Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 197 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Had them on my Golf R. Excellent tire for 3 seasons and light snow, definitely not a snow tire though.

I'll be putting them on my 6 when the stockers wear out.

Thanks for info! Did you ever have the A/S 3 in icy conditions? We have more ice than snow in Dallas. Also, how many miles do you figure you will get on the stockers? Thanks again.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Thanks for info! Did you ever have the A/S 3 in icy conditions? We have more ice than snow in Dallas. Also, how many miles do you figure you will get on the stockers? Thanks again.
Yes, there is/was plenty of icy/snowy roads up here in Wisconsin. Sadly, as great as the PS A/S3 is under regular conditions, it does not have many sipes which give you traction on icy/snowy roads. I had all wheel drive which helped a lot.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just bought a 2015 Mazda6 Touring MT Snowflake White on Sand Leatherette (quite rare), and I LOVE it! But, because of the poor OEM tire choice, I am considering trading them in right off the bat for something else, as Discount Tire is offering me $300 for the new OEM Dunlops. Should I take that? Seems generous for a 'used' tire, although only a couple hundred miles on them. How many miles could I expect on the Dunlops? I am also thinking of the Yokohama ADVAN Sport A/S. It is new, but the first 3 reviews on Tirerack are promising. I had the Avid Envigor on my older Mazda3. Loved them, but they only lasted 33K (had a 60K mileage warranty), so that was dissapointing, although they did give me $200 towards my next set. Also considering the Michelin A/S 3. Any thoughts?
No hate here for the OEM Dunlops. 21k and zero issues including (lack of) road noise; can easily see them going to 45k+ before needing to be replaced. Why? Probably because 70/30 hwy/city and deliberate effort to preserve tire life on both turns and stops.

J

·
0 Posts
No hate here for the OEM Dunlops. 21k and zero issues including (lack of) road noise; can easily see them going to 45k+ before needing to be replaced. Why? Probably because 70/30 hwy/city and deliberate effort to preserve tire life on both turns and stops.
Good to know, thanks! Mine do have road noise, but not objectionable. It is really dependent on road type/surface. They actually have a really nice ride, especially for 19", and they a relatively light, probably why Mazda is using them for better fuel economy numbers. That nice ride does result in compromised handling, as they feel squishy in hard turns. But, in normal driving situations, they are fine. So, I am now leaning towards keeping the OEM Dunlops, especially since you are up to 21K and counting. I didn't think they would last that long, based on other reviews (like from Tirerack), and there is a guy currently on eBay that is selling his stock Mazda6 19" wheels and tires with only 500 miles on them, and he reports the tread is at 8/32"! At that rate, they will be done at 2K miles! I guess everyone drives their car differently. Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have put 33K on my EOMs so far. I should change them now (getting close to bald) but I am so undecided. One the one hand Michelin A/S 3 gather rave reviews, but they are expensive and with low tread wear. On the other hand you have the Generals that get great reviews, but are noisy (according to many) and wear is just OK. So, here's to hoping that my dealer will run a discount on the Michelins next month. They have a special by 3 tires get the 4th for a buck, on selected tires... I do not know which ones yet...

J

·
0 Posts
I have put 33K on my EOMs so far. I should change them now (getting close to bald) but I am so undecided. One the one hand Michelin A/S 3 gather rave reviews, but they are expensive and with low tread wear. On the other hand you have the Generals that get great reviews, but are noisy (according to many) and wear is just OK. So, here's to hoping that my dealer will run a discount on the Michelins next month. They have a special by 3 tires get the 4th for a buck, on selected tires... I do not know which ones yet...
Michelin generally has a $70 rebate on their tires every 3-4 weeks, although that is usually through a major tire retailer, not sure if they have those rebates available through a dealer. Unless you live in a very wet climate, I would steer away from the General, as that tire is directional, which is the reason why it is noisy, and also part of the reason why the wear isn't great, as you can't cross rotate them. I think that the Yokohama ADVAN Sport A/S is the most intriguing choice, just too new to get a good read on it. But, from initial observations and its 50K mile warranty, I would probably take a chance on them if I were to buy today.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
...and deliberate effort to preserve tire life on both turns and stops.
What fun is that? :p

Of course I only get about 6k out of my max/extreme performance tires before they're either heat cycled into rocks or the tread's worn bald on the outsides of the tires. :lol:

I used to think I was cursed by not having a nice straight route to my work, but the flip side is I've actually got three different windy ways to get to work that all take about the same time. The variety for a commute is a real blessing!

·
Registered
37 Posts
What fun is that? :p
It's not, so I went out and added a 2012 GTI 6spd as a stablemate to fill the driving void. Now the Mazda stays home more often than not. Mazda6 = "luxury ride", highway trips, maximum fuel economy, cheap regular gas. GTI = racecar.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
GTI racecar? whaaaaa.. pick either of my 2 toys and let's test that theory, LOL.

Solar with a drive like yours I would love my 6 to death.. but probably use the miata more haha.

As for tires.. I'm at 30K and down to 5/32". Basically in need of replacement before bad weather season hits or I'll be up a creek... or more literally stranded at the bottom of a hill. Granted I have the 17" oem's... I can't decide on a tire. Likely going with the Pirelli CintuRato P7 or the Nitto Motivo

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
GTI racecar? whaaaaa.. pick either of my 2 toys and let's test that theory, LOL.

Solar with a drive like yours I would love my 6 to death.. but probably use the miata more haha.
My commute is also accross a valley so it even comes with hills. My miata was the PERFECT car for this commute!

But it was getting long in the tooth for my F1 driving style at 125k miles, and I couldn't justify buying a new two seater for our two car garage with 2 little ones at home.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Solar365: Over in the VW GTI forums a common answer to a given question is "because racecar". We know our cars aren't racecars; it's more a term of endearment. Anyway, the point of my original post was that the OEM tires are treating me VERY well. I feel they can do the same for others as long as your driving style is geared towards maximum tire life.

·
Registered
462 Posts
My commute is also accross a valley so it even comes with hills. My miata was the PERFECT car for this commute!

But it was getting long in the tooth for my F1 driving style at 125k miles, and I couldn't justify buying a new two seater for our two car garage with 2 little ones at home.
Thats why you buy the GTI! Because racecar is a fact! (and you can fit 2 "little ones" in the back!)
I've had a '10 GTI with K04 upgrade (313 WHP) and a '13 .:R Stage 2+. Both got over 30 MPG's when driven proper and were a blast in the twistys!

AZDRPhil: I'm sure you love that GTI huh? Sadly though, our cars have OE tires geared towards long life, not traction. Best mod I've done to this car was adding Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 in the stock size. It truly transformed this 6 into a better car on the back roads. (and has shown me I need a larger rear anti sway bar!)

Next car???? Mk7 R!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
GTI seem like a cool car, but VW...no way.

The only european car I'll ever consider buying is a porsche, because I've had enough of european reliability over the years.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just had a set of Kumho Ecsta LX Platinums installed on the 2014 GT (225/45-19). I'll let you know how they wear and perform. So far, much quieter than the worn out Dunlops (worn out at 35k miles!!).
Yes - please do tell us how those tires perform (noise, traction, etc.). My EOMs have 33k and close to bald...

·
Registered
65 Posts
In my experience, and from what i have learned here and with earlier forums I have been with, is that that any brand or type of tire will wear faster in a lower profile. My last three cars were on 45-series tires, which for me and others in my group, rarely went past 25k miles. I've had cars with 50 to 60-series which lasted beyond 40,000 miles.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I just had a set of Kumho Ecsta LX Platinums installed on the 2014 GT (225/45-19). I'll let you know how they wear and perform. So far, much quieter than the worn out Dunlops (worn out at 35k miles!!).

How do you like the Kumho's so far? How do they compare to the Dunlops? Any balancing issues, or anything? Thank you!

·
Registered
40 Posts
How do you like the Kumho's so far? How do they compare to the Dunlops? Any balancing issues, or anything? Thank you!
It is super smooth; no balance issues. It is my wife's daily driver, but on the few occasions I have gotten to drive it (including a couple of highway stretches) the Kumho's respond well and are quiet. I also like how they look.

21 - 40 of 197 Posts