Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking the other day about the nightmare us V6'ers are going to have when our CATS eventually go. Im talking about the Pre-cats in this case. What kind of expensises are we going to be looking at. What kind of milage can we even expect? It almost seems that it might be just cheaper to put in a set of new headers rather then replace those pre-cats. Thoughts???

·
Registered
310 Posts
I was thinking the other day about the nightmare us V6'ers are going to have when our CATS eventually go. Im talking about the Pre-cats in this case. What kind of expensises are we going to be looking at. What kind of milage can we even expect? It almost seems that it might be just cheaper to put in a set of new headers rather then replace those pre-cats. Thoughts???
[/b]
No worries mate. Federal regs mandate that any properly maintained stock vehicle emissions sys (cats, pre-cats, and headers) must last the life of the vehicle. Note- this does not include anything behind the rear axle, i.e. mufflers. The key words here are STOCK and PROPERLY MAINTAINED. The dealer is clearly off the hook if you've made any changes that they know about. As for the "life of the vehicle", I believe it is ten years. Most of us will probably be driving different vehicles by then anyway.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Its not really a big deal dude, you can get random or magnaflow cats for like 100 bucks per unit. just weld them in at your local exhaust shop.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aight cool. I know they're warrantied for 120,00miles I just wasnt sure what to expect beyond that. It just seems that swapping those pre-cats would be a super bitch given they're location.

Thanx for clearing this issue up!

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
By the time that happens the 6 will be gone or it'll be stripped and rollcaged with a turbo engine, maybe AWD conversion, who knows... but one thing is for sure... I'll have headers in place of the stock manifold at least. :p

·
Registered
578 Posts
There is a group buy for the CP-E headers going on as we speak. No better time than now to get yourself a set. Insurance for the future. You know you want them. :)

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Headers would be nice, but its just not an option at this point, and im most likely keeping the 6 until it croaks. Not to mention I'll have it when I have kids and I don't think a baby would like the 6 w/ headers...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts