Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I have a putt-putt 98 civic that's got no juice to it. I knew it was slow, but now that I've driven my wife's 6, the acceleration of my own car bugs me. Getting a different car for my self is not fiscally possible, so I was wondering if you all had recommendation on some mods I could add to give it a little extra oomph.

I've tried to check some civic forums, but the serious threads difficult to find within the "20's on my civvie woot-woot" and "coffee can exhaust=da bomb".

I'm thinking exhaust or CAI? I realize this isn't a civic forum, but the group is pretty savvy. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I'd say intake is your best bet. Maybe a reflash of the cpu, w/ hondata(i think)? I don't your going to get much more power without dropping a few k into the civic. O and if your want a decent exhaust go with Borla , its expensive but its the best bang for your buck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll keep searching those sites. Looks like the cheapest way to get any real performance is to get a new car...

That's ~4y down the road. 2010 mazda6, anyone?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Thats not true at all. I used to have a 99 civic and I loved it. Intake is definately the best bang for the buck and I would get AEM or j racing. And exhaust I would get something like spoon, apexi, rsr, tanabe.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats not true at all. I used to have a 99 civic and I loved it. Intake is definately the best bang for the buck and I would get AEM or j racing. And exhaust I would get something like spoon, apexi, rsr, tanabe.
[/b]
Thanks for making me a bit more excited. As far as exhaust goes, which of those allows the best gains without announcing my presence to the neighborhood like a locust plague?

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Bah, I'd say either be happy with what you have, or spend the two grand to swap in a 18b, k20, or one of the many other engine choices. You'll end up with a much faster, nimbler car than the '6. Almost anything inbetween is going to make the car louder without adding enough power to really satisfy you next to the '6. I'd do all or nothing.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
There are not enough Civic owners like you Monkey.

Those other guys with the chaulk-full-o-nuts exhausts and fifteen stickers lined down their spray painted green cars with $10 pepboys neons under their cars give civic owners a bad name.

For such a decent reliable car there sure are a large amount of jackasses that rice them out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are not enough Civic owners like you Monkey.

Those other guys with the chaulk-full-o-nuts exhausts and fifteen stickers lined down their spray painted green cars with $10 pepboys neons under their cars give civic owners a bad name.

For such a decent reliable car there sure are a large amount of jackasses that rice them out.
[/b]

I prefer understated performance to overstated crap.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I prefer understated performance to overstated crap.
[/b]
Then buy my buddy's 2000 Dx. :D B16 + Turbo. Complete sleeper. $10K

·
Registered
68 Posts
If I were you I'd save my money. The money you would spend ultimately on a number of smaller bolt on's for your civic could buy you better performance. What I mean by that if your going to spend money on an intake, exhaust, and a few other those few things could easily add up to something better such as a b16, b18, turbokit as stretch stated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
Priceless
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing