·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whaddya think - is my R-134 just low?

·
Registered
572 Posts
IDK, but I have the same problem. I was thinking that is what it is, I may have to buy a guage and find out

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IDK, but I have the same problem. I was thinking that is what it is, I may have to buy a guage and find out
yah, I'm going to hook mine up this morning - was WAY too hot to try yesterday at 104 outside!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so the level is at the bottom of the 'blue' range - I got a small can of R134 (no oil) but meant for higher mileage cars so has some prevent-leak stuff in it.

Should I try the whole can? or just a bit of it?

·
Registered
572 Posts
i wud say if it is in range then it's ok. as far as the high mileage goes, idk, but don't think it wud be an issue. last time this happened, i took it to the dealer and the problem was condensation in the system, which they said wud no be covered under the warranty b/c it is a maintenance item. they saw the instant rage in my face as the car had about 30K and did it for free. That time though, it was blowing almost hot, it is at least blowing cool now. let me know what happens, i will prob hook up the meter to it this w/e

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i wud say if it is in range then it's ok. as far as the high mileage goes, idk, but don't think it wud be an issue. last time this happened, i took it to the dealer and the problem was condensation in the system, which they said wud no be covered under the warranty b/c it is a maintenance item. they saw the instant rage in my face as the car had about 30K and did it for free. That time though, it was blowing almost hot, it is at least blowing cool now. let me know what happens, i will prob hook up the meter to it this w/e
I ended up dumping a small cannister into the system - which sucked, because I put TOO much in - at least the system has a pressure valve and expelled the overcharge with several PFFFTS!

it seems a little better now, the compressor isn't cycling every other second at least and the A/C runs better at idle...

I've never had the system fully evacuated and refilled - maybe it's time at 100k to try that due to condensation...

·
Registered
8 Posts
If your rad fan isn't working you will get very poor cooling at low vehicle speeds and when parked. There is a TSB regarding the fan control module on early cars, might be worth a look.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If your rad fan isn't working you will get very poor cooling at low vehicle speeds and when parked. There is a TSB regarding the fan control module on early cars, might be worth a look.
I just had that done about 2 weeks ago

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think most of the cars I have had do same thing it will get alot cooler when driving. But i read somewhere (dont member where) that our cars a/c sucks in hot weather like 90 plus. I put mine on one vent blowing directly at my face and it still barely does the trick. Not like my wifes impala you have to turn that one down sometimes it gets so cold.. And I just filled mine also. I did the same as you with the over fill :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
we have had our 6 for about 3 years, (its an 03) and every year when it starts getting hot out (i live in southern texas, its HOT here) i have to put some freon in it. I know there has to be a leak somewhere, but i havent found it yet. After i put about 3/4 of the large refill can in, it starts working well again, and will last till the next year.

same problem, at idle, like sitting line at a fast food place, it wouldnt blow cold at all. on the road it would do better, but still not really cold.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mazda 6s 2005 Manual trans- I had the same problem over the last 2 weeks. Last night I had a huge temp surge and the car almost overheated. Had to put on the Heat to cool it down so it didn't die (not a fun thing to do in south florida). I ran it later and the raid fan didn't kick in right away. Have someone looking at it today/tomorrow. From what I've gathered on other sites, it could be the thermostat (not kicking the cooling fan on) or something related to the fan motor/clutch?? I'll repost when I get a final diagnosis, but it's something that, if in the beginning stage, should be looked at soon in order to avoid engine damage

·
Registered
2 Posts
If your fans run with the car shut off and keep running way too long or don't run when your cars been running for a while, the fan control module could have gone out. My 03' 6s has gone out 8 times, dealer won't warranty the part anymore even if I bought it 3 months ago. I just install it myself anymore. It's funny, they know that there is a problem with them because the part number changes as fast as the weather but they won't warranty it. Not cheap at about $80 a pop, used to be $94.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts