Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
3,980 Posts
Hello all, just recently picked up a 2010 Mazda6 with 227k on the odometer, and that is in km, since I am in Canada. I was wondering what is a good suspension renew procedure for it. It rides a bit "boaty" at times, though it is not critical. So I am just researching my options, as there are not too many unfortunately for the 2nd gen 6.
I've learned that Bilstein B8 is a great replacement shock/strut. But I am not sure about what spring to try? I know there was a racing beat springs set before, but they no longer have it. I think it was a very mild in drop, which would be perfect for me, as I do not want an aggresive drop to be able to still have decent road clearance.

Any suggestions on that part, and also is there indeed a rear sway bar that would fit or not? I could not find a concise ino on this. In any case, it is a nice resouce for the information and I am thankful to all the people who shared their knowledge here.
Hello. Have you searched the site? There is not a lot on the Mk2 but there is some here.
How To: 2nd Gen Lowering Spring Install
Outside of the coils above, and coil-overs, there is nothing else for that series car.
A lot depends on your budget but you may be able to find someone who will make custom sway bars.
Good luck, it looks like a nice sedan.

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
3,980 Posts
Thanks! I was also wondering if Racing Beat still make the springs, or ever did for the 2nd gen. I am pretty sure they do not produce them now. I found a video that has them installed though.
They were pretty mild, and I think they would work well with some Bilstein B6, providing a good controlled ride with a very mild drop.
Contact Racing Beat. They have been very helpful in the past for me. They even gave me the spring stats on their 1st gen wagon units (discontinued) so I could have some made.
They may also have limited units still available (but not listed on the page) for older models.
I like the RB stuff because it does not drop the car too low or make it too stiff. I think it is something like a 20% rate increase.
FYI, my RB (front) springs at +20% and King springs (rear) at +30% are under-dampened by my KYB GR2 units. While this is not a revelation by any means, I am noting it in case you were tempted at any point. I had the dampers before the springs and have been making due until I replace the gas holders.

If you do go lower don't forget to release torque on your suspension bushings at the new ride height and re-torque them so you don't destroy those, (provided they are still viable after 220K km's).

If they are bad I would start any suspension project there. Best to have everything working properly before asking it to do more.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts