Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get 5 psi more with a manual boost controller but car jerks when i boost a couple lbs over stock. Does
anyone know how, or what fixes the jerks.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I want to get 5 psi more with a manual boost controller but car jerks when i boost a couple lbs over stock. Does
[/b]
This is the reason they shouldn't sell these parts...

You are hitting fuel cut, and aren't doing your car ANY good at all...

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Look into the turbo upgrade.

·
Registered
244 Posts
[/b]
It is a very bad idea to play with boost without knowing what you are doing....

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Zoom Zoom Boom

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Your just going to up and add 30% more boost and expect everything to be just peachy?!?!?

·
Registered
851 Posts
the addition of a manual boost controller lets us hold the full 16psi or what ever till red line. you really don't want to go over 16

·
Registered
706 Posts
I'd like to know how much the stock internals can handle. These turbo upgrade kits look great for $2500, but I betcha gotta buy a bunch of other supporting mods. If not, I'll be saving up that money for a while.

·
Registered
851 Posts
considering this is a fairly new platform, there is really only one way to go about finding that.

start doing mods one at a time, raising hp to include with it engine management. get it on a dyno and once you reach a part failure, make note, and there you go. simple as one two three

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
The clutch will go before any engine internals.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I hope our K04 turbos don't have perpetual problems like the ones that came on the Nissan 300ZX.

·
Registered
358 Posts
:laugh: :laugh: I love it when people that have no idea what they are doing start messing with stuff.

HUrrrr, more booooooost :drool:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
A fried clutch can cost hundreds and cause several days of downTime.

Blowing your motor because you added too much boost can cost thousands and downTime can be weeks.

Adding a lot of extra power without proper planning (i.e. extra 5psi boost) will more likely result in a dead motor than a dead clutch. If I had a choice I'd say blow the clutch, but you're more likely to blow the motor.

What really bakes my noodle is for the guys whose speed6 is their daily driver and still have six years of payments to look forward to.

I'll let others innovate and take the risk of potentially causing that much damage to a car that will probably void its warranty. I'll stick to doing the easy mods that don't require a weekend project. Guess I'm getting too old and a little wiser with my money.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
My speed6 is my daily driver... I got it paid of though =) So the 1000's I save in interest... go to mods... Though the mods I do have little to NO risk of failure...

Intake is very safe.. BOV is BETTER than stock as for being safe on the engine.... Downpipe is somewhat iffy.. though once I get it fully installed properly.. and smog tested... I might classify it as safe...

Stereo mods are safe... though they rattle the car loose over the years...

Boost controllers... Engine Management... and such are for the hardcore ... wanna-be-warranty-less fellas... Once they prove 10,000 miles on that stuff is safe... the rest can jump in... like that other guy said =)

·
Registered
380 Posts
[/b]

:slap:

Do youself a favor "Sic Speed" Don't turn the boost up 5 psi :nana:

·
Registered
692 Posts
First off:

Our stock block, rods, etc is VERY stout. Just to give you a reference, the stock rods on a 4g63 are toothpicks compared to ours. 400whp should be easy.

Secondly: FORGET ABOUT OVERBOOSTING! The ecu monitors the MAP (manifold absolute pressure) and will retard spark rev limit with an overboost condition until the MAP goes down to stock. Its actually in the manual, and its a constantly monitored code that does not trigger a CEL.

Overboosting with such an overworked turbo is a bad idea anyway! That turbo is really at its limit providing us the power it does now. Its most likely at the limit of its efficiency and overboosting it will only cause you to overheat the air being pushed through it, thus lowering hp by having a hotter intake charge. Now, its ok to use an MBC to get it to HOLD the same amount of boost for more RPMs, but, increasing the overall boost pressure is a bad bad idea.

Honestly, running the same amount of boost with the bigger, more efficient turbo will in itself increase hp by lowering intake charge temps. Same boost psi, same hp over a wider powerband and lower intake temps due to increased efficiency = increased power and reduced quarter mile times AND will be safer for the car in the long run!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts