Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Mazda 6 2.3/MTX that I bought in August, and I have read the forum but could not find an answer to this question. The 2006 Mazdaspeed front end (bumper and hood), will it fit on a 2006 without modification or with little modification. It looks like it would but I want a second opinion.

Second, I recently installed rims from another mazda, (don't know what kinda it was as I just bought the rims because the tires and they already had the mazda logo in the middle). After installing them the brakes feel like their grinding when I stop, now they are a little lighter then my stock wheels so i don't know if that has anything to do with it but there is plenty of meat on all four pads so I am clueless as to what it could be.

And the last question is not a technical question so much as it is a "does this seem right" type of question.

Last night my friend, who drives a 2002 Civic Si, and I hooked up in a little race. I know, I know don't street race whatever, it was on a dark turn around, no one was around and I wasn't too concerned with hurting anyone but myself so, back to the story. I honked it and botched the take off but he didn't catch traction so I pressed the clutch, reved the motor into powerband, and took off and for first and second gear I stayed almost a half a car length behind but at the top of second and into third I started pulling. Now I know the 6's are fast and given both cars are about 160HP and around the same weight, I just don't think I should have taken him that easy especially when he had an AEM intake and I had the air box mod. I also took him from a rolling start too when VTEC should have been there but I don't know....

I just wanted a second opinion on that but mostly the first and second question are the most important

Thanks

EDIT: I found the answer to the first question, and it apparently will bolt up but would leave huge gap or so I read, I just have to get the bumper, the hood and the side panels. So never mind on that one.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a 2006 Mazda 6 2.3/MTX that I bought in August, and I have read the forum but could not find an answer to this question. The 2006 Mazdaspeed front end (bumper and hood), will it fit on a 2006 without modification or with little modification. It looks like it would but I want a second opinion.

Second, I recently installed rims from another mazda, (don't know what kinda it was as I just bought the rims because the tires and they already had the mazda logo in the middle). After installing them the brakes feel like their grinding when I stop, now they are a little lighter then my stock wheels so i don't know if that has anything to do with it but there is plenty of meat on all four pads so I am clueless as to what it could be.

And the last question is not a technical question so much as it is a "does this seem right" type of question.

Last night my friend, who drives a 2002 Civic Si, and I hooked up in a little race. I know, I know don't street race whatever, it was on a dark turn around, no one was around and I wasn't too concerned with hurting anyone but myself so, back to the story. I honked it and botched the take off but he didn't catch traction so I pressed the clutch, reved the motor into powerband, and took off and for first and second gear I stayed almost a half a car length behind but at the top of second and into third I started pulling. Now I know the 6's are fast and given both cars are about 160HP and around the same weight, I just don't think I should have taken him that easy especially when he had an AEM intake and I had the air box mod. I also took him from a rolling start too when VTEC should have been there but I don't know....

I just wanted a second opinion on that but mostly the first and second question are the most important

Thanks

EDIT: I found the answer to the first question, and it apparently will bolt up but would leave huge gap or so I read, I just have to get the bumper, the hood and the side panels. So never mind on that one.
[/b]
The "cleaned up" front bumper on the 06 model will not work with the speed 6 bumper. it will bolt on, i remember reading that the screws line up very close but you would have better luck if you had an 05. The gaps will look terrible even if you need modify it to fit. (if you look in the group buy section you will see a thread on badgeless grills for the 03-05 bumpers and speed 6, so that should tell you something.

on the second "question" I actually dont see a question but it depends more on the driver more than the actual car. IMO the civic should have clearly beat you

On a third note, since this is in the newbie section I will say this politly. Illegal racing stories are not to be discussed on the forums.

GL with your new 6

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The "cleaned up" front bumper on the 06 model will not work with the speed 6 bumper. it will bolt on, i remember reading that the screws line up very close but you would have better luck if you had an 05. The gaps will look terrible even if you need modify it to fit. (if you look in the group buy section you will see a thread on badgeless grills for the 03-05 bumpers and speed 6, so that should tell you something.
[/b]
Thank you for that useful information, now I know I should look else where if I don't wish to spend money on modifying the kit, I think I'm gonna try the sport kit as that seems to be a option.

on the second "question" I actually dont see a question but it depends more on the driver more than the actual car. IMO the civic should have clearly beat you
[/b]
The second question was actually about my brakes ---

"Second, I recently installed rims from another mazda, (don't know what kinda it was as I just bought the rims because the tires and they already had the mazda logo in the middle). After installing them the brakes feel like their grinding when I stop, now they are a little lighter then my stock wheels so i don't know if that has anything to do with it but there is plenty of meat on all four pads so I am clueless as to what it could be."

On a third note, since this is in the newbie section I will say this politly. Illegal racing stories are not to be discussed on the forums.

GL with your new 6
[/b]
Thank you Officer RASR. I appreciate you opinion but disagree, I simply asked if the race outcome was something that seemed a little off and you have given your opinion on that and I thank you. And I agree with you as well, well I do think I was faster however I don't think I should have taken him that easy, my friends driving ability is questionable but the 99 civic si stock run 16.1 maybe 16.0 and the 2002 civic runs only slightly faster maybe a 15.8 or 15.7...given that the only time I have for a 2.3 6 is 16.3 I figured he should take me but I guess the 6 is faster than I thought, anyway its not important. Thank you for the opinion on the outcome

TO ANYONE ELSE POSTING I AM AWARE THAT SOME OF YOU DON'T LIKE STREET RACING, I'M NOT YOUR CHILD AND THEREFORE DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT WANT THE SPEECH. I HAVE IT HEARD BEFORE, I'LL HEAR IT AGAIN, BUT NOT EVERYONE ON THIS BOARD FEELS THE SAME AND I HAPPEN TO BE ONE, THANK YOU

I don't want any problems but I hate for people to tell me things repeativly, i'm not a bad guy just think street racing is fine when done where it is just you and that person. I street race, I like it, so get over it.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
No problems brotha, just remember it's you vs a whole lot of people who disagree with street racing. Poeple on here have families and friends and the last thing they would want is a family member or friend being killed in a car accident by something like street racing, something they couldn't prevent themselves from being in. If you street race and you like it that's fine, just remember, safety first!!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No problems brotha, just remember it's you vs a whole lot of people who disagree with street racing. Poeple on here have families and friends and the last thing they would want is a family member or friend being killed in a car accident by something like street racing, something they couldn't prevent themselves from being in. If you street race and you like it that's fine, just remember, safety first!!
[/b]
I agree 100% with you, and if there is even a couple of people on the road with me I won't, I am not the guy who races in traffic or anything like that, I just feel that I can race safely and that if no one is around but me and that person, the only people who can get hurt are me and him/her. Like I said, im not a bad guy, just don't feel like driving 20 something miles to the track to have a quick race is necessary. Find a remote spot, make sure no ones around, race and enjoy. And I would tell that to anyone.

Now back to topic,
still wondering about my brakes...anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I agree 100% with you, and if there is even a couple of people on the road with me I won't, I am not the guy who races in traffic or anything like that, I just feel that I can race safely and that if no one is around but me and that person, the only people who can get hurt are me and him/her. Like I said, im not a bad guy, just don't feel like driving 20 something miles to the track to have a quick race is necessary. Find a remote spot, make sure no ones around, race and enjoy. And I would tell that to anyone.

Now back to topic,
still wondering about my brakes...anyone have any ideas?
[/b]
I won't blame you any, it's nice to step on the gas here and there. I just make sure I'm safe as well, but then again, stepping on the gas means more gas being used which means more money out of my pocket which means less money for parts on my car. WHich sux!!

Anyways, you might be experiencing grinding because you need spacers with your rims man. You need to also if you can specify the type of tires/rims/ that are on your car now. Remember that our 6's rim has a 60mm offset stock making it VERY hard to find replacement rims. Just take a look at your wheel wells real quick and you can tell, you can't put much aluminum with rubber up in there at all. Take some pictures of your rims if you do not know what kind they are. I'm sure someone can help you furthur if you repost with specs. ;)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I won't blame you any, it's nice to step on the gas here and there. I just make sure I'm safe as well, but then again, stepping on the gas means more gas being used which means more money out of my pocket which means less money for parts on my car. WHich sux!!

Anyways, you might be experiencing grinding because you need spacers with your rims man. You need to also if you can specify the type of tires/rims/ that are on your car now. Remember that our 6's rim has a 60mm offset stock making it VERY hard to find replacement rims. Just take a look at your wheel wells real quick and you can tell, you can't put much aluminum with rubber up in there at all. Take some pictures of your rims if you do not know what kind they are. I'm sure someone can help you furthur if you repost with specs. ;)
[/b]

Its Yoko rubber but i'll have to post a pic because I have no idea what kind of rims they are let alone the offset.......all I know is that they are rims from another mazda. I'll take a pic and post it ASAP. I will say this, I haven't had any problems with rubbing in the wheel well, in fact the handling has been much improved with a lot more grip in the corners. Its just the braking. Let me get thoses specs and the pics up and I guess we'll go from there.

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts