Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well probably not as cheap as jrsy91gmc's PVC CAI.

Parts list:

From Pep Boys:

3A Racing 3x5" chrome oval exhaust tip
SKU: 28-2471
Price: $11.99

2" HD Universal Flexible Tail Pipe
SKU: 0-43645-10476
Price: $5.99

From Lowes:

2" Hub Coupling
SKU: 23462
Price: $3.27

Total: $21.25

For one, the little writing on the exhaust tip's label is a total lie, it says it fits pipes up to 3", it doesn't.

I went through the usual spiel of tearing out the airbox again. I took the rubber piece of the coupling out from the metal bands and stuffed it into the airbox hole, slid the metal bands back over it and then the flexible tail pipe up the middle and tightened the bands all the way down, nice snug fit.

Like I said with the exhaust tip, the mounting brackets with it do not fit, so I had to think quickly. I grabbed my dremel tool and poked two holes in the pipe to tap screws through it to mount the tip onto the pipe. Then taking the bottom half of the mounting bracket and bringing the two flanges together with my boot, I managed to fit it into the pipe and screw it down for a tight fit. Now I was ready for the fitting to see how it would all work out. Dropping the box back in was a cinch, no problems there. Then I got down below and popped out the little plastic piece on the front of the bumper and found my only problem.

The tail pipe is about an inch or two too long, I can get the tip up to the hole that is there now, but for a fit and finish look, I'm going to have to trim the pipe down by about a inch and a half to two inches, but I will save that for another day.

No road testing yet, I will see if I can tonight and pictures will be coming soon.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Reading Topic: 84FordMan's El-Cheapo CAI

Can't wait to see the pics. Sounds interesting.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Replying to Topic '84FordMan's El-Cheapo CAI'

Hey man... you can't have your own CAI... I was first. You're gonna have to name it the "84Fordman modification to the original jrsy91gmc homemade CAI"...;)

Is 2.5" tubing too big, or did they just not have it? Admittedly, this news about the fumes being potentially hazardous to my engine has got me looking to get metal tubing ASAP. It'd be nice if I could use something from now till whenever I find my tubing and get it bent...

And I'm diggin the exhaust tip idea... probably works especailly well since it's being attached to exhaust tubing... hurry up man, throw some pics up!!! If we all work together we'll have one heck of a CAI setup goin on!!!

I think I'm gonna go scour Advance and Auto Zone tonite (we don't have Pep Boys here... :( )

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

PICS!!!

·
Registered
895 Posts

OK, someone needs to get some serious dyno action on these mods because I'm getting itchy to get in there and start tearing restrictors off. This looks too damn fun not to do!

·
Registered
826 Posts

Looks good man...

I actually got the same flex pipe tonite... mine was 2 3/8" though... just did fit inside my coupler...

I painted my tubing black so it's not so conspicuous looking...

Thinkin of tryin to fab up a fiberglass "scoop" that will cover the entire opening from the back... I'll keep you guys posted if this goes down...

·
Registered
383 Posts

So are you guys going to seal up the other airbox openings so you'll get a ram-air effect at speed?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

will the fact that the flex pipe is not smooth on the inside affect the airflow or performance?

·
Registered
6,771 Posts

I would think the air would tumble more, but the tumble would be more than offset by the air intake temperature.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Hey 84,

did you take out the little flapper device? part of that covers the resonator intake doesn't it? Are you going to put the tuba pipe back in? That hole in the front is prolly not helping by sucking in warm air.

Oh, one other thing....how long is the flex tube? The pep boys near me said it was 18 inches, is that long enough?

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Yeah I believe the one I have is 18" long, certainly looks it, but like I said, you will probably have to saw off an inch or two for a better fit than mine right now.

Still running the full naked air box, no tuba, no flapper, no tray. I will probably end up putting the tuba back in to help keep the hot air coming off of the radiator out of the box. I'll most likely leave the flapper off, it will open up anyway when the throttle is depressed and I hardly leave the car idling long enough for the flapper to have an effect either way.

·
Registered
168 Posts

Originally posted by davecoyne

I would think the air would tumble more, but the tumble would be more than offset by the air intake temperature.[/b]
Tumble shouldn't matter before the air filter...

·
Registered
826 Posts

I used Auto Zone flex pipe... it's 18". You don't have to saw it unless you stick a "scoop" on the end... with a little tweaking, I got mine in without trimming (no scoop)...

I put the tuba back on, but am still running without flapper...

·
Registered
878 Posts

Just to let everyone know, I have closed off the tube & flapper and installed a 2.5 " exhaust pipe straight down into the fender well.

The engine seems to have much better response now but has lost some of the sound. I think leaving the flapper open defeats the purpose of cold air intake. My only concern would be if I'm getting enough air ? What do you guys think ?

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I was wondering if it was just my ears going or I just got used to the sound (Like how I've gotten used to the stereo on 11 or 12 being normal, whereas 6 or 7 was normal when I first got it :) ) because I felt the sound was gone too, still present, but much more muted.

Like I said about the flapper I don't really think it matters in or out, I think only the tuba will make a difference. Since without vacuum the flapper is wide open and with vacuum (engine running) it's either open or partially open, so it's still taking in air regardless and as the engine demands more air, it opens up all the way. It may let a little less air in than without it, but I think the results of having it in are neglible.

As for enough air, meat6, just think how it was before, the only source of air before was just through the flapper, so you've provided it with much, much more air than before.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: 84FordMan's El-Cheapo CAI

True , but I closed off the tube now and sealed off the flapper too. So do you think with both of those closed I will get enough air with just the pipe ?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

I decided to try 84’s CAI pipe design, I got the same exact pieces minus the exhaust tip and installed them just the same way, it was really easy and I didn’t have to go behind the wheel well. Since I don’t want a hole where the fog light would go, I’m going to drill out the slots in the plastic piece that covers that bumper hole so its looks and acts like a grille.

I haven’t had a chance to test it yet but I will tonight. I’m still running the stock air filter and I haven’t removed the tuba piece or flapper. It does seem quieter though.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Well, after testing the homemade CAI pipe, I can say that it is definitely quieter than running with an open airbox. It doesn't seem to produce more power, but I feel the power kickin now at a lower RPM....right around 2,800 RPM.

Given this, I think this shows the potential of a possible true CAI. While this mod is certainly a worthy stopgap, a true CAI would be evern better as it should provide a more smooth direct path of airflow. In addition a true CAI will prolly be larger in diameter, giving you more air volume. Today I plan to drill holes in the grille piece which will allow me to put the piece back in with better airflow.

·
Registered
334 Posts

somebody capture some sounds with this new homemade cai please. and also we'll be waiting for that dyno result if any of yall are going to hit it! wooohohohoho

1 - 20 of 26 Posts