the rocker panels had worn down to bare metal. The various potholes (sometimes the road is the pothole) had deformed the tires slightly (and likely the 19" wheels). No wonder the bushings were shot. The body was flexing like a young Arnold Schwarzenegger and creaking like an old mattress at a brothel.

A good road here is one that doesn't smash your head off the side window on a regular basis. I exaggerate, but you get the idea.

That being said, I will say that this is the most fragile vehicle I've owned in a long time. When I first had it, I wouldn't have guessed it. Solid as an anvil, and a great ride to boot. The deterioration was quite shocking. The 2003 Nissan Maxima I had before this seemed to be twice as hardy, despite looking like it was made of tin (front control arm bushings and sway bar bushings through 3 hard years... nothing more).

I had a huge list of unresolved problems (axles, brake rotors, wind noise, engine startup noise, bushings, strut noises, clunks and bangs, trunk latch busted, throttle issues, power loss, horrible fuel mileage, seat heaters not working - the list goes on), partially due to the dealership... "car feels fine, nothing wrong" and due to the fact I live a ways away and had a hard time continually hassling them (better things to do).

An all time high of about 39mpg with ease to struggling to get 26 and no immediate recourse?

It was a relief to unload this one, sorry forum!!
Sorry to hear! How was the resell value? What did you replace her with? I'd love to replace my mazda, but I do not think it's worth anything near what I paid.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'll do a pro-active approach and run premium, indefinitely. Almost always, premium has a slight detergent advantage..over regular. With gas at its lowest in several years..I'll be running Top Tier 91RON Costco, with Chevron Techron Injector cleaner regimen every 2,500mi. With a lack of long term history of the Sky-G (no known engine tear down of cyl heads for reference, as of date), its cheap insurance. No harm, no foul. Every bit helps...

That's a myth that 93 octane fuel contains more detergents than regular 87. I have yet to see a single fuel company claim their premiums have any more, or less detergents vs. their regular. In fact they typically say the detergents are equal across the board. Octane ratings are exactly as advertised.

·
Registered
190 Posts
More detergent or not (which is why I still use a bottle of Chevron Techron every 2,500mi, since 1st OCI), this engine was designed primarily (13-14:1 compression ratio), with premium gas in mind anyways. Btw, page 3-23 of the 2014 M6 Manual does state an "87 or above" Octane Rating requirements. At $2.74/gal here for Costco 91 Top Tier (5X more detergent than EPA requirement)..it's only a 0.20 difference, over regular. What is an extra $3.28/full tank of 16.4gal..for a noticeable difference, with better driveability/pep of engine. It's well worth it. Affordability, no question. I'll obviously not argue, over $3.28..:wink2:

Can't argue the motor runs a little better on 93 octane, but it's definitely not worth the added cost to me.

You are fortunate premium's only 20 cents more per gallon in your area. Premium is easily 50 cents+ more per gallon in my location.

On top of the added fuel cost, my Mazda 6 gets a few less mpg's using premium. It's a lose lose situation for me to use premium.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Different strokes for different folks is all I gotta say. I bought my Mazda6 GT as economical transportation for my wife. It has zero modifications. Why bother using premium if it returns less MPG, and is ~20% more expensive per gallon?

Some say premium runs smoother...that's true, and I can sense it, but it's *marginal* at best. In my opinion you are splitting hairs. If I was so picky about a smooth engine, would not have even purchased this car in the first place. Cheap operational cost was a big reason I picked this car.

I doubt a the difference in regular 87 vs 93 octane even yields a tenth second less in the 1/4 mile, or a gain over 1mph in trap speed. I'd love for someone to prove me wrong.

93 octane does not include more detergents either over 87, so their is no argument about "treating" your car better. I've been fueling this Mazda 6 primarily with top tier fuels, and using a bottle of Chevron techron concentrate cleaner every couple k, and it works fine for maintaining our car's mpg's.

I would only use 93 octane in this Mazda if gas were free. I'd rather save my 6-7 dollars per fill up to buy myself a couple coffees

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.