Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's been getting pretty hot out here since the past weekend here in VA. The humidity has been killer. Usually I drive around with the windows down when I'm putting around town by myself. A lot of the time, I take my four-legged best friend around with me whenever I take a drive. I turn on the A/C for his sake when it gets too hot when we're both stuck in traffic, but lately it feels like it's not cooling as it should. I thought it wasn't cooling 100% since it was on idle, but I also turned it on while I was on the freeway but that didn't make a difference either. I have to leave it cranked all the way up for some effectiveness. I have no clue when it comes to A/Cs so I could use some schooling.

How often is the freon supposed to be refilled? Can I buy those refill kits they sell at the auto stores and refill it myself? What should I check for? Is this something I can fix myself or will I have to take it to the dealership and get it done? TIA:)

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Well, if it is low on freon, you can service it yourself with a kit from the auto parts store. The thing is, you need to locate the leak area and determine if it needs fixed or not. When an A/C isn't used very often, the front seal on the compressor will leak, sometimes it blows out completely. Sounds like yours is simply leaking an bit.

Buy the service kit along with a can or two of freon and one small can of leak-detect/oil. If you want, you can come out to the house and I'll show you how to service it up. I have the hose kit with gauge, but you'll need to buy the freon and oil....

Reactions: AtTheDriveIn

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
That A/C should be spitting out ice-cubes when it's set to 70. I think the cabin thermostat used to regulate the interior temp & 'climate control' system (if one exists) is way outta whack. I have to set it to like 77 degrees to have it be like 69-71F in the cabin. I don't know what that's all about... I mean it's better than it not getting cold enough. I know nothing about A/C's except it does sound like your freon could be low. I'm not 100% on what goes down when the compressor is on it's way out. I had one go on me way back when, and I think you could hear it whining or something, but it was ages ago.

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
popular ol "my ac sucks" thread - clicky-clicky

In my case, and post number 33 in the above thread, I was low on freon

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Buy the service kit along with a can or two of freon and one small can of leak-detect/oil. If you want, you can come out to the house and I'll show you how to service it up. I have the hose kit with gauge, but you'll need to buy the freon and oil....
Definitely Forzdaman. It's not going to get cooler anytime soon so I gotta act fast. Thank you, sir!! I was actually planning to go to your house sometime next week and free load off your fender rolling tool for my wheels. :rolleyes: My rubber comes in this week and I plan to get them mounted but I'll be out town this weekend.

That A/C should be spitting out ice-cubes when it's set to 70. I think the cabin thermostat used to regulate the interior temp & 'climate control' system (if one exists) is way outta whack. I have to set it to like 77 degrees to have it be like 69-71F in the cabin. I don't know what that's all about... I mean it's better than it not getting cold enough.
I also did that trick you mentioned, Dougeman. It's funny that you mentioned the cabin thermostat deal because my neighbor has a NA 6 (not sure exactly which one) and had that funk going on too, but his was cold as ice.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Im not sure on mazdas but for gm's anything 20 degrees below ambient is considered good. As for it not being cold, you def have a leak somewhere and it is a slow leak. The only way to get a dye in the system is to create a vacuum. Idk how one would go about doing that without an A/C machine. If you decide to do it yourself, since it seems like its a slow leak, you may need to inject the dye and drive it for a week and then check for the dye. Be careful tho as any water will wash away the dye. Slow leaks are a pain in the ass to find for that reason. Youl also need a dye light obviously to see the dye. But ya in all honesty its def worth it to bring it to a shop and just tell them to recharge the ac and add a dye. If your trying to save money you can just find the leak yourself instead of having them do it. But ya like I said if its a slow leak they most likely will tell you to bring it back in a week.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts