Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since in Atlanta, they only do OBDII test, and maybe visual inspection for emission on a 96up car, I decide to have a test pipe made. Howver, anyone know how the stock cat heatshield bolt onto the stock cat? I am thinking about put the stock heatshield back onto the test pipe, so no one knows there is a test pipe in there instead of real cat. I was gonna replace the whole cat and catback... but from people's experience, there is no way to keep it quiet for this car...

·
Registered
851 Posts
we did it with a buddy's evo. if you can't unbolt it, just cut the heatshield and wrap it around it. that what we ended up doing on the evo

·
Registered
820 Posts
agree, worst case you can put a few tacks on the heat shield to connect it to the test pipe. PS, if you make a testpipe could you possibly make 2 and sell me one?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just got it done. there are 4 blots for heat shield that bolt into stock cat. The shop cut off the stock cat, weld a section of straight pipe, then cut off the mountings on the cat, reweld it back to the straight ppe. The end result is..... A perfect OEM looking test pipe. All the welding points and straight pipes are inside the heatshield, and will not be seen unless you unbolt the heatshield. It just looks.. pefect. I don't think dealer or emission inspector will be able to tell.

New comes to the performance and sound. The car pull a little harder, which is expected. You barely can hear the sound increase inside the car, but if you stay outside the car, it has this deep rumbles that sounds a lot better than the stock exhaust.

I paid 100$ for it, probably a little much, but because in GA if shops remove a cat, they can get fin for 25,000$ and some jail time. Most of the exhaust shop will never touch a cat. So I have to pay a little extra for them to do it. This is probably the cheapest and most effective performance mod ever if you plan to take the car back to dealer for service, or need to pass emission test, or you want to keep the stock exhaust sound level.

fgraziano, sorry I can't do it because the shop needs all your OEM cat pipe in order to make it.

Here are the pictures. :)

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts