Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Mazda 6 2.5L 4cyl 6MT
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, just recently picked up a 2010 Mazda6 with 227k on the odometer, and that is in km, since I am in Canada. I was wondering what is a good suspension renew procedure for it. It rides a bit "boaty" at times, though it is not critical. So I am just researching my options, as there are not too many unfortunately for the 2nd gen 6.
I've learned that Bilstein B8 is a great replacement shock/strut. But I am not sure about what spring to try? I know there was a racing beat springs set before, but they no longer have it. I think it was a very mild in drop, which would be perfect for me, as I do not want an aggresive drop to be able to still have decent road clearance.

Any suggestions on that part, and also is there indeed a rear sway bar that would fit or not? I could not find a concise ino on this. In any case, it is a nice resouce for the information and I am thankful to all the people who shared their knowledge here.
Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
4,006 Posts
Hello all, just recently picked up a 2010 Mazda6 with 227k on the odometer, and that is in km, since I am in Canada. I was wondering what is a good suspension renew procedure for it. It rides a bit "boaty" at times, though it is not critical. So I am just researching my options, as there are not too many unfortunately for the 2nd gen 6.
I've learned that Bilstein B8 is a great replacement shock/strut. But I am not sure about what spring to try? I know there was a racing beat springs set before, but they no longer have it. I think it was a very mild in drop, which would be perfect for me, as I do not want an aggresive drop to be able to still have decent road clearance.

Any suggestions on that part, and also is there indeed a rear sway bar that would fit or not? I could not find a concise ino on this. In any case, it is a nice resouce for the information and I am thankful to all the people who shared their knowledge here.
Hello. Have you searched the site? There is not a lot on the Mk2 but there is some here.
How To: 2nd Gen Lowering Spring Install
Outside of the coils above, and coil-overs, there is nothing else for that series car.
A lot depends on your budget but you may be able to find someone who will make custom sway bars.
Good luck, it looks like a nice sedan.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello. Have you searched the site? There is not a lot on the Mk2 but there is some here.
How To: 2nd Gen Lowering Spring Install
Outside of the coils above, and coil-overs, there is nothing else for that series car.
A lot depends on your budget but you may be able to find someone who will make custom sway bars.
Good luck, it looks like a nice sedan.
yeah, I searched quite a bit. Could not find a combination of springs/shock/struts that people really enjoy or like. I understand that struts/shocks are best when they are matched to the springs to be better then stock suspension. For me the stock suspensions is pretty good, though right now it feels like it gets a bit bouncy, not as planted as I imagine it should be when being upset by the road. Usually to remedy a slightly better at rebound struts/shocks remedy this I think. So perhaps if I just upgrade/replace the shocks/struts and keep the stock springs it might be a good combination.
And thanks, that how-to thread is very cool, and very nicely done.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seaching a bit more reveals that a good suggested upgrade is Bilstein B6, while keeping the stock springs... though after 220k I am not even convinced that stock springs are still as good as they were... but more time to think....

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
do you recommend it based on experience? and is it with stock dampeners or updated ones? I fear after 220k the factory shocks/struts might not be up to the task of handling stiffer shorter springs
At 220k, the struts/shocks should have been replace 2-4 times at least. You know you need those, so i just said to get H&R springs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Bilsteins will be good.
Thanks! I was also wondering if Racing Beat still make the springs, or ever did for the 2nd gen. I am pretty sure they do not produce them now. I found a video that has them installed though.
They were pretty mild, and I think they would work well with some Bilstein B6, providing a good controlled ride with a very mild drop.

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
4,006 Posts
Thanks! I was also wondering if Racing Beat still make the springs, or ever did for the 2nd gen. I am pretty sure they do not produce them now. I found a video that has them installed though.
They were pretty mild, and I think they would work well with some Bilstein B6, providing a good controlled ride with a very mild drop.
Contact Racing Beat. They have been very helpful in the past for me. They even gave me the spring stats on their 1st gen wagon units (discontinued) so I could have some made.
They may also have limited units still available (but not listed on the page) for older models.
I like the RB stuff because it does not drop the car too low or make it too stiff. I think it is something like a 20% rate increase.
FYI, my RB (front) springs at +20% and King springs (rear) at +30% are under-dampened by my KYB GR2 units. While this is not a revelation by any means, I am noting it in case you were tempted at any point. I had the dampers before the springs and have been making due until I replace the gas holders.

If you do go lower don't forget to release torque on your suspension bushings at the new ride height and re-torque them so you don't destroy those, (provided they are still viable after 220K km's).

If they are bad I would start any suspension project there. Best to have everything working properly before asking it to do more.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Contact Racing Beat. They have been very helpful in the past for me. They even gave me the spring stats on their 1st gen wagon units (discontinued) so I could have some made.
They may also have limited units still available (but not listed on the page) for older models.
I like the RB stuff because it does not drop the car too low or make it too stiff. I think it is something like a 20% rate increase.
FYI, my RB (front) springs at +20% and King springs (rear) at +30% are under-dampened by my KYB GR2 units. While this is not a revelation by any means, I am noting it in case you were tempted at any point. I had the dampers before the springs and have been making due until I replace the gas holders.

If you do go lower don't forget to release torque on your suspension bushings at the new ride height and re-torque them so you don't destroy those, (provided they are still viable after 220K km's).

If they are bad I would start any suspension project there. Best to have everything working properly before asking it to do more.
Thanks for all the tips, definitely would need to access the health of other components before doing springs/dampeners.
As for RB I contacted them and they said they never had the springs for the second
gen of mazda6, and are unaware what is person in the video is installing... I asked him in the YouTube comment, maybe he will answer. Second Gen does not have a lot of choice it seems, just eibach and h&r.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
oh, just took a look underneath the car (it was on the lift for alignment). Looks decent, only surface rust and balljoints are still good. I could see that the endlinks (both front and back) were changed, otherwise seems all still stock, but holding up. I imagine it had a highway life (I just got the car). So I think I will go through the winter and will form a plan for the spring on the new suspension. Really would love an improved handling without much of a drop. A racing beat would be great, but evidently Racing Beat never made springs for the 2nd gen, though the video I quoted earlier has them. I also found some evidence that people were indeed putting 1st gen springs on the second gen. From what I gathered the front spring is a direct fit for the 2nd gen, but the rear spring would not fit the lower part (control arm) so people apparently would flip it upside down (the spring) to fit and just say that it stays there solidly, even though it's not supposed to fit perfectly. Not sure how I feel about it.... anyone has anything to say on this issue? there is also some threads that say that mazdaspeed springs from 1st gen could work on the 2nd. Interesting to investigate...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
one more question, I hear that it is better to replace the strut mount then reusing it from the old strut. My question is which one to get. I found a KYB replacement on rockauto and I think it should work. Should I really replace it, or reuse the old one. Seems like a good idea to replace it, since it is a rubber peace.
here is the link to the part in question:

so for now, thinking of eibach pro-kit springs paired with Bilstein B8 and those KYB strut mounts. From what I've read the eibach will be a mild drop and with a progressive spring it still good in daily driving. But also there is the H&R and from what I found it will be a more sporty/stiffer spring, so not entirely sure, which combination will be better for daily driving. In the end it is how well they match up with the B8 dampeners. A good combination is stiff without any bounciness, fast solid rebound, the car should feel heavy and stable. In the BMW world the eibach + B8 works really well, not sure about the mazda world. Still searching the forum for those direct experiences. But B8 does not seem to disappoint.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts