Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just got a '04 6s with the 3.0 v6 and have liked it...the leather is great, sunroof...nice all around. The engine can jam when pushed to high rpm's but as we know it seems low-end is weak. I'm coming from a WRX with stage 2 catted downpipe, uppipe, greddy cat-back, etc. so the 6 is lacking in the "punch" area. I was wondering what everyone does as a starting point to get a few extra horses out of the v6. The Rex was wrecked due to some soft wash-out sand, a spin, and several "love taps" of very large, sturdy brick structures (airbag deployment and good performance in the braking/bob-and-weave area allowed me to walk away with a few bumps and lacerations). Where's a good place to begin and where is a good place to buy/install in the Orange Park/Jacksonville area to get hooked up with? Nothing crazy, maybe just some engine management and exhaust. The 6 has decent power, just want mooooore. Thanks all! -Brian (medic)

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
CPE intake (therpmstore.com)

CPE Headers (therpmstore.com)

If you have an ATX, then CPE tranny...

And for sound, magnaflow exhaust (therpmstore.com) Don't let anyone tell you that magnaflows increase HP on the 6, because they don't

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
With the intake however, you won't hear the exhaust at high RPM's :D Sorry to hear about the WRX, but you'll enjoy the 6. Its probably a little bigger than you're used to, but you'll get used to it. Welcome to the club and please put your location in your profile.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Subie...was it an STi?

Well you've come to the right place....if your a gear head...check out the engine/drivetrain forums....lots a good discussion in there....

If your local to a club...meet some fellow members by going to a meet....its always fun times....

Welcome to the club....and remember...the search tool is your friend....;)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the friendly replies. No, my WRX wasn't an STi (you should see the insurance quotes on those things!!). But I had a catless TurboXS uppipe, Helix catted downpipe, Greddy EVO2 catback, Cobb Accessport Stage 2...plus about 800 watts stereo (Fosgate, Treo, CDT, Soundstream, Alpine). It was my dream car. At the track with zero launching experience I managed a [email protected] pass. I know it could do MUCH better with practice (prob high 13's). There were EVO's there doing 13.0 passes! I could beat 350Z's and even hold off late-model Mustangs with exhaust work until midway through 3rd. Modded SRT4 Neons got a good look at my tail-lights. They like to "pshhhh" their BOV's a lot but it must make them mad when i jump ahead and they can't gain any ground through 115. I walked away from the wreck but whacked my head and was seeing tweety birds circling my head for a good 5 days. First wreck, crystal-clear driving record until then. insureance doubled. Gotta recommend Progressive because they were on the ball and handled everything fabulously. Anyway, I will check into these engine management options and headers...the 6 was to be my interim car until I could get another Subie but man, once you've been bitten by the "mod" bug you can't really shake it. MMMM, a nice throaty exhaust would be niiiice.
I initially thought the 6 to be fairly slow...it's not really at all...the luxury and quiet nature of it make it seem slower, it just took time to get used to the performance envelope/clutch/power curve.
On another note, the audio system makes it difficult to mod, and I know they sell aftermarket dash kits, but does anyone have experience with adding on to the existing system such as a amplified Bazooka or Inifinity Basslink?
I'm in the Mazda camp for now. Thanks guys. :drive:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
medic
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing