Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried this out? This may sound crazy but here goes. Often times when it is extremely warm here in Southern CA, I have the a/c going. I know when the a/c is running it is robbing some hp from the engine's output. What if you can direct some of that cold air back into the removed tuba, causing 'real' cold air into the intakes. Won't this offset the lost in hp when the a/c is on?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
No, the amount of hp lost from the A/c wont be negated by having A/C air blow into the intake. Just get a CAI instead of the airbox mod.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Has anyone tried this out? This may sound crazy but here goes. Often times when it is extremely warm here in Southern CA, I have the a/c going. I know when the a/c is running it is robbing some hp from the engine's output. What if you can direct some of that cold air back into the removed tuba, causing 'real' cold air into the intakes. Won't this offset the lost in hp when the a/c is on?
[/b]
Not even close. That is like trying to leave the freezer door open to cool the house. The heat generated by the compressor will more than negate the increased cooling from the freezer.

·
Registered
426 Posts
[/b]
you're thinking, and that's good! :)

If I had to guess based strictly on the booty dyno I'd say a/c probably drains 10whp from the car. In order to even recover that parasitic loss you'd have to lower the intake charge temp by more than 100 degrees F, which of course the the a/c cannot achieve. I guess potentially you could reduce the amount of hp loss while using your a/c by redirecting some of the air from your system to your intake, but I dont think hanging onto an extra 5hp would be worth your time. :)

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
No, the amount of hp lost from the A/c wont be negated by having A/C air blow into the intake. Just get a CAI instead of the airbox mod.
[/b]

The AC is ANYWAYS ON. All that he is asking for is taking ONE vent and guiding it to the airbox.
How is that NOT going to help?

·
Registered
33 Posts
The AC is ANYWAYS ON. All that he is asking for is taking ONE vent and guiding it to the airbox.
How is that NOT going to help?
[/b]
If a dam breaks, you can take a bucket and carry water from the lower reservoir back to the upper reservoir. Is it going to help keep water on the correct side of the dam? Yes. Is it worth the trouble? No, because the difference wouldn't be appreciable.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
if this worked, there would be free energy for everyone to enjoy. for all of eternity.

·
Registered
163 Posts
You guys are being to hard on him. He isn't looking to Negate the effect. Just help....give him some slack.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You guys are being to hard on him. He isn't looking to Negate the effect. Just help....give him some slack.
[/b]
Beyond any heat or power loss from the a/c... the air that the a/c creates isn't even close to cold enough. I've never seen an a/c that can make are cooler than say 50-60 degrees (I'm guessing those numbers). Intake air taken from moving air is cooler than that in general so you'd actually be warming the air up. By how much? Who knows, maybe if someone wanted to experiment they could put a temp sensor or something on their intake (got an open vacuum line) and see just how cold that air ususally is. I'd be willing to bet that your average a/c temps are warmer. Great thinking though, I'm glad to see people on here talking about things other than LED installs and ricey shit. LOL!

·
Registered
33 Posts
[/b]
Being too hard on him? It's not like anyone is calling the guy dumb. Everyone's just pointing out that it wouldn't work.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Being too hard on him? It's not like anyone is calling the guy dumb. Everyone's just pointing out that it wouldn't work.
[/b]
prove it that it will not work in a 110 degree summer.

c'mon it is worth a shot in this freaking heat when the air coming at ground level is HOT....and that is what goes in a CAI.

Like said earlier, the AC is anyways on. why not use some of the cold air that goes to the cabin to cool the air going to the CAI?

·
Registered
33 Posts
The problem is the air that could be pushed by one vent from the A/C could not place a cold charge (so to speak) on the intake air temperature. It would have no effect, in fact it may not be good for the A/C...

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
how about combining it with air from outside? i.e. not to rely soley on the Vent air, but a y-pipe that takes air from outside and the AC air?

·
Registered
254 Posts
even if this did work...how would you route the ducting from the cabin to the airbox? drill a huge hole in the firewall?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Since everyone seems to be reading the first post, then clicking the reply button I'll repost my statements from post number 7

...I'd say a/c probably drains 10whp from the car. In order to even recover that parasitic loss you'd have to lower the intake charge temp by more than 100 degrees F, which of course the the a/c cannot achieve. I guess potentially you could reduce the amount of hp loss while using your a/c by redirecting some of the air from your system to your intake, but I dont think hanging onto an extra 5hp would be worth your time.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts