Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While running some logs this morning I found myself with the strangest damn rattle that got worse as the rev's went up. I crawled my way home and started poking around, only to find my ac compressor had spit out the bolt holding on the clutch on the outside of the pulley.

In the first pic, off to the left is a blurry gold-ish thing which is the bolt that tried to escape, and the clutch stands out on it's own, right where it had been bouncing against the body - my rattle!

Up in the air she went, off with the tire and liners for easy access, test fit the bolt to be sure the threads were still good, then reassemble with a nice fat drop of blue loctite.

Edit to add bolt specs:
It's a standard M6, 10mm hex head, threads 15 mm long.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Wow nice find - glad it was something as simple as that, thank god for the under tray too! lol

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I highly encourage ya'll checking that bolt the next time you have your hood up, it's easily reachable from the top for verification.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I will check mine now because of this known issue. Did you torque the bolt down TGS6?

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's the diagram from the speed6 service manual. Looks like 11 ft/lbs, but I jsut went with as tight as I could while holding the assembly by hand. Pretty darn tight, + a drop of blue to keep it there this time- bolt was clean, so I'm pretty sure there was no chemical retainer to begin with.

Overall, it took longer to get the car up in the air than to do the repair, lucky that none of the parts went missing!

In this diagram, part #'s 1, 2 & 3 were involved.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Thanks Ti. I was going to look at the service manual if you didn't know this info. It looks like it's 11 ft/lbs for that bolt, not 11 in/lbs.

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
honestly didn't mess with the tq wrench, just got it as tight as hand holding the clutch would let me, which was pretty damn tight. The blue locktite is the real fix here :) Good catch on the lb/ft- I updated the previous post to prevent future confusion

The manual does suggest using a long screwdriver between two if the magnets to hold the clutch from spinning-

Info is found around page 7-40-17

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi guys,
I have an 06 sport wagon. My A/C stopped working, the clutch is loose, i thought maybe it was magnetic because when i pushed it around it reengaged and started working again. Its still loose, could my wagon have this same clutch and be missing this bolt? I dont feel the bolt. Where is my best bet to get one and can i fix it with everything on the car? It feels like there isnt a ton of room. Thanks

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the bottom pic in the first post is through the cover behind the tire, for the 2.3l it should provide enough room to troubleshoot & repair. Sorry, I don't recall the bolt specs....

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sorry, I really don't.
maybe post the question in the 3l/v6 section, I'm sure they could get you some better details.

feel free to link back to this post or to reuse the pics if it helps!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Mine came loose too. I actually lost the bolt. I went to Napa and got a new one. I guessed on the size and luckily it was the same bolt.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
14 Participants
Michael Watkins
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing