Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess this is the right section to post this in, since i'm a newbie lol :D :D

I'm in a bit of confusement on which HIDs to get. From my stance, 8k has always been my main decision but after reading this forum and other places that the light output is not good; has got me a bit worried and still undecided. I want the most blue I can get out of my lights, but if the 8k has bad output; i'll just go with the 6k. Problem is, I want to go with the 8k but afraid I won't be happy with the results :( :(

People with 8k can you please give me your experience with them?

Thank you ahead of time!

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I guess this is the right section to post this in, since i'm a newbie lol :D :D

I'm in a bit of confusement on which HIDs to get. From my stance, 8k has always been my main decision but after reading this forum and other places that the light output is not good; has got me a bit worried and still undecided. I want the most blue I can get out of my lights, but if the 8k has bad output; i'll just go with the 6k. Problem is, I want to go with the 8k but afraid I won't be happy with the results :( :(

People with 8k can you please give me your experience with them?

Thank you ahead of time!
[/b]
Had mine for a while now and no problems. It won't be as bright as the 4500k or 6000k bulbs but still alot brighter then stock.

There The first pic shows the output at night in the rain.... on the garage.
That pic wasn't taken to long ago. Maybe a month or so. I've had the kit since the begining of last winter..

The second pic shows how bright it is in the middle of the daylight.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Had mine for a while now and no problems. It won't be as bright as the 4500k or 6000k bulbs but still alot brighter then stock.
[/b]
+1

The total output difference in the xtec kit between 6k and 8k is only like 300 lumens

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guy for the help, i feel more confident about getting the 8k now :drive:

Just a few more questions I have though.

The kit i was going for is Apexcone, http://www.therpmstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=38

I know there are numerous posts about installing HIDs, but can I, a mechanically challenged high school student get it done? lol. Would there be anything that would be might of challenge for me? I'm so eager to learn and how to do more mods as i keep reading on here! :drive:

Also, do you guys have the glare mod on your HIDs? was it hard to do?

Once again, thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Thanks guy for the help, i feel more confident about getting the 8k now :drive:

Just a few more questions I have though.

The kit i was going for is Apexcone, http://www.therpmstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=38

I know there are numerous posts about installing HIDs, but can I, a mechanically challenged high school student get it done? lol. Would there be anything that would be might of challenge for me? I'm so eager to learn and how to do more mods as i keep reading on here! :drive:

Also, do you guys have the glare mod on your HIDs? was it hard to do?

Once again, thanks for the help!
[/b]
I have the glare mod done on mine. But for me it was easy as hell. I baked my headlights and took them apart to install the DDE's and paint the bezel. so while it was taken apart I just took out the little metal piece. I don't think it'd be TO hard to get out if you had to do it while the thing was still together though. Jus tpatience on working it out and some elbow greese breaking it lose.

As for installing the kit. I did mine no problem. It was the first time I have ever installed an HID kit. and I whent off no install guide becasue I could not find one on the McCulloch set I got. I think the biggest part of it all was just A. drilling the hole in the dustcap for the wires to go through without screwing it up. Which I did. adn B. Finding a place to mount the Ballast. Wihch getting an intake pretty much made it eawsy when I relocated where it was placed lol..

and C. Removing the bumper. Which I have done so many times now it literally takes me about 2 minutes to get it fully off lol. as I'm sure it's the same way with many other members and will be with you as well.

Just look around. read the directions. Post and searc hthe forum for any questions or if anytihng doesn't make sense. Pretty much you are just tapping in to the wires that are connect fo rth eheadlights. and splicing and sodering the new power and ground from the HID's to it. I BELEIVE. dont' tak emy word on that as it's bee na while since I did my install. That is unless you get a wire harness. I beleive the install is even easier with one of those.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts