Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 6s has around 55000km on stock tires, lately we been getting a lot of snows, it slides and stuck once i stop all the time, really got me scared driving this car on a icy road, anyone else having the problem? i checked my tires, still have 50% at least, TCS doesn't do much...really..dammm...even my friends camry does better than i am..><

·
Registered
420 Posts
I love my wagon in the snow, just remember the E-Brake is your friend. I was at the safeway parking lot doing donuts with a Nissan Skyline

·
Registered
542 Posts
When it comes down to it, its probly your tires! Our stock micheline is useless in the dry, the wet, and the snow. After I switched them up for the Bridgestone G009 everything is much better!! :D

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I'm fine with my stockies and I live in North Van.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I'm on the stock Michelins with 64K on the clock at the moment.

My tires are pretty much useless these days. Just earlier today, I was leaving home to take my wife to work, got stuck backing out of the driveway. Got unstuck, only to get stuck again a 20 yards further down the road. Got unstuck again... only to have the same repeat itself a third time.

So, I gave up... wife called in sick. In total I got about 250 yards from the house and back again in about 40 minutes.

These tires need to get changed real bad.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
tires make a huge difference... and turn off your TCS if you are trying to go up a hill or start off. TCS when engaged slows your car down and almost stops it

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I'm not running stock tires (RE050A) but can say that the Exclaim UHPs I put on (235/40) were decent enough in the snow today. My knee is not great still but I can bend it enough to operate a clutch, so I drove my wife to work today. Polished ice was a challenge, and I had to take it very carefully at those spots, but that's pretty well the same for all tires. Otherwise the tires were pretty good in fresh snow, packed snow, frozen snow, slush and combinations of all the preceding.

I bought the Exclaim's primarily on weight, cost, good dry grip, and great wet weather traction but also expecting them to be somewhat usable in the snow. I didn't expect to have to subject them to much snow since we seldom get much here in Vancouver. The tires did not disappoint. They also met my expectatios in the rain.

On another note, the MS6 is great fun in the snow! I can induce power oversteer very easily, with some judicious throttle application. It is so satisfying (and fun) to finally be free of plowing wide on every corner, and being able to rotate the back end. Can't wait for some more fresh snow to play in!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Any "all Season" tire will suck in the snow once it approaches the 50% wear mark. What tread that is left quickly gets plugged up with snow, and the tire starts to spin. New all-seasons will fare well, but as the KMs rack up, they will get worse and worse. It's not as much the tread pattern as it is the compound. Once the weather gets below freezing, the tires get so hard they loose a lot of the flexability and grip that they give in warmer weather. Summer tires are 100% useless in this temperaturte - you get zero grip even when the roads are dry.

If you want traction on snow and ice, buy a set of snow tires and steel rims. It is the only choice if you want confident handling in the snow. Once you do that, you'll never want to go back to all seasons in the winter - they are THAT much better.

As for turning the TCS off, I disagree. The last thing you want is the wheels spinning furiously. If it is an automatic, put it in "Tiptronic" mode and be light on the gas. If it is a manualy, be very slow and gentle on the clutch and easy on the throttle. Gunning the car will get you nothing but burried. The key to driving on slippery surfaces is to be gentle, slow and deliberate with the controls of the car.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I wish I was at home to test out my snow tires. I'm in Atlanta this week and Im missing playing in the snow with the MS6 on the Dunlop M3's.

:(

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Michelin's are useless tires unless they are brand new. They wear so damn fast. Mine lasted me for only about 60K and were bald at that point. I'm using Hankook's right now. Maybe I will get a set of snows if it gets worse, but then again...that damn clutch that I need to get will set me back so far that I won't be getting anything but gas for my car for a while.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I just put on a set of Blizzaks on my '03 CR-V, and it's sweeter than white chocolate mocha :)

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Its the tires. I can testify that those stock michilins are pretty crappy in snowy conditions. I had them last season and was scared to drive in the snow too.

I now have a set of Bridgestone G009's and I love em! They've performed well in slush and ice and snow these past few days, I feel like hercules!

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Michelin's are useless tires unless they are brand new. They wear so damn fast.
[/b]
These tire wear awfully fast and on top of that they probably don't come with a lot of tread to begin with. Lots of tires will have 10/32" of tread when brand new. These Pilots probably have 8/32 off the shelf.

These tires really have no redeeming features at all... look at the attached image courtesy of 1010tires.com:

[attachmentid=17438]

This tire's rated "good" at best, and then only in dry conditions... and its expensive as heck too, making me wonder why anyone in their right mind would choose to put this tire on any car.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I think the car manufacturers have a deal with Michelin and they basically give them these tires for free or for next to nothing...which is why they charge so much for them if you buy them, to recover the costs of selling them dirt cheap to the car manufacturers.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I know this sounds uber lame, but 1000 FTW

Okay, back to non-contiguous file allocation schemes...

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I put my car into storage this year for multiple reasons.

1st...getting married and still in school for 3 months working 20 hours a week something had to go....until I regained full time hours.

2nd....when I come back to work at full time its going to be the dead of winter. I had so many fishtails last year at low speeds, and too many close calls with snow packed tires that this year and every year from here onout....my car is being stored.

The stockers absolutely suck in the snow. I'm sure the car does better in full on snow tires...but I haven't that kinda mola right now.

But before Harroon can say it ;).....maybe I just need to learn how to drive in snow :)

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I know this sounds uber lame, but 1000 FTW

Okay, back to non-contiguous file allocation schemes...
[/b]
NERD! :)

NTFS or FAT32? Or maybe you prefer ext2, etx3, ufs etc?

But before Harroon can say it ;).....maybe I just need to learn how to drive in snow :)
[/b]
Darn, beat me to it :)

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
My old Accord came with those crappy Michelins too, so I can also testify to their crappiness. Crappy in all conditions, dry, wet, snow, etc. My Accord was a V6, but for some reason the I4 models came with IMO much better Bridgestone Turanzas as original equipment.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts