Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if it was the 5 or 6 car washes in a row after the multi-step detailing of the w-end and the next two days of rainstorms combined that caused my interior A-Pillar to get a one inch wet-spot w/tear-drop hanging on that felt (headliner material) just above the A-Pillar hard plastic labeled curtain air bags ?

I mentioned it to my dealer and he will check it out this week at my Friday appointment . He mentioned that it might be the moon-roof flood-holes that are in the roof's interior corners ; thinking they might have been clogged by dirt . That seems to make some sense . What do you think , and has anyone else had this happen to their 6 or other cars ??

It just sucks and I'm worried it might rust the electronic circuitry of the Air bags and what not in there ! Not sure if the overflooding got to it through the felt making its way down in between the hard plastic ? If it has ; there should be surface rust ... and I'll make'em change whatever needs to under warranty .... trust me !

If the drain holes are the cause ; then what preventive maintenance can we do about it ? I don't see putting an air blower nosel into there solving much ; as it must go down quite deep & long before it exits somewhere under the car ! Again your comments will be much appreciated and will help me better equip myself in guiding them at the dealer in these sometimes inexperienced kind of problems . Thx ....

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had this happen with my old 85 Maxima, which I called a Minima after nearly 300K miles on it. It was one reason(along with wind noise) that I really didn't want a sunroof, but it came with it . I did clear mine by taking a air hose and blowing it out, so maybe it will work on yours. After that I made sure to check the corner's of my sunroof for any debris. I found out which one was clogged by pouring a small amount of water in each corner while I had the roof open so I could actually see which one was not draining. Hope it is a simple fix for you too.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
On a previous car of mine I had water leaking in. In the front drivers side it would work it's way down the pillar and come out on the side of the dash. In the rear it was working it's way down to the carpet. After dropping the headliner I found two of the hoses weren't even hooked up to the nipples in the pan any more. I reconnected them and the leaks stopped.

I would think blowing them out with air would help keep them clear, but make sure the pressure is not too high. It might be pretty hard to get to the rear drain hoses though. The one thing I never did with any of my cars that had moonroofs was to leave it open when the car was parked. Particularly in the Spring or Fall when there's a lot of leaves and debris blowing around. If that stuff gets down in the pan it'll clog up the lines for sure eventually. Especially the cottonwood stuff in the Spring.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ouch, and here I was, wishing my car had a sunroof.
[/b]
Nothing wrong with a moonroof, as long as you use a little common sense, like most other things. I would like to get one installed in my car some day. I never left any of mine open in parking lots or on the street anyways. I was always too afraid some chucklehead would throw his nasty trash in my car. I once found a hunk of cheese stuck on one of my door windows after coming out of a movie theater. A hunk of cheese for cripe's sake! I always erred on the side of caution after that.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On a previous car of mine I had water leaking in. In the front drivers side it would work it's way down the pillar and come out on the side of the dash. In the rear it was working it's way down to the carpet. After dropping the headliner I found two of the hoses weren't even hooked up to the nipples in the pan any more. I reconnected them and the leaks stopped.

I would think blowing them out with air would help keep them clear, but make sure the pressure is not too high. It might be pretty hard to get to the rear drain hoses though. The one thing I never did with any of my cars that had moonroofs was to leave it open when the car was parked. Particularly in the Spring or Fall when there's a lot of leaves and debris blowing around. If that stuff gets down in the pan it'll clog up the lines for sure eventually. Especially the cottonwood stuff in the Spring.
[/b]
Whenever I have someone work on my car , I stand & watch his every moves next to him when he's at it ..... so I'll keep an eye out once they open it for those hoses & nipples being connected or not .
I only focused on the front drain holes since my leak was frt driver , so I didn't notice if they're are some for the rear . I'lll check it out too .
I find it strange that they would clogg this early , only after 9,000 kms ! Either the hoses are mighty thin or somehow they came apart from them nipples .
I ride a lot with the roof open , but never do I leave it open when parked ; too scared to get torpedoed with bird droppings on the leather .
I'll let you know what comes up after the dealer .... wonder if anyone ever posted here with this issue on the 6 ; the veterans should know .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts