Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
How embarrassing...

:sarc

Sigh... This "Mine is bigger than yours" crap gets old after a while... There's more to life than 1/4-mile times and PEAK torque/HP numbers (never mind what the shape of the curves is, since I only drive at 6500 RPM :p ).

As someone once said, can't we all just get along? :sarc

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Reading Topic: A heated Mazda6 debate at Contour.org

Man! That forum is supposed to be for Ford Contour & Mondeo enthusiasts. Talk about gettin hijacked :D

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

Amazing how poeple say that "my car is much better then yours becauce it goes .3 seconds faster to 60"- Like WHO CARES?! WHO NOTICES?`

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I know... the guy is a complete moron. A few months back, there was another thread about the 6 where he was saying how much better the A4 is. He seems to be going from car to car, trying to find justification for his rather distorted views. It's really pointless to try and argue with him.

On edit: I think the reason it's so hotly debated because the 6 is sort of a successor to the Contour here in the States. I understand the argument that the V6 may in fact be overrated based on dynos. But to say it's underpowered is idiotic. The I4 has 160 and the V6 220 (or more like 210) hp. The Contour I4 had 130 and the V6 170 (195 for the SVT). The manual 6s (a serial production car) should outrun a SVT Contour (limited edition car) stock for stock and handles almost as well, while being bigger and having more features. But I guess that's not enough for some people.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

The A4 might be a better car overall. But from what I heard it's not nearly as fun to drive and and the "added quality" doesn't nearly justify the insane amount of money these cars cost.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Replying to Topic 'A heated Mazda6 debate at Contour.org'

Originally posted by BlackbirdThe A4 might be a better car overall. But from what I heard it's not nearly as fun to drive and and the "added quality" doesn't nearly justify the insane amount of money these cars cost.[/b]
Oh absolutely, it is a better car BUT at a price. I love the A4 but in the end, I could not justify spending $30k on an A4 (sticker on a loaded 1.8t) when the 6 with more power only cost $25,800 (sticker).

·
Registered
791 Posts

I don't feel like registering over there, but I already wasted half an hour reading every post.

Mention these points for me, will ya? (you can copy and paste)

I bought my 2.3l '6 for $17,201 (after $500 grad rebate). A nice turbo kit would put me at $20k and make about the G35's 280hp. The V6 starts around 20k. How can that be compared to a $27k car? Let's NOT compare apples to apples (options to options); because I don't want that extra weight in my car. The stripped V6 will undoubtedly be the better performer due to reduced weight, and we all seem to be interested soley in performance.

Regardless of what the horsepower rating is of the '6, it's already strong enough to induce minor wheel hop. IMO, more horsepower would demand a RWD car. Heck, I'd want RWD even with less horsepower. The problem is, I can't get that for under $20k- at least not with usable cargo area. The '6 is an enormous value, and gives me the best FWD can offer for a price less than RWD offerings. Added bonus: a huge trunk.

A 240hp Accord? The V6 in the Accord makes it handle like garbage. With the i4 it is competent, but still feels large. Either way it doesn't even begin to approach the '6 in dynamics. I know skidpad ratings don't tell much, but the '6 scored .87g opposed to the Accord's .81 and G35's .86 (all Car and Driver). That's more lateral grip than even the new Z car, and the '6 is the only FWD car I've ever driven that will so willingly swing the rear-end around!

Now, I'd take an equivelant RWD car over a FWD car any day, but the '6 is as good-driving of a FWD car as can be built. Move up in price, and you'd better not insult me with FWD. The Accord Coupe V6/6spd and TSX both do this at about $28k.

Heck, with my car weighing in a $17,201, I'll take the ten+ grand I saved and buy a used MR2- a REAL sports car. As far as true sports cars go, don't kid yourself thinking a FWD car can be taken seriously. They're good, but they've got limits. Name a heavy FWD car that has won an autocross- all the cars discussed here are heavy! Why the hell play up horsepower numbers when you're adding a linebacker over the front wheels? Are you that unskilled of a driver that you don't care about twisties? Where's the fun in punching the throttle if you can't throttle steer? No, your torque steer isn't throttle-steering.

FWD sucks, but allows cars to be compact and lightweight- that's how Integras and Mini's do it. With the recent horsepower wars, this weight advantage has gone to hell. Weight sucks in any car, but at least RWD cars distribute it properly.

So, anyway, I dare you to find a better value than what Mazda offers. The Mazdaspeed Protege and Mazda6 are perhaps the two best-handling FWD production cars in the world, and Mazda properly steps us up to RWD at the low price of $25k with the RX-8.

Oh, and per Car and Driver's most recent edition, the RX-8 slaughters the G35 for driving fun, as one might expect. Why? WEIGHT!

This from an ecstatic FWD Mazda6 owner.

·
Registered
305 Posts

Be nice to those guys. They have wake up every day and drive Contours. :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Originally posted by DennyABe nice to those guys. They have wake up every day and drive Contours. :)[/b]
Come on, don't hate :) The Contour is really not that bad. A buddy (posts as JVT on there) has an SVT and it's a sweet car. Not as well built as imports, obviously, but sweet nonetheless. And the current European Mondeo is very nice. The ST220 could probably spank the Mazda 6.

Oh, and yes, I am a Ford guy. :D

·
Registered
305 Posts

Hey, the new Mondeo is really cool. They just imported the wrong one... Ironic that they dropped the model just when it got really good.

As for the Contour... Well, it's better looking than the Tempo. :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

LOL....I meant I'm a Ford brand guy, meaning I like Fords. I do not work for Ford. ;)

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

I've had it out over there with Cartman before on the 6. Not sure who won in the end.
"The internet is a forum for slandering each other anonymously."

Originally posted by CzechMate
The manual 6s (a serial production car) should outrun a SVT Contour (limited edition car) stock for stock and handles almost as well, while being bigger and having more features. But I guess that's not enough for some people.[/b]
Whoa! I would wait for real world numbers before you make a statement like that!

Anyway, the 6 is the natural successor to the Contour, so the debate seems justified to me.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Originally posted by GreenNuggsWhoa!  I would wait for real world numbers before you make a statement like that!

Anyway, the 6 is the natural successor to the Contour, so the debate seems justified to me.[/b]
A magazine got a 15.1s 1/4 mile with a manual Mazda 6s. SVT Contours run low-to-mid 15's stock. A buddy (JVT on contour.org) ran a 15.01 with bolt-ons with his SVT. He also drove my car and said the hadling of the 6 is virtually as good as a stock SVT Contour. This is what I based that statement on - facts from the real world. :p

·
Registered
229 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: A heated Mazda6 debate at Contour.org

Arguing in an internet message based forum is like trying to out do each other in the special olympic. You guys are all very special.

·
Registered
8,628 Posts

Originally posted by CzechMate

Originally posted by DennyABe nice to those guys. They have wake up every day and drive Contours. :)[/b]
Come on, don't hate :) The Contour is really not that bad. A buddy (posts as JVT on there) has an SVT and it's a sweet car. Not as well built as imports, obviously, but sweet nonetheless. And the current European Mondeo is very nice. The ST220 could probably spank the Mazda 6.

Oh, and yes, I am a Ford guy. :D[/b][/quote]

And don't forget... it's Ford money & talent that designed the 6, and a Ford factory that produced it. Bow before the lords of Ford ;-)

Still, the Contours day's are up. Those guys should get with the program. The Contour WAS fine. Not anymore.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts