Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... today was my first day of the commute with my new MS6. At around 70-75mph I feel a vibration in the wheel when accelerating. I made sure it wasn't a tire balance problem. This does not occur when I put the car in neutral at that speed. I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this. The car has 100 miles on it.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
580 Posts
Hey guys... today was my first day of the commute with my new MS6. At around 70-75mph I feel a vibration in the wheel when accelerating. I made sure it wasn't a tire balance problem. This does not occur when I put the car in neutral at that speed. I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this. The car has 100 miles on it.

Thanks,
Dave
[/b]
Could be part of the breaking in process. My MS6 is 2 weeks old (today) w/ 245 miles and it does some noises but it's been like that with all the new cars we've had. So I'll see... if the noises dont go away later, then there is cause for concern.

·
Registered
166 Posts
i don't know what it is all of a sudden, but i know my car hasa broken axle, and cherryspeed on this forum seems to have problems in the rear end of his ( i am thinking axles also) i would definately ask your mazda dealer about it, because you never know what it could be). Unless anyone else has any suggestions?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea... thats what I was thinking. Haven't really gotten on it yet, trying to break it in nicely. ;) Its weird cause at 80mph it kicks ass... no vibration, on and off the throttle.

Could be part of the breaking in process. My MS6 is 2 weeks old (today) w/ 245 miles and it does some noises but it's been like that with all the new cars we've had. So I'll see... if the noises dont go away later, then there is cause for concern.
[/b]

·
Registered
851 Posts
Yea... thats what I was thinking. Haven't really gotten on it yet, trying to break it in nicely. ;) Its weird cause at 80mph it kicks ass... no vibration, on and off the throttle.
[/b]

take it in. sounds to me like a wheel off balance

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I got rust all over my rims rear passenger.

I have no idea what it is but that &^*% will not come off easily. It's all over...

·
Registered
851 Posts
some kind of chemical reaction? Did you drive through any construction zones?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
its a wheel that isnt balanced.

take it in.

there isnt much of a way you can self check if a wheel is not balanced.

·
Registered
489 Posts
If a wheel is out of balance, the vibration would occur independent of accelerator position. He already said it vibrates only when under load, not when coasting. My guess is a bad CV or out of balance driveshaft.

Try doing the same thing with the parking brake lightly engaged. (This will disable the rear coupler and not send power to the rear differential.) If the vibration persists, there's something amiss in the front drivetrain. If the vibration goes away, the problem is somewhere in the rear.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool... I'll try that tomorrow.

If a wheel is out of balance, the vibration would occur independent of accelerator position. He already said it vibrates only when under load, not when coasting. My guess is a bad CV or out of balance driveshaft.

Try doing the same thing with the parking brake lightly engaged. (This will disable the rear coupler and not send power to the rear differential.) If the vibration persists, there's something amiss in the front drivetrain. If the vibration goes away, the problem is somewhere in the rear.
[/b]

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I tried that, the vibration was still there. I am starting to lean towards the balance thing cause It does appear to happen with throttle or no throttle. This makes me feel better. I am going to take it in. When I put those Altima se-r wheels/tires on, the vibration may go away! ;)

[/b]

·
Registered
127 Posts

Thanks,
Dave
[/b]
Yes, I had that but at the same time I had an engine light on which I did not notice. Do you?

·
Registered
867 Posts
i wouldn't even be going 70 mph during the break-in period. theres a break-in period for a reason.

·
Registered
391 Posts
70 mph shouldn't be any problems at all during break in.
[/b]
+1. To properly break in the car it should be driven normally at a range of speeds. If you baby it during break-in, it won't "break-in" at all.

Don't race it, don't take it immediately to the drag strip, but don't pussyfoot either. Drive normally at a variety of speeds and avoid a constant speed for long periods of time (cruise control).

If in doubt, refer to the manual for this exact same information.

·
Registered
851 Posts
read what this guy has to say. every 4g63 race/street motor i have built i have broken in this way.
His method is contriversial and open to a lot of debate, but I have used it with 100% success. and I have had motors make in upwards of 800-900hp.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

1 - 16 of 16 Posts