Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been waiting to get this thread finally started until I had some pics taken with my camera rather than the nasty cell phone! Bought a 2015 MTX iTouring M6, insisted on Meteor Grey with the sand/almond interior which are difficult to find in a MTX Touring. I had been planning on this car since about Apr/May 2014, scheduled to buy in Nov when wife's car was paid off. So basically over those months I was on here nightly (lol) searching what I wanted to do to this car to make it stand out amongst other 3rd Gen M6's let alone all the other common cars out there! I had suspension, exhaust, and wheels all bought and waiting for months prior to getting the car (what can I say, I hate procrastination!) haha.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
As you can see from this crappy cell phone pic this is after the first "upgrade", went with this coilover setup which was reviewed really well by @[email protected], http://forum.mazda6club.com/suspension-brakes/318242-rs-r-sport-i-coilover-review-projectsix.html Along with 19 x 8.5 Vossen CVT (32mm offset). Fell in love with these wheels thanks to @Byakuya! I did save money by stretching the OEM Dunlops onto the Vossen's....It'll look alot better once I get some 245/40 tires on her but this will do for now until the Dunlops get worn out.

This is sitting a little over a 1.5" drop.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Next up was getting my sound back! I had my trusty Rockford Fosgate amp and subwoofer from my last car (TSX) that needed to be put to work again. Had some great guys at Audio Express in Raleigh hook it up to the stock HU. A lot of audio places wont install unless bought from them, but these guys were cool with it. They did recommend AudioControl's LC2i converter for signal outs as seen here AudioControl LC2i 2-channel line output converter for adding amps to your factory system at Crutchfield.com
(which was not used on the TSX's install) due to newer cars HU's which usually tone back the bass as volume goes up to protect the factory speakers. I can tell you, there is a very noticeable difference in the quality and amount of bass with this setup and recommend this to any of you planning aftermarket amps to subs with the stock HU.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Last but not least, I had Racing Beat's exhaust put on the back at the same time as the wheels and coilovers....can't say how much I love the sound of them, just enough to make this car sound meaner but not embarrassingly loud at all, also zero drone. Great quality sound from these!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And that is it for now! My future plans include HID lights, the CS shortshifter, a rear swaybar, and an eventual SRI once it comes with a cold air box (will probably only do this if I tune the car though), and of course 245/40/19 tires which should fill the wheel well much better and match nicer. Overall I love how this car rides and handles, and especially how she looks! Enjoy some other pics from this AM's photoshoot on the way to work (excuse the frost on the car haha)! Lemme know what you think!

·
Super Moderator
16,838 Posts
Ahhhhhhhh!!!! So Jealous of those Vossens!!!!!

Car looks gorgeous sir, keep it up.

·
Premium Member
1,071 Posts
Very well done, fellow Carolinian. It's interesting how 19's and 20's look like a perfect fit on the car dependent on the design. Those Vossens have enough empty space to appear larger than the stock 19's and would probably look oversized in a 20". I've also been looking at 19x8.5 wheels and, if you get a chance, could you post some pictures of the fitment in the fender? I was thinking that 32mm would be the perfect offset for that size wheel, but tirerack/carid tend to disagree.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very nice! Is it possible to get a sound clip of the exhaust at some point? It looks great.
There are some good youtube clips out there already, @kylekap19 posted this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nImbaMlvRyU and there are others as well. I listened to a lot of them (CS's, and a lot of custom exhausts) on here and liked RB's best, but to be honest none of the quality of the clips really do it justice. I went with it b/c of reviews saying it wasn't as loud as other exhausts which is what I wanted.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very well done, fellow Carolinian. It's interesting how 19's and 20's look like a perfect fit on the car dependent on the design. Those Vossens have enough empty space to appear larger than the stock 19's and would probably look oversized in a 20". I've also been looking at 19x8.5 wheels and, if you get a chance, could you post some pictures of the fitment in the fender? I was thinking that 32mm would be the perfect offset for that size wheel, but tirerack/carid tend to disagree.
Thank you all for the feedback! @Donkey Grundle , The fitment is very close to flush and will look even more flush with appropriate sized tires once they go on. You could nitpick that it might need a couple mm spacer to be exact but that's splitting hairs. I ordered them from an online seller which said they would NOT fit and they would not guarantee anything if I ordered anyways. But I had enough help in this forum to know they would definitely fit without issue. I even called them and they said they couldn't guarantee fit b/c it is an auto-computed thing opposed to based on actual real world data. Here is the best pic I have (quick cell phone shot) re: fitment. I am lowered over 1.5" with no rubbing even with whole family in car (coilovers are on default stiffness, and could go a lot stiffer if needed even). Hopefully this helps!

·
Premium Member
1,071 Posts
Thanks, @ballsy. I figured the rear would fit fine with how the much more tucked the rear tires are. I'm trying to decide between 38mm and 32mm offset and am concerned about poking on the fronts. Trying to minimize my offset to get that concavity son!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Very nice! Is it possible to get a sound clip of the exhaust at some point? It looks great.
he probably dosent have a quality mic to pick up that kind of sound :/
Looks Great! you should turbo charge it :D

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks, @ballsy. I figured the rear would fit fine with how the much more tucked the rear tires are. I'm trying to decide between 38mm and 32mm offset and am concerned about poking on the fronts. Trying to minimize my offset to get that concavity son!
The more offset, the more concave so go for 32mm if the wheel is no wider than 8.5"! Ill try and get a pic of the front tires, they don't poke at all. I do need mud guards though b/c there is definite spray on the sides that appear quickly after a good wash.
Edit: Reviewing my thread, learned over time that width is the single contributor to concavity. Regret not going for a wider wheel and not caring that it required new tires as well....I was bent on keeping stock tires to save money and should have just done the wheel size I wanted when I could have.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts