Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when hvac is in auto the a/c turns on every time even if i set the temp so that only heat is needed. if i hit the a/c button to turn it off it kicks it out of auto mode. i had the dealer check it out today the said it was supposed to work like that but that doesn't make any sense. why would the a/c be running if you only need heat? thats terrible on the gas mileage. does everyones auto hvac work this way?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Replying to Topic 'a/c on when in auto'

Yep, mine does the same thing. I figure it stays on so that it can defog automatically when it needs to. Personally, I think the engineers got lazy and didn't want to program the A/C to know when to turn on by itself.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Reading Topic: a/c on when in auto

It's "on" as in the clutch on the a/c pump is energized or it's "on" as in the light is lit on the console? If you havn't checked the former, you might want to open the hood and verify that the pump is actually turning (inner part of pulley is turning). It might be that it is only indicating that the a/c will run if needed.

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts

It depends on what setting the temperature is on. The A/C when in auto will cycle but will not actually be running. It's basically there to help defog the windows, and it does a pretty good job of it too!

Anyways, I am sure it's nothing you need to worry about.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Replying to Topic 'a/c on when in auto'

Originally posted by pgmr

It's "on" as in the clutch on the a/c pump is energized or it's "on" as in the light is lit on the console?  If you havn't checked the former, you might want to open the hood and verify that the pump is actually turning (inner part of pulley is turning).  It might be that it is only indicating that the a/c will run if needed.[/b]
good point, i'll check that out as soon as it stops raining. thanks.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

When in Auto the 'A/C' being on only works as a dehumidifier of sorts. Helps so your windows don't always steam up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts