Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm wondering how plausible it would be to move the start stop button in my 2010 Mz6 sGT from in front of the shift lever to behind the wiper stalk where the euro version has it.

I want to do this for two reasons:
- I could convert the area behind the shifter to the cubby that comes on models without push button start
- I like the look of it better.

I measured and the button appears to fit, just not sure how I would remove the trim around the gauges or whether there is enough depth for it to fit.

·
Registered
920 Posts

So, like this?
The button looks identical on both versions of the car. You would have to reroute the wiring to that location and drill a hole.
I think the panel you want to drill into is part of the entire dash. Since I doubt you want to remove the whole dashboard, your best bet is to go in underneath.
Remove the trim piece starting at the shifter and work your way up to the right of the steering wheel.
You have to remove the hood release lever to take off the lower panel.
Wrap a screwdriver in a towel or cloth. Pull the lever toward you and insert the screwdriver (flathead) in the gap above the lever. It will release a clip and the lever should slide toward you.
After the lever is removed, you can get to the screw behind it. Remove the screw and pull the panel toward you. There are several clips around the perimeter.
Once you get that panel off, you should be able to see the area behind where you want to put the switch and check for space.
Make sure to check for wires before you drill the hole of course.

~Mike

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, and yes that pict you posted shows exactly what I'm going for. However it's apparent that the raised molding around the button assembly is part of the trim and contributes to the look. Wonder if the trim is different between euro and us. Maybe they're an exact swap?

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually I take that back, looks like the button trim ring in the euro version is a separate part and not integrated with the trim molding.

·
Administrator
8,495 Posts
I'd actually like to see this done, and if it's an easy mod to do...

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I'm planning on doing a few small mods this summer. I think I'll be buying out my lease, but I need to be sure before I start cutting up things. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Moving start button

Just my .02 but my new CX-5 has the button behind the wiper stalk and I hate it. You can't see it so you lean over to look for it. The extra cubby space is not that great either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts