Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i was on tire racks site and for spped6 it lists 7.5 and 8 inch wheels available...can i use 8" without modifacations? more rubber on ground would be nice..

·
Registered
54 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doh, might need a fender roll then...
[/b]
ok this is gonna sound stupid..but what exactly is a fender roll..sounds like it might f#*k up my car..again i apologize...i'm new to this..my wife always had the nice car and i drove the pos..well shes gone and i finally got myself something cool

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
fender rolling is when you bend the metal in the rear fender well in so that it doesn't damage the rear tire. Search for more info, as it has been discussed MANY TIMES.

As far as looks, it will not look any different from the outside, and will definately not fuck up your car

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
go to the wheel & tire section and use the search key. i posted a bunch of stuff there. u can also check out mazda6tech for more info as stretch has a whole write-up about tire sizing.

·
Registered
54 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
what max size tire can a 18x8 rim take? I really think this car needs some more lovin' than 215's ... maybe 235's ?

·
Registered
44 Posts
18x8 235/40 should be entirely possible. There are actually people running that on this forum IIRC. It's also what I plan putting on for the summer (i.e. most of the year here in Texas). The only question is if you can find a wheel you like and that has a decent offset. Offset determines how far the tire sticks out in the direction of the fender. Bigger offset sticks out less. Ideally it would be something like 55 or 50 but I didn't find any except the RX8 wheel perhaps. But a 48 (rare) or a 45 (not so hard to find) should work, too but you might have to roll the fenders which I think is no big deal if you get it done professionally.

Zoomspeed

Dabear,

in how far will 225 give the best performance. Are you talking about best compromise of tire patch to tire weight ratio? In terms of acceleration and unsprung mass I hear a 17x7 wheel is supposed to be best. But I am not sure if it's good to run a 225 on a 7inch wheel, suppose 7.5 would be alright.

I admit that even if 235 isn't the best performance I'd probably go for it because I like the look and am by no means a performance driver (well, by means of me dreaming perhaps :)).

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
18x8 RX8 Wheels - 50MM Offset - 235/40/18 Falken Azenis ST115 - No fenders rolled...

Your rubbing may vary :)

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
When I said that 225 will give the best performance, it is because it is designed to go on a 7.5"-9" wheel. A 235 is designed for an 8"-10" wheel. When putting a 235 on an 8" wheel, there will be more sidewall give and roll than if you run a 225. For straight drag racing, a 235 will give you more contact patch, but for everyday driving, go with a 225.

(Thank you Toyo Guy for a lot of this info that I spewed back out)

·
Registered
676 Posts
When I said that 225 will give the best performance, it is because it is designed to go on a 7.5"-9" wheel. A 235 is designed for an 8"-10" wheel. When putting a 235 on an 8" wheel, there will be more sidewall give and roll than if you run a 225. For straight drag racing, a 235 will give you more contact patch, but for everyday driving, go with a 225.
(Thank you Toyo Guy for a lot of this info that I spewed back out)
[/b]
so then no 225 on our 18x7 stock rim ... right?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks Wiggum, I know you are a big defender of the 235/40/18 message :). Looks sweet, by the way. From your first hand visual estimate, would you say there is still 5mm of room towards the fender so that even a 45 offset would fit? I mean if I gotta roll, I'll roll but if I can save myself the hassle, I'd rather.

Dabear, I got you now. Thanks for the explanation. It seems that different tires have different recommendations from the manufacturers, a range and an ideal measurement. Perhaps toyoguy can help here as I was looking at the Toyo T1R?

TIA

Zoomspeed

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
On a 45MM 8 inch wheel you are going to have to roll.... and the wheel still make look stupid..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wiggum, thanks for the reply. What do you mean "may look stupid"? You mean it will stick out too much? In terms of diameter proportion it is still the same, no? Do you know of any other wheels except the RX8 wheel that is 18x8 with OS50mm? I haven't found any at all. 48mm is the best I found.

This is one that I really like the look of http://www.machiii.net/wheels/AVS/SERIESV.html . Costs an arm and a leg but is gorgeous, tough only 45mm.

This one exists in 48mm but is even more expensive http://www.machiii.net/wheels/AVS/T6.html.

I should put a search request into the tire board.

Thanks for al your input. Toyoguy, if you read that I'd really like to know what you recommend as wheel width for the 18x8 235/40 T1R.

Best greetings,

Zoomspeed

·
Registered
721 Posts
Rim width is a black science. Most of the recommend rim width specs you read from the tire manufacturer are buffered to avoid problems that could lead to lawsuits.

I used to work at a wheel and tire shop for 2 years and i saw all kinds of messed up combos that never had any problems, like tiny little 195/65/15 stretched across a 15x8" 100 spoke wire wheel that was completely not street legal but it worked. FYI the recommend rim width was 5"-7"!

I personally ran a 225/40/18 on an 18x7 on my old 626 for 5 years with no issues on and off the track (circuit and strip), so i wouldn't sweat that combo too much.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
18 Participants
bfischer
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing