Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very close to making a deal for a brand new Grand Touring Reserve. Soul Red with Black. Coming from a 2013 Honda Oddysey Touring Elite.

Does anyone have any thoughts/comments on the Mazda?

Any regrets on purchase, etc?

Thanks in advance.:grin2:

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm very close to making a deal for a brand new Grand Touring Reserve. Soul Red with Black. Coming from a 2013 Honda Oddysey Touring Elite.

Does anyone have any thoughts/comments on the Mazda?

I've got a Canadian 2018 GT, which is equivalent of an American GTR. I absolutely love this car.

My only complaints are not deal breakers at all (for me), like the fact that you cannot use the car keys to lower the windows and open the moon roof.

I would buy the exact same car again if it was totaled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,400 Posts
I've got a Canadian 2018 GT, which is equivalent of an American GTR. I absolutely love this car.

My only complaints are not deal breakers at all (for me), like the fact that you cannot use the car keys to lower the windows and open the moon roof.

I would buy the exact same car again if it was totaled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly what he said.

And I'm on my 3rd Mazda6, after 6 years with a 1st-gen '04 and 8 years with a 2nd-gen '10.

·
Registered
646 Posts

This is a Mazda 6 forum and a fan club! I think you asked the wrong question...

My only regret is because I was in hurry to purchase the car. I should have waited for another year so that I have a built-in 360 camera.

You might want to consider applying some after market paint protection. Compared to our CR-V 98, I find Mazda's paint to be "fragile".

Will I buy another Mazda? Yes! As long as I have the money.

·
Registered
127 Posts
This is a Mazda 6 forum and a fan club! I think you asked the wrong question...

My only regret is because I was in hurry to purchase the car. I should have waited for another year so that I have a built-in 360 camera.

You might want to consider applying some after market paint protection. Compared to our CR-V 98, I find Mazda's paint to be "fragile".

Will I buy another Mazda? Yes! As long as I have the money.
Really good advice. I just finished waxing my Mazda6 Touring today and there a decent amount of paint chips on the hood and front bumper. If you're in and around trucks like I am in the N.E., specifically Jersey I95 and 280, a lot a crap gets on the roads and up your face, so some good paint protection is warranted.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've owned a 2018 Signature in Soul Red Crystal with the dark chestnut interior since June of 2018. It's a beautifully finished car and has been very reliable, and the only regret I have is regarding the paint and how easily it chips and scuffs. It's extremely thin so it chips very easily revealing the white primer layer. It seems to be somewhat of a common problem with Mazda's paint having durability issues and the problem seems to be the worst with the SRC color. I've heard of many owners of the new Honda Accord having their own paint issues with bubbling and cracking so Mazda's not alone. Seems that environmental laws have resulted in modified paints and processes which are much less durable than older paints which had other additives which made them hold up longer. It's very disappointing to have a virtually new car with so many visible flaws in its finish. Maybe one of the protective film treatments would be advised and might help minimize the problem but hindsight is 20/20.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was originally looking at a GTR and ended up getting a good deal on the Signature trim instead. Can't go wrong with either one. They were just starting to get the 2019s in, so that's why I got a good deal on my 2018 Signature.

·
Rally Racer
1,868 Posts

Well, you wont be able to haul sheets of plywood home very easily in the Mazda... [shrug]

·
Registered
243 Posts
I am over 80,000 kms on my 2018 Signature and I've found more than a few issues, none of which have been fixed by Mazda yet, and they started over a year ago. I had a 2016 Mazda3 GT before, which was a good car with next to no warranty issues.

Some of these have been observed by others, some have not:

1) Suspension knock noise, which has been replicated in other Mazda6s (there is a thread on this..a long thread)

2) Seat trim issue (you aren't getting a Signature, so you are avoiding this issue) (there is a thread on this as well)

3) Under-car sound isolation collecting ice/snow and needing to be cut off (done by dealership)

4) Odd transmission programing, abrupt torque converter engagement when first started (car likes to try to stay in second gear when coming to a brief stop)..jarring forward motion when torque converter engages

5) I am getting an oscillation/bouncing sensation now when moving from brake to gas...feels like something in the transmission, again, could be linked to torque converter engagement.
6) dry busing knock noise...I continually have to spray the bushings with silicone to keep them quiet.

7) Mazda dealer network - dealers have damaged my car when going in for warranty repairs...I've been to 4 dealerships and all but one have returned my car with damage/additional issues that still haven't been fixed.

I will be considering a different brand when I trade this car in...most likely next year.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of these issues. Are you in central Canada? Me, I just stay away from the dealer... Not a good answer, I know, and not based on negative issues experienced... but just the way I am with my cars. Also, I have a manual transmission " GX" trim car. Simple, stupid.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of these issues. Are you in central Canada? Me, I just stay away from the dealer... Not a good answer, I know, and not based on negative issues experienced... but just the way I am with my cars. Also, I have a manual transmission " GX" trim car. Simple, stupid.
I'm on the east coast of Canada. Trust me, I would stay away from the dealer if I could but with the warranty tied to the dealer, sorta haveta go.

I am learning the dealer lesson with this car, though.

·
Registered
617 Posts
You should be proud of me, GT Eyes, as I am one of the rare Western Canadians (Wet-Coast Canadian, in this case) who refers to Ontario as "Central Canada", lol. Most, here, speak of "the East".

Yeah, re value preservation of the car, you may want to stick by the dealer.

Me, though I still am on warranty, I don't care. I have done my own oil changes / filter changes - and have kept receipts. I have gone out of my way to purchase oil + filter from the selling dealer.

·
Registered
243 Posts
You should be proud of me, GT Eyes, as I am one of the rare Western Canadians (Wet-Coast Canadian, in this case) who refers to Ontario as "Central Canada", lol. Most, here, speak of "the East".

Yeah, re value preservation of the car, you may want to stick by the dealer.

Me, though I still am on warranty, I don't care. I have done my own oil changes / filter changes - and have kept receipts. I have gone out of my way to purchase oil + filter from the selling dealer.

Haha Don't even get me started on the Central Canada versus Down East...so annoying. :wink2:

Doing maintenance yourself is great and I would totally do it myself if I had the gear to...so good on ya!

Regarding the warranty...it's one of reasons I went with the Mazda..the unlimited KM warranty really appealed to me because I am such a high mileage driver (65,000kms or so a year), but it's really proving to be next to worthless because no one can fix the issues or Mazda just outright says it's not a "serviceable" part and never fixes it.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I am over 80,000 kms on my 2018 Signature and I've found more than a few issues, none of which have been fixed by Mazda yet, and they started over a year ago. I had a 2016 Mazda3 GT before, which was a good car with next to no warranty issues.

Some of these have been observed by others, some have not:

2) Seat trim issue (you aren't getting a Signature, so you are avoiding this issue) (there is a thread on this as well)

4) Odd transmission programing, abrupt torque converter engagement when first started (car likes to try to stay in second gear when coming to a brief stop)..jarring forward motion when torque converter engages

5) I am getting an oscillation/bouncing sensation now when moving from brake to gas...feels like something in the transmission, again, could be linked to torque converter engagement.

I will be considering a different brand when I trade this car in...most likely next year.
I have shortened your list, i.e. with your quote, above, GT Eyes - as I will respond to these three in particular.

First, you should not have these issues, for sure. But, re how to possibly fix them:

Seat Trim... is that metalized plastic, i.e. chromed plastic? That is NOT what you want, there, cuz it is brittle if the section size is inadequate... i.e. if too skinny. Can you fashion, yourself, some kind of stainless steel rod, or aluminum section... even square aluminum barstock, that has the same attachment arrangement as does the crappy OEM plastic trim... and can you drill / tap, whatever, to replace this junk with actual polished metal? PITA, yes, but mebe the only way to solve the issue.

Re your A/T... and what appears to be poor programing, or a fault of the A/T... I would say you just have to persist with the dealer. You COULD go to a National transmission shop, hopefully with a good rep., and have them assess what you are feeling. I suspect they could not fix it... but they could do a test drive report, that you could bring said report to Mazda. Then, persist... and talk to the regional Mazda rep.... or insist that the regional rep be contacted.

????

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have shortened your list, i.e. with your quote, above, GT Eyes - as I will respond to these three in particular.

First, you should not have these issues, for sure. But, re how to possibly fix them:

Seat Trim... is that metalized plastic, i.e. chromed plastic? That is NOT what you want, there, cuz it is brittle if the section size is inadequate... i.e. if too skinny. Can you fashion, yourself, some kind of stainless steel rod, or aluminum section... even square aluminum barstock, that has the same attachment arrangement as does the crappy OEM plastic trim... and can you drill / tap, whatever, to replace this junk with actual polished metal? PITA, yes, but mebe the only way to solve the issue.

Re your A/T... and what appears to be poor programing, or a fault of the A/T... I would say you just have to persist with the dealer. You COULD go to a National transmission shop, hopefully with a good rep., and have them assess what you are feeling. I suspect they could not fix it... but they could do a test drive report, that you could bring said report to Mazda. Then, persist... and talk to the regional Mazda rep.... or insist that the regional rep be contacted.

????

These are great suggestions. I appreciate you thinking them through! I may post a picture of the trim piece in the thread I started because I am sure people are interested in what the connectors look like on it.

I need to hire someone to manage the repairs on this car because it's nuts!

·
Registered
19 Posts
For what it's worth, it doesn't have remote start and the OEM one is rather... primitive, if you will. A Dick Tracy unit with a telescoping antenna is what they installed. At least they let me keep it for free when I refused to accept it since the one pictured in the website was different.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’m another happy 2018 GTR SRC owner, no regrets or complaints (other than the fragile paint), still love my car!

I highly recommend getting a clear bra/ paint protection on the front hood/ bumpers/ fenders immediately after taking delivery, otherwise you will be suffering paint chips within the first few hundred miles. I had Ghostshield applied and the shop told me the only car worse for fragile paint than Mazdas and Hondas are Teslas which get chipped during the home from the dealer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yep clear bra it if you care.

I drive ~75 each way to work. Hwy and city. I bought the car with 11,000 kms on it. It looked great, like new. 2,000 kms later it looked like it had a year of wear on it. To be fair there is a ton of construction happening on my route.

I put clear bra on after the first 2 weeks to mitigate any further damage. Wish I had done it right away like I did with the last car. Kind of wanted to see if it really made a difference though (it did...)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts