Mazda 6 Forums banner

161 - 180 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Do you use the adaptive cruise control during your 150 mile commute? Does it work well? (Sorry if you reviewed this elsewhere, I might have missed it)
Yes. Everyday. All the time. Anytime I can.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
614 Posts
It's all down hill from here.

Going to start off with a cheap homebrewed manual setup, but with good dual 444c compressors and a 5 gallon, 8 port tank so that will be future proof. Gonna run 2 switches, 1 front and 1 rear with a electric dual needle guage. When money permits, the management will change to either airlift auto pilot v2 or airlift 3s.

Now to gradually start ordering stuff.

I do want to build a box for the compressor and wires to reduce the noise level since this is my DD and the wife, 4yr old and 4month old ride in this car.

And im sure my 10 will be replaced with 1 or 2 8's of I dont have room for it after the install. It wouldnt be the end of the world to lose the woofer, but it makes my 150 mile daily commute easier.
Hey!! Love the build!!

I plan on having a small tank and compressor in my 1st gen at some point (coilover air cups) and had thought something great. I'm not sure how much room is under the plastic in the trunk of your car but there is a ton in the 1st gen. My plan is to have the compressor on 1 side and the tank on the other. Both sides could be made into a "box" kind of like a dog box found in old style vans. This way I could still have my 2 12s as well as the air assisted lift for speed bumps and or driveways.

Worth a shot to take a look behind the trunk liners to see what's back there. If anything, one could always build a stealth box to still keep the bump lol. Keep up the great work!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Hey!! Love the build!!

I plan on having a small tank and compressor in my 1st gen at some point (coilover air cups) and had thought something great. I'm not sure how much room is under the plastic in the trunk of your car but there is a ton in the 1st gen. My plan is to have the compressor on 1 side and the tank on the other. Both sides could be made into a "box" kind of like a dog box found in old style vans. This way I could still have my 2 12s as well as the air assisted lift for speed bumps and or driveways.

Worth a shot to take a look behind the trunk liners to see what's back there. If anything, one could always build a stealth box to still keep the bump lol. Keep up the great work!
After watching some YouTube and thinking about the 3rd gen truck, I have a few options for the compressors. They may fit in the 1/2 pair tire space, or I could put them in the corners where the storage trays are. If I tuck the tank up tight against the seat, I still should have room for the woofer without much sacrifice to trunk space.

I'll get it configured once I get the compressors and tank. I might run a 4 gal depending if there is a significant size difference between the two.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
This is my trunk goal. I dont know how to improve this design unless I can completely hide the compressors.

Courtesy of Andrey McCord and his 6 on air.

I should be able to have all parts my December and then I'll have to find the time to install. Maybe for my birthday (10Dec) I can ask for 48 hours of quiet time from the wife and kids.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Wow, that's a clean install. The only other thing I could think to try would be to see if the compressors could fit on the rear wheel wells behind the trim (see red and yellow). I see that the hinge system is different than the 1st gen so this could be an issue with clearance. Another thing one could do is to make some covers out of MDF or fiberglass to hide them (see blue). If I were to do that I'd make sure there was some sort of vent to let hot air out.

20190724_081552.jpg

However you go about it, I'm sure it will be fine. As far as getting away for 48 hours, good luck lol.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
My pockets are a lot lighter after ordering the Air Lift 3P kit, 2 viair 444CS and isolator kits.

Just need to get 3 water traps, tank, misc fittings and 4 new lead lines, all for 3/8 line. My dead line for completion is 01Jan20. I will run the electronics and lines, get the tanks installed and then have the car down for 1 day doing to d2 racing strut kit.

That should give me plenty of time to figure stuff out and figure out how to quiet down the compressors.

I'm also going to order a XS Power battery as well.

·
Registered
736 Posts
My pockets are a lot lighter after ordering the Air Lift 3P kit, 2 viair 444CS and isolator kits.

Just need to get 3 water traps, tank, misc fittings and 4 new lead lines, all for 3/8 line. My dead line for completion is 01Jan20. I will run the electronics and lines, get the tanks installed and then have the car down for 1 day doing to d2 racing strut kit.

That should give me plenty of time to figure stuff out and figure out how to quiet down the compressors.

I'm also going to order a XS Power battery as well.

Compressors sound are not that bad actually, the isolators definitely helps in quieting those suckers though.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Compressors sound are not that bad actually, the isolators definitely helps in quieting those suckers though.
That good to hear. Bc watching the YouTube videos have me worried.

I have a 4 month old and def dont want to wake her during a air up, lol.

But if they arnt that bad, they will be really quite buy time I finish, lol. That is my hope.

I will ne picking everything up Saturday from this Mustang shop by my sister house. Its owned by a guy a went to HS with. I try to help out locals and he gave me the absolute best price I could find, anywhere!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Just picked up 4 brand new Airlift 20997 leader lines for $40. I dont think the guy knew he had them priced wrong. I'll see if I receive them or not, lol.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
Lead lines arrived.

I need to see the if adapters from the old lines fit and see if the new lines will fit the rear bags; looks like they might ne too small.

Pickup my 3P, 444c's etc tmrw!

I still need to find a nice aluminum 4/5 gallon tank under 33" long and I should be able to keep my subwoofer.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
The mock up. I'm 99% sure this is going to be the setup. I will make some panels to hide the compressors and dynamat those on the underside.

·
Registered
614 Posts
The mock up. I'm 99% sure this is going to be the setup. I will make some panels to hide the compressors and dynamat those on the underside.
I don't see any pics lol. I'm sure it will look great from the pics in the "what did you do today" thread. I will say that I'm so glad that I don't need to deal with a stroller anymore. :LOL:

·
Registered
968 Posts
I went the expensive route and imported a Japanese brand, compared to the ones from the OP these have no visible logos and have better quality plastics, and yes, they ship to the US, as a gift they gave me two sets of Mazda 3 pre 17 face lift MZD screen protectors (works for CX3 and MX5 too). Which I still have with me.

Door Check arm cover

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00SD95JKG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ALbkBbKDPSPP7

Striker cover

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B01K1RQ5KU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_cObkBbBF06E9K

They also carry MZD screen protectors:

Make sure you select TYPE 02, and they are for 16-17 models with the 7inch display, also works for the 2017 Mazda 3 with the updated dash top.

I didn't read into product details, but Type 03 is for the CX-8 and 2017+ CX-5

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B078WNB9WP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_.QbkBb3H972ZM
If I may ask, what exactly is the purpose of those things? Does it do something like reducing noise or preventing rust or something?

I'm reading back and looking for the louvers' link and found this instead.
😀

·
Super Moderator
16,943 Posts
Keep up the good work man! I have no idea why (until like 2 minutes ago) I hadn't added this to my 1 stop shop under ride threads. You've put a ton of effort into the car and, while airbags aren't my thing, I appreciate and respect the amount and quality of work you've done!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Keep up the good work man! I have no idea why (until like 2 minutes ago) I hadn't added this to my 1 stop shop under ride threads. You've put a ton of effort into the car and, while airbags aren't my thing, I appreciate and respect the amount and quality of work you've done!
I am somehow lost... can you point me right now to this one stop shop? I'll save it on my browser and try to save the same on tapatalk.

·
Super Moderator
16,943 Posts
I am somehow lost... can you point me right now to this one stop shop? I'll save it on my browser and try to save the same on tapatalk.
Yeah, sorry. The link in my signature is currently broken and, because of the new site rules, I can't edit it without removing all other links......

It's a bit messy right now because I have to manually go in and update each link with the proper thread title, and I haven't gotten around to all of it. https://www.mazda6club.com/threads/3rd-gen-one-stop-shop.307129/

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
Finally! Do you have a link for this one? And these are called "louvers"?
Here you go: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/323697414837.

I like them and they are functional as you can still see clearly out that back window. My son likes them bc it keeps the sun out of his eyes. I get compliments on them when people realize they are there. They are quite sleek.
Thank you. I try to customize my cars, but still keep them simple. I dont like busy things that are all over the place. Subtle changes that the ordinary person wont really notice.

Thank you for taking notice!

161 - 180 of 207 Posts