Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Super Moderator
Welcome back!

Congrats on the purchase :)

Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Grand Touring
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since my departure I got another RX-8 which I have now done a full build on including turbocharging and track prep... I got the Mazda6 to retire the RX8 from being my daily driver. Looking to do just a couple light mods for Aesthetics on the Mazda 6

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is not, it is on its second engine. I personally rebult this motor with all new hard and soft seals, all new bearings, new rotor housings, one piece dowel rods from pineapple racing, increased oil pressure, etc etc the list of work on the block goes on. Tuned with mazdaedit and running E30 fuel on a slightly rich "safe" tune so i wont have any problems. I didnt simply throw the turbo on the 8 and cross my fingers, its a full and complete build and runs in Street Modified class auto-x (and fairly well at that)

Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
It is not, it is on its second engine. I personally rebult this motor with all new hard and soft seals, all new bearings, new rotor housings, one piece dowel rods from pineapple racing, increased oil pressure, etc etc the list of work on the block goes on. Tuned with mazdaedit and running E30 fuel on a slightly rich "safe" tune so i wont have any problems. I didnt simply throw the turbo on the 8 and cross my fingers, its a full and complete build and runs in Street Modified class auto-x (and fairly well at that)
Oh, SO jealous, we'll see what the future holds, but been thinking about getting an RX8 with dying engine, then swap it for a TSX motor with supercharger but swaps are hard and expensive. Didn't realize you could get that much power out of the rotary!
Your RX8 looks awesome!

(I just dropped a few grand putting a supercharger on my 6, 240tq/270whp, so it ain't happening anytime soon :) )

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh, and just so we are all on the same page... I'm a bit of a smart-ass myself. Once I am invested in a platform I am quite active (I mean just check out my Rx8club account, and most of my posts haven't counted d/t being in parts of the forum that don't count towards your post count over there.)
I'm already looking at what mods I want to purchase.... SO TEMPTING lol
I was also thinking about upgrading my mazdaedit software I have for my Rx8 to the "professional" or whatever so I can use the mazdaedit on both my Rx8 and Mazda 6... I wouldn't get crazy with the tune on the 6, but it would be interesting to see what I could do in the way of possibly a E85 tune with light premixing since E85 doesn't have great lubricative properties.

Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
Oh, and just so we are all on the same page... I'm a bit of a smart-ass myself. Once I am invested in a platform I am quite active (I mean just check out my Rx8club account, and most of my posts haven't counted d/t being in parts of the forum that don't count towards your post count over there.)
I'm already looking at what mods I want to purchase.... SO TEMPTING lol
I was also thinking about upgrading my mazdaedit software I have for my Rx8 to the "professional" or whatever so I can use the mazdaedit on both my Rx8 and Mazda 6... I wouldn't get crazy with the tune on the 6, but it would be interesting to see what I could do in the way of possibly a E85 tune with light premixing since E85 doesn't have great lubricative properties.
This, I've thought about that too, I have my supercharged 6 and my son has a 2012 Mazda 3 skyactiv, and I'm going back and forth if I want to get an RX8 or a Miata for my next car (a few years away, other responsibilities...). I was assuming that if I went the RX8 route I would get one cheap, with a blown motor to do an engine swap (K24 or LFX), but that's a TON of work, obviously :)

That is so cool that you rebuilt the motor yourself, that looks like a LOT of fun out on track :devilish:

The Skyactiv motor has a lot of headroom to get more power from higher octane fuel thanks to the compression ratio, but supposedly the tunes are more complicated than most motors, not sure. So my can coax a LOT of torque out of these motors depending on the fuel but it is flow limited in the high rpm, but you can probably get a little over 200whp ad more than that in torque

Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
Suspension and brakes first. Since Mazdas arent flex fuel, make sure you do the whole fuel system too. @WoodinvilleDan got some crazy results with 93 and octane booster too.
Oh hell ya! Crazy torque right!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This, I've thought about that too, I have my supercharged 6 and my son has a 2012 Mazda 3 skyactiv, and I'm going back and forth if I want to get an RX8 or a Miata for my next car (a few years away, other responsibilities...). I was assuming that if I went the RX8 route I would get one cheap, with a blown motor to do an engine swap (K24 or LFX), but that's a TON of work, obviously :)

That is so cool that you rebuilt the motor yourself, that looks like a LOT of fun out on track :devilish:

The Skyactiv motor has a lot of headroom to get more power from higher octane fuel thanks to the compression ratio, but supposedly the tunes are more complicated than most motors, not sure. So my can coax a LOT of torque out of these motors depending on the fuel but it is flow limited in the high rpm, but you can probably get a little over 200whp ad more than that in torque
Next weekend I have a AutoX event in Fresno, CA that I'm going to take the 8 to..... I have a windshield mounted dash cam with full speedo based on gps and all that jazz, and two gopro's (hero 5 black and session 4) that I plan to mount in different spots on the car.

You can see some of my build on my Instagram
http://www.instagram.com/ricky.se3p/

Complicated tunes?? Uhh rotary.... lol one bad tune or detonation event and bye bye engine, so yeah that's a thing. With Mazdaedit I'll be able to switch between the stock tune/fuel map and a E85 map. The headaches with the fuel maps come from how many maps there are the PCM can choose from and under what conditions it picks each map, but my tuner has taught me a few tricks to work around that kinda stuff if youre careful. I'd likely find a tuner who works with the Skyactiv engines and Mazdaedit should I decide to go that route. We will see.

The power I have in the Rx8 is plenty however so Im not looking very deep into power mods for the 6.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts