Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I have not done any mods to my Mazda so far besides the Shark Fin antenna. Recently I've been thinking about buying some DDE lights or HID's. I was looking at the Xtec DDE Lightning: Raptor Edition kit off of therpmstore.com for DDE's. I've always seen DDE's on BMW's and have always wanted them for my car.

My questions are:

-What DDE lighting kit out there is the best?
-Can anyone with the Xtec DDE Lightning: Raptor Edition kit installed in there car provide me with some pictures and info on how they look/how they like them?
-On a scale from one to ten, how easy is the kit to install with very mediocre car knowledge? (I've never done any extensive modifications to any of my cars, especially electrical besides car stereos.)

Another thing I heard of is having HID's AND DDE's. I probably wouldn't want to drop 600+ on new lighting for my car. Is either upgrade better than the other? I know with the HID's, you don't get the nice halo effect of the DDE's which is what I'm really looking for, and I also know that installing DDE's will provide better/brighter lights than the stock which I feel is the main benefit of HID's besides the cool blueish effect.

One last thing that I can think of, I know there is some posts on how to install DDE or HID kits, but I cannot see the images posted and the only DDE instructions I see are Umnitza. Please forgive me in I've made an ignorant remarks, I'm disappointed to say I'm not as car savvy as I'd like to be. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Hummm... This is Speed6 section... so I would guess you have a Speed6... and I was pretty sure they all came with HID's... so that should solve 1 of your problems...

Ass for DDE kits... I have the raptor off that site you're looking at... and they're awsome... Best i've seen probably... quality kit...

As for install... car knowledge is meaningless... Knowing how to rebuilt an engine... and how to rip apart headlights are 2 different things...

HOWEVER... its pretty simple... just takes time... LOTS of time to do it right... I told another guy about this recently... If you plan on installing the DDE kit... put aside an ENTIRE weekend... as in... friday pull the lights out after work... saturday get up early.. bake 1... pull it apart... bake 2... pull it apart... then spend the entire day cleaning it out... re-baking when needed... clean it up good.. the better job you do cleaning and the more careful you are... the bet it will all turn out in the end...

If you don't have HID's... for whatever reason... get those first... DDE's (blueish color) with ugly yellow standard bulbs = ugly IMO... you gotta have projector HID's before you go DDE =)

BUT.. both are well worth it =)

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Hummm... This is Speed6 section... so I would guess you have a Speed6... and I was pretty sure they all came with HID's... so that should solve 1 of your problems...

Ass for DDE kits... I have the raptor off that site you're looking at... and they're awsome... Best i've seen probably... quality kit...

As for install... car knowledge is meaningless... Knowing how to rebuilt an engine... and how to rip apart headlights are 2 different things...

HOWEVER... its pretty simple... just takes time... LOTS of time to do it right... I told another guy about this recently... If you plan on installing the DDE kit... put aside an ENTIRE weekend... as in... friday pull the lights out after work... saturday get up early.. bake 1... pull it apart... bake 2... pull it apart... then spend the entire day cleaning it out... re-baking when needed... clean it up good.. the better job you do cleaning and the more careful you are... the bet it will all turn out in the end...

If you don't have HID's... for whatever reason... get those first... DDE's (blueish color) with ugly yellow standard bulbs = ugly IMO... you gotta have projector HID's before you go DDE =)

BUT.. both are well worth it =)
[/b]
Eh?? this is electrical section, not speed6 section... :nana:

werd about the HID goes along with the DDE, i m ok with the BMW effect of having yellow halos complement with the HID that came with the car, but vice versa, is a :nono:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Installing halos is easy, for a first timer would probably take you 5-7 hours. I can do it in 90-120 minutes now no problem. They look really good and well worth the work. Basically if you know how to take off your front bumper then you can install halos. If you do end up getting them feel free to pm me for instructions ive installed and uninstalled them probably 6 times by now so I am very knowledgable about them.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
It's time consuming work, but the look you get is well..............here take a look:

[attachmentid=17492]

Killa!!!

---Aloha

Attachments

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Yeah sorry... i'm so used to being in the speed6 section didn't realize I somehow wondered over here =)

U know what I find really interesting... The location people install them too...

I've seen several different setups now... I'm pretty sure the large DDE must can only go on the high beam reflector... HOWEVER i've seen the smaller one placed on all 3 of the other locations by now....

Some people do the blinker... others do the fake fog light.. and I did the driving lights....

Not sure if any 1 way is correct or not... The 'stock' bmw ones are placed around the high beam and low beam lights... but then you only ever see 1 of the halos if driving at night (because you won't see the one around the low beam if the low beam is on)...

Anyway looks good either way... I didn't know they'd fit anywhere else but around the high and low beams....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts