Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When cruising the new MazdaUSA site, I saw this in description to the A/T's tranny:

"Torque converter with electronic lock-up"

Does anyone know if this is a normal feature? It seems to explain the more 'connected' feeling I get when clicking over to sport-shift mode.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Reading Topic: A/T's Tourque converter

With a 'Sport Shift' it is. The torque converter has to be 'locked' each shift that's made in Sport Shift for a split second.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Replying to Topic 'A/T's Tourque converter'

From How Torque Converters Work

"At higher speeds, the transmission catches up to the engine, eventually moving at almost the same speed. Ideally, though, the transmission would move at exactly the same speed as the engine, because this difference in speed wastes power. This is part of the reason why cars with automatic transmissions get worse gas mileage than cars with manual transmissions.

To counter this effect, some cars have a torque converter with a lockup clutch. When the two halves of the torque converter get up to speed, this clutch locks them together, eliminating the slippage and improving efficiency. "

·
Registered
37 Posts

The lockup converters are strictly to improve fuel mileage esp. in the overdrive gears. It also helps reduce the trans temps by forcing the converter not to slip.

A converter doesn't lock during shifts. You'll notice while driving in the highest gears that at some point while your cruising (using only a small amount of throttle) that the RPM's may drop by 500 or so. This is the moment that the converter locks. When you accelerate more the RPM's may jump up again, this happens when the converter unlocks. Of course if you accelerate even more the trans will downshift to the next lower gear.

·
Registered
117 Posts

I am curious about the lockup converter too. Does it engage only in automatic mode or in both?

I've recently received a little book with summary of all Mazda6 features and it mentioned the automatic lockup converter. Unfortunately, it doesn't describe how the feature works...

·
Registered
980 Posts

How Stuff Works is a great website if you've ever needed to know how stuff works. A great name as well I might add.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts