Mazda 6 Forums banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

Registered
Meh. I'm nearly 200,000 miles on my "6", MTX, and I'm NOT nice to it. My foot is in it regularly.

No issues.

Registered
Much respect! You literally saved a manual! :)

Super Moderator
Cleaned up the nonsense. Sorry it took so long - just got notified about this a few days ago.

Registered
To lay this post to rest. Mechanic buddy took the blown engine apart. He said the timing guide dropped which is what caused the failure...hope everyone had a great Holiday.
Should have used a thicker oil and not driven over 55.

Just kidding, just kidding 馃榾

Registered
To lay this post to rest. Mechanic buddy took the blown engine apart. He said the timing guide dropped which is what caused the failure...hope everyone had a great Holiday.
Timing guide -- you mean the timing chain tensioner/guide? Well that's a first from what I've heard of on these engines but there's always a first for everything... that'll do it though.

Usually when timing chains and components in the path go they give you plenty of warning first (and some nasty-sounding noises), but not always. That's one advantage you USUALLY have over a belt, which typically fails with zero warning (thus the requirement to do them on-interval.) I've seen several oil pump drive chain tensioner failures over the years but most of those are on engines well beyond 200k miles, but it's not something that is usually much of a concern in the timing path.

Glad you got a diag on what caused it -- sounds like a random bad part thing and likely nothing you could have done about it.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts