Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought this wagon for a good price on March 7, 2015. Didn't think I was buying another project car, but I did. I guess it explains the low price.

This thread is dedicated to installing my new 08 Fusion engine (12k miles, $400) and general mods and improvements I perform from here out.

After 7 days of driving around with a spare Fusion engine in the back of my Montana, I finally got it out of the van last night (May-14).

While it was on the hook, I pulled the exhaust manifolds, PS pump, and started removing wiring and such that I won't need.

I was hoping the manifolds would have some ebay value, but the front one is cracked and the rear one got slightly crushed with a bit of catalyst dust visible in the exit pipe. Ah well.

Since I had the upper intake off, I decided to lay it next to my 6 intake for comparison. Aside from 1 extra sensor seen in the upper left of the Fusion manifold, they're identical. So now I have a spare to grind on and modify for the 3.7 TB upgrade :)

Speaking of throttle bodys, I compared the 6 and Fusion units. Other than the poke-yoke rib being on opposite sides, the connector is identical. I trimmed the rib off the Fusion TB, plugged it into my car, and it did nothing. Hopefully I didn't mess it up. Plugged my stock TB back in, worked normally. I plan to look at some 6 vs. Fusion wiring diagrams, maybe it's an easy mod to move a few wires and get the Fusion 3.0 TB working. Worth a shot.

That was about it for night 1. The MPV laughs at its Duratech-eating cousins. I checked the oil last night since I know it's due for a change. In 4500 miles since the last change, which included ~2000 miles of towing a ~2000 lb trailer, it lost about a quart. This is with 193k on the clock. Damn I love that van.

More to come... soon I hope.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've been following this for a while and will continue to do so. Been doing a similar thing recently with my buddy's 2001 Mustang GT. Engine is currently stripped at a shop and being hot-tanked. Crank went in for a grind to fix the one cylinder that lost a main bearing. So far my Mazda wagon is running fantastic other than needing a new set of coils and plugs. I have the 5-spd auto with the factory trans cooler and it's great, if a bit short on mileage (wife averages about 19.5 with it and we see about 25-26 on highway trips). It does tow our little 4X8 utility trailer very nicely, so there is that. Good luck with the engine swap!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the support. Really can't wait to get this car on the road, but I'm just too busy lately with work and kids to dedicate much time to it.

On a slightly positive car note, I had to rent a van for work for a week, so I parked my shitbox Montana at work and have been driving this for the last 4 days. Pretty smooth ride, and that Chrysler 3.6 has some bawlz. Drove it from Chicago to Detroit the last 2 days, a beige minivan with nearly 300 hp is both amusing to drive and attracts very little attention.

Now that I've spent some time in a new Caravan, I wouldn't mind eventually getting the wife one of these...

since I used to have one of these...

Ok, enough minivan love. I sometimes can't help myself. Loved that 88, was probably my favorite car of all time.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I don't know this term "debbil", but I assume it means "smart/practical person."

Although in all honesty, there's nothing "mini" about them any more, which is what we love about our MPV. But alas, we will eventually have to replace it as our primary family machine. Need to have something to haul the kids, our stuff, tow our camper trailer a few times per year... minivan is just the best tool for the job. I can't get on board with all the bigazz "crossover" SUVs (Acadia, Explorer, Pilot, CX-9, etc). Too poser for me, huge swing-out rear doors for my kids to bang into things, and typically less overall space than a minivan. Oh, and they cost more. Fail.

As for getting dad to work and the occasional short family trip... the 6wagon gets it done like a boss. The kids love getting tossed through a few turns. Wife... not usually.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finished getting the Fusion wiring harness off the new engine last night, took off the front valve cover to take a look. So beautiful. Definitely planning to use the Fusion valve covers. Just so new.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No progress in a while. For fun the other night, I put the Fusion valve cover on the engine in my grey car (100% stock 6 engine with upper intake and valve covers off). I think the real test is the rear cover, since things are so tight with the shock tower and such. Guess I'll try that next when I have 5 minutes to spare. About all the time I ever have for cars these days...

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took a minute last night to look at the PCV situation on the Fusion vs. 6 valve covers. Both PCV valves/fittings were broken off the Fusion engine when I bought it. I worried that I'd have to buy ~$38 "heated PVC valves" to fit into the Fusion VCs. Luckily, the stock 6 PCV valve goes right in. Thanks Ford for not re-inventing that wheel.

However on the front VC, they had only a fitting, no valve in it. Same as the 6. Anyone know why you wouldn't have a PCV valve on each valve cover? Seems odd to have one side valved, and the other one free to flow in both directions. As if you're only "protecting" half the system.

The attachment method is nearly the same on both VCs, only the front one has one of the 2 locking tabs larger than the other so you can't accidentally install a PCV valve on the front. Can be done with a tiny bit of dremel work, which I think I want to do as long as no one gives me a good reason why you shouldn't have a PCV valve on each head.

Hoping to pull the blue car in the garage this weekend and start on the engine pull. I decided that it makes the most sense to get the junk blue engine out first, then work on putting the grey car back together. That way, I can use any parts off the blue car engine that might be needed (or in better shape) as I put the grey car engine back together. Mainly thinking timing chain tensioner/guides, as I think they are kinda noisy in the grey car, and I know they're silent in the blue car. Despite burning insane amounts of oil, the blue car engine is at least 10x cleaner inside the valve covers than the grey car engine. I think it was a well-maintained car by the previous owner, the dang precats just screwed it one day.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WTF... $45 per coil for the Fusion version? Ugggh, now I'm faced with this financial dilemma to stick with the Fusion VCs. Maybe I can find one cheaper elsewhere, but Rockauto is usually the best, ~$15 for the Mazda coils.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some people say take it out the bottom, some people say take the whole front end off the car and take it out the top/front... but I did neither. Engine and trans came out the top somewhat easily. Definitely needed a 2nd person as a spotter to keep an eye on things where I couldn't see (near the brake master cylinder, fuse box) but we got it out without breaking anything. I am debating whether or not I take the alternator off for the re-install (and/or the power steering pump), I guess it all depends on how much the removal of these items is going to make the engine install easier vs. how much hassle they will be to re-install once the engine is in.

Total hours of work from when I pulled the car in the garage to when the engine and trans were fully removed: about 7. Not too bad.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dang, tempting deal, but since my 5 coils have 12k on them and I'm on a sorta tight budget for this car, I'll probably just order the one off ebay. But if you'd possibly do 2 for $15, I could get down with that.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Chipped away at the project for a couple hours last night. Just working on getting the 6 engine broken down so the bits can start going on the Fusion engine.

I was excited to see a good brand of clutch installed...

But sad to see how much was left of it... :(

Flywheel and pressure plate look good though. Clutch action in this car felt great, sadly just not much clutch disc material left. Would be completely stupid to not replace it now.

Does anyone sell a clutch disc alone? Is it a huge concern to re-use a pressure plate? Doesn't exactly seem like the sort of thing that would wear out. I couldn't find any listings on the usual retail sites (Rockauto, Autozone, etc) that sold a disc alone, always a "clutch kit" with everything.

Engines starting to look a bit more 1:1. My goal was to have it on the engine stand last night, but it got late and I called it a night. I'll fire up the impact gun to get the flywheel off when I get home from work tonight.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts