Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whatz up all. I was about to adjust my headlamps cuz they were pointing too low when my passenger low beam headlight went out. I took out the bulb, but it looked fine. Then I saw that the ground wire (black wire) metal connector broke off. It has no way of contacting the metal piece that sticks out from the back of the low beam housing. Is there any way to replace or fix this? I'm sure this is the problem, since I checked the other side and the metal piece was still intact. Where would I be able to find this part or fix this?

On another note, I said screw it, I'll deal with that later.... and I proceeded to adjust my headlamps using the guide that is on this forum. I think I turned the driver's side low beam adjuster too much and I heard a "thunk" noise in the headlamp. Apparently, the low beam lens seemed to have fallen off its bracket and is now pointing ridiculously low to the ground. I got pretty mad at myself cuz not only did I not have a passenger low beam working, but also the driver's side low beam is now pointing WAY TOO LOW. I decided to aim the integrated fog lights higher to compensate, but obviously the light output isn't as strong as the low beams. I took my car to the dealership and they said I had to replace the WHOLE headlamps, both of them. They quoted me at $1400 to replace them. I said F U and left.

Can anyone help me in this matter? I really need to get this fixed soon so I don't get hassled by cops. :(

P.S. BTW, the reason I was adjusting the headlamps is cuz I lowered my car... 2 inch drop in front, 1.5 inch in the rear.... so naturally, the aiming of the beams are pointed downwards.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Well, you've got two issues.

1. The ground wire on the housing needs to be fixed. If I understand you correctly the female connector on the end of the black wire has fallen off? If so, you'll have to strip the black wire some and attach a new connector.

This is the easy part.

2. The second issue is the one that worries me. The thunk noise you heard could very well have been the adjustment screw breaking off. I've seen this happen before. A fellow member was adjusting the headlight aim just like you were and put a bit too much force in turning the adjustment screw. The screw ended up snapping (its made from plastic after all) and he wasn't able to aim his projector as a result. I believe he ended up buying a new headlight assembly from Mazda... and they don't come cheap.

Pics would help. You'll need to take the headlight assembly off the car to really do any of the necessary repair work.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts