Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my 2003 lapis blue 6s on Saturday, and have a few questions.

1. Unfortunately, Ohio requires the use of the front license plate (blech). I see two dimples in the bumper; how do these get used for the license plate? (I only saw a message from someone wanting to go the OTHER way....)

2. This thing has Michelin HX P215/50R17's on it. Is this a middle-of-the-road performance tire? Is it likely to be really awful in the snow?

3. Do others find the clutch pedal travel to be longer than most other cars? I'm having a hard time getting used to it after my fairly tight 240SX. Maybe the 6 is out of adjustment?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
1. Drill holes, add in plate holder.
2. Michelins, like all other all-seasons, don't do great in snow. If you can, get a set of dedicated snow tires. Plus, how old are those Michelins? IF they are original tires, you may want to upgrade anyway.
3. Clutch feel is definitely unique. Probably nothing is wrong with it. However, I would if I were you, get the ss clutch line installed and change out your mtx fluid to improve the shifter feel.

And yeah, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. Drill holes, add in plate holder.
2. Michelins, like all other all-seasons, don't do great in snow. If you can, get a set of dedicated snow tires. Plus, how old are those Michelins? IF they are original tires, you may want to upgrade anyway.
3. Clutch feel is definitely unique. Probably nothing is wrong with it. However, I would if I were you, get the ss clutch line installed and change out your mtx fluid to improve the shifter feel.

And yeah, welcome to the board!
[/b]
1. Oh. Just drill through some thin plastic to get access to threaded holes underneath? Hmm, interesting.

2. Actually, the guy put new tires on before he sold it to me! I guess I'll see just how bad they are in the (infrequent) Ohio snow, and perhaps get a set of snows if it's awful......couldn't be as bad as my 240SX is though!

3. Ah, thanks. I'll have to search about this "ss clutch line" you mention for a description as to 'why' and 'what'. But I did go through that enormous thread about MT-90 transmission fluid (shoulda skipped to the end!), so I'm definitely going to do that! Thinking about the short shifter mod as well.....

[yikes, I JUST found that thread in the MTX forum about adjusting your clutch!!! Wouldn't ya know?]

Thanks!
Karl

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
follow up:

1. Don't think there are threaded holes underneath.
2. Well, if they're new, you should be able to make it through the winter; though I use winters here and we are about at the same "level" for winter snow fall here in Indy. FWD is easier than RWD you will re-learn!
3. ss= stainless steel. stainless steel clutch lines and new mtx fluid will totally improve the shifting experience (just not the clutch!)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
How many miles are on the car? I bought an 03 used with 49k miles, and I had to replace the clutch at 65k. Just something to think about, unless the owner had a bad clutch to begin with and got a revised one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts