Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this might sound quite odd, in fact I know it does however, I just wanted to ask people here if they know of any petroleum retailer here in the United States that specifically sells 91 Octane gasoline at any of their pumps...one of my cars only requires 91 octane and I think that putting a higher octane in the car isnt really worth it, and being that its a 6.0 litre V8 engine in the car, I figured even if I can save a little on every gallon while at the pump, over time, that may add up. However, if anyone has an idea, thanks. By the way, if it helps any, I live in the Metro Detroit area but the name of any American gas retailer would do. Thankyou.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Whether 91 or 93 is offered as "premium" varies with the state, not so much the retailer.

Head on out to California. Max they get is 91, no 93 offered.
[/b]
Same here in Colorado. 91 is premium. Part of the reason I have turned away from the Speed6.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Another thing to point out is that 91 and 93 are charged equally for relative to their lower-octane counterparts, so the folks that live in the 91-max-regulated states basically get jacked out of 2 extra points of octane. Good times.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn, thats pretty cool. All those offerings, especially for a mom and pop store. Well, the reason I want 91 octane is for my GTO. I figured, if its cheaper than a 93 or 04 octane gas then why not save a few cents on the gallon. However, finding it, has turned out to be a mission not really worth completing.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
thers 1 shell station that sells 91 and 93 at the same time. in ohio it was 93 and 94. My cars was reflashed from 91 to 93 since 91 is rare.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Man, its a tough find, but thats alright, according to other friends of mine, they've told me that the price for both 91 and 93 are the same, as mentioned here earlier, so I guess it doesnt matter. I havent really had much of a chance to open up the GTO as it is, so I guess its alright.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Generally speaking if 93 is offered in your state as Premium, then 91 is going to be hard to find. Occassionally in those states the off-brand stations will carry 91 rather than 93. But it's always going to be the 3rd grade, therefore it's always going to be roughly the same price.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Shit, with a car like the GTO, with its 6 litre engine, man, you have to really hold yourself back from going into super pursuit mode on the highway...shit.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Every station in Oklahoma has 91 octane gas. 87, 89, 91 are the standard 3 grades available. On brand name was selling 93 awhile back, but I think all the stations have closed down - at least here in OKC, but since I don't look for anything over 87 I could easily be wrong.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
When I was going to Penn State, the highest offered in State College (Centre County) I believe was 91. Those were the good ole days when $10 would buy enough gas for about 2-3 weeks.

On one of our road trips we passed through Kentucky and I believe Octane was as low as 86...labeled as economy.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
When I was going to Penn State, the highest offered in State College (Centre County) I believe was 91. Those were the good ole days when $10 would buy enough gas for about 2-3 weeks.

On one of our road trips we passed through Kentucky and I believe Octane was as low as 86...labeled as economy.
[/b]
I went to Denver last year and the gas was 85, 87 and 89. I was told the octane could be (was?) lower due to the altitude and running 85 at 5000 feet was the same as running 87 at sea level.

:headscrat:

Probably wasted my money, but I used the 87 anyway...

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its better to be safe than sorry. I guess in Denver when you're a mile above sea level that may change things a little, even though I dont think it can make that much of a difference!

·
Registered
122 Posts
91 octane.....what method? Or is that average? My dirt bike calls for 95 octance research method, and I run 93 octance (R+M)/2. I can't remember what "M" stand for, but I know it's usually a few octance lower than "R" (research) method. If your engine requires 91 research, you can probably get away with 89 octance (R+M)/2.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
91 octane.....what method? Or is that average? My dirt bike calls for 95 octance research method, and I run 93 octance (R+M)/2. I can't remember what "M" stand for, but I know it's usually a few octance lower than "R" (research) method. If your engine requires 91 research, you can probably get away with 89 octance (R+M)/2.
[/b]
Three types of octane ratings - RON (Research Octane Number), MON (Motor Octane Number) and PON (Pump Octane Number). PON = (RON + MON)/2

Octane Ratings

The difference between RON and PON is closer to 4-5 points than 2, PON is about 4 points lower than RON and about 4-5 points higher than MON. Although, in the bike running a slightly higher octane (91 PON vs 93 RON) won't hurt, you could get by with 89 PON. And if your car calls for 91 RON, 87 PON is just fine.

I have to check the drivers manual and see if it specifies. Is one of the two considered to be the norm??
[/b]
It may specify the Octane type RON or PON, but if not and it's a US sold auto (which it should be in MI) it should be PON number. If you bought it in Europe then the number is probably RON.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts