Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have been a proud owner of Titanium Gray 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 Sport for a bout a month. I just love driving this car, and haven't been able to put my keys down. I was just wondering if Mazdaspeed 6 and all other 6 engines still use timing belt that needs to be replaced or timing chain that has longer life. Does it differ between four cylinder and six cylinder models?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
there's a copy of the engine highlights from the service manual floating around in a post here. i'm pretty positive that the 2.3 uses a chain. so does the 3.0.

edit:
from FAQs mazdausa.com
"Does the vehicle come with a timing belt or timing chain?

All models come with a timing chain."

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm kind of suprised you have not noticed the timing chain, its very loud...
[/b]
I've been trying to search this issue myself without much luck. My 2 week old has an idle noise that comes on only when warm. I'm thinking it could be the serpentine belt. It sounds loudest by the fender wells and has a soft sound like ping pong balls rattling around like when they draw the lottery numbers ( I know, gotta love that description!). The second noise is like a metallic hissing sound. I can't tell if it's the timing chain or some sort of wind noise. I usually start to hear it around 40 mph. I'm doing all these head gyrations on the highway, if I move more towards the middle or close to the door the sound is less noticeable. It sounds the loudest right in the driving position! If I punch the accelerator the noise gets louder right away and fades when I let off. If this sounds like the timing chain, is it considered normal?? You'd think it would be some sort of tension issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts